Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: Squatters  (Read 23132 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #150 on: August 29, 2007, 02:07:27 pm »

Heh.  We had a francophone student of the flamboyantly gay ilk visit us last night along with my friend who has sponsored him over on a summer program.  So to bring things vaguely on track.. he was complaining in a French/gay accent about her having him meet her in a sort of bad part of town.  I sort of chuckled because that part of town is much nicer/safer than my neighbourhood(the one we were walking through as he said this).  I enjoyed pointing out the gang graffities and boarded up arson-burnt houses to him and he grew more and more uncomfortable.

I was actually thinking about the poutine posts here on Friday.  Locally, you can even get poutine at KFC.  For a dollar more you can have any value meal turned into a poutine meal - you get more fries, cheese curds and really tasty chicken gravy.  Eating a fried chicken sandwich with poutine is staggeringly bad for you, but I didn't think about this when ordering.  Anyway, it was tasty, but I also worried that I am killing myself with food.  Like many of the animals here, I am going into pre-hibernation mode.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Squatters
« Reply #151 on: August 29, 2007, 02:17:05 pm »

Quote
take-away curry
So, this is just Indian food, right? Like... why do people from British Isles Areas talk about this food so much.


also: smells my dad told me a story recently about how when he first moved to LA, he would have to walk across the street to a convenience store to call my mom (they were dating at the time) who still lived in Amherst (University of Massachusetts). He would always eventually say that the area where he lived was really sketchy, and he wanted to get back to his apartment, he was afraid of break-ins, etc etc.

Years later, when they lived in LA, they would occasionally drive down that street and laugh. that was, apparently, actually a pretty nice part of LA.

I do the opposite in St Louis. When I am in a bad part of town I just get really excited looking at all the cool old buildings. At least, I think? I have no idea what constitutes a bad part of town. I am really bad at judging this.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2007, 02:23:12 pm »

A friend who lived in London for a few years told me the "curry" is just insulting there.  Totally bland and unflavourful.  Perhaps emmdee can tell us if this is the case in his part of Wales?  Granted I was out at the best Indian restaurant in the city last night.  Samosas and Butter Chicken and Vegetable Korma, oh my! You can order curry so hot here that you can see through time when you eat it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

mavies

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 51
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2007, 02:56:02 pm »

Sideshow, at least you're killing yourself with nice food. You could choke on artichoke tomorrow, so make the most of it!

 Whenever I've had curry in Merthyr it was been pretty good. I couldn't eat the proper spicy ones, I aint really into self torture. The chicken korma used to rock my proverbial socks. I'm not the best person to ask though: I spent most of my time there so stoned I'd have eaten week-old puke if someone had put it on a plate, chucked some sugar on top and called it porridge. And enjoyed it. I guess it's so popular (curry, not puke) because of the old british empire. There's quite a few indian words been incorporated into the language, so it's probably something similar. Wait.. that aint linguistics, is it?

I used to live in the "bad" part of town.. In Britain that usually means  council estates. The place I lived, the Gurnos, had a hell of a reputation. There was gang graffiti a-plenty, and more chavs than you can shake a lead pipe at. I never had anything happen to me, but I didn't live there long and hardly left the house. Someone there found a dead baby in their attic once, and there were a fuckload of junkies. You could pretty much get any high you wanted within a few minutes walk. It looked the part, too.. row upon row of identical grubby houses with boarded up windows, the odd burnt out car and empty white lightning bottles and cans of carling strewn across the place.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2007, 03:30:23 am »

I adore Indian food and seeing photos of chavs online. I've never seen a British chav IRL...although with the white trash and gangstas we have in Aurora, there are plenty of American chavs.

I kept trying to convince my younger sister to eat Indian food, but it wasn't until she visited London that she finally got on with it. She hated British food even more, so to choose the lesser of the two evils she finally knuckled, bought some Indian food, and fell IN LOVE WITH IT. Now she and I go out regularly for Indian. Mmmm. Is so delicious.

I have gone out a few times with a very nice guy whose family is Bangladeshi. He says that most of the Indian food here in the States is Pakistani or Bangladeshi, especially the meat-heavy dishes.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #155 on: August 30, 2007, 07:43:53 am »

I adore Indian food and seeing photos of chavs online. I've never seen a British chav IRL...although with the white trash and gangstas we have in Aurora, there are plenty of American chavs.

I kept trying to convince my younger sister to eat Indian food, but it wasn't until she visited London that she finally got on with it. She hated British food even more, so to choose the lesser of the two evils she finally knuckled, bought some Indian food, and fell IN LOVE WITH IT. Now she and I go out regularly for Indian. Mmmm. Is so delicious.

I have gone out a few times with a very nice guy whose family is Bangladeshi. He says that most of the Indian food here in the States is Pakistani or Bangladeshi, especially the meat-heavy dishes.

Here in Hawaii, there are one or two real-actual-Indian-people Indian places, and several places that call themselves Indian but those in the know can tell it's FIJIAN.

Funny.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #156 on: August 30, 2007, 01:10:22 pm »

Apparently the hot new thing coming to our area is Indian-Chinese restaurants. Which is basically the Chinese take-out that one can get in India, now available here for uncultured white-boys such as myself.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #157 on: August 30, 2007, 01:47:39 pm »

I'm holding out for Slovak-Tex-Mex.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #158 on: August 30, 2007, 01:55:01 pm »

Somebody has to invent a better notation for that - it could get very confusing.

According to the Indian woman who sits next to me the restaurants will often call themselves "fusion" but most actual people call them "Indo-Chinese."
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #159 on: August 30, 2007, 05:34:34 pm »

Apparently Turkish food is, to Germans, as Mexican is to Americans.  My friend lived in Germany for five years and married a German citizen, who is constantly amazed at American food.  They don't have Mexican restaurants there but I guess the Chinese is pretty much the same as it is here? 

We took him to Golden Corral one time.  He couldn't stop talking about how much food you could get for so little money.  He'd never been to a buffet before. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Squatters
« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2007, 04:06:29 pm »

Somebody has to invent a better notation for that - it could get very confusing.

Chindian?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #161 on: September 01, 2007, 05:24:05 am »

We used to live near a German-Mexican restaurant in Parma. It was OK. I always thought they should have had a framed up copy of the Zimmerman telegram but no.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Squatters
« Reply #162 on: September 01, 2007, 05:47:11 am »

Quote
they should have had a framed up copy of the Zimmerman telegram but no.

now I am going to use the acronym "QFT."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #163 on: September 01, 2007, 09:47:03 am »

now I am going to use the acronym "QFT."
Don't tell us, show us!
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up