Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Squatters  (Read 23150 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2007, 06:07:24 am »

For the record, I didn't advocate actually carrying out this prescription, but it seems like the best solution to their problems.  When people become this degraded there are usually only two things that can change thier situation.  They either die or they find Jesus and become hardcore Christians.  Haven't these poor folks sunk low enough already?  Think of me as a sort of Dr. Kevorkian for these squatters.  It's too late for them to die with dignity, but shouldn't they be put out of their misery?  It's the most humane thing to do.



I don't live there, and I am not forced to smell and see and hear what goes on...scant inches beyond my door. What smells has to go through is heinous. I don't know what I would do, but things cannot continue as they are. Tiny can.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2007, 09:46:00 am »

Hey, we've all become republicans!
Yeah man, what the hell? Did a bunch of you all just turn 35 or something?

We need to get A-Dawg back, bring balance back to the force.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2007, 02:29:24 pm »

Also...this is not even in the same universe of shittiness as to what's happening to you... but that was so precious I had to share it with y'all. my neighbors tied a DEER HEAD to the roof of their TRAILER so that the bald eagles and ravens will come pick it clean for them.

I bet you'll have to work pretty hard to find that level of local color in Denver. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2007, 04:11:15 pm »

Here's my lovely album.  Some of these shots almost look like art.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2007, 06:42:49 pm »

Here's my lovely album.  Some of these shots almost look like art.

Jesus Christ, mel! That is awful. Those look like some of the houses I've been forced to enter to get a patient. We go in with our regular PPE (personal protective equipment) and it never feels like enough. It makes me want a SCBA or respirator and to have kevlar gloves and then triple glove my hands. Jesus. The filth that some people will tolerate is unbelievable. I don't have to live near it, so I can't imagine what it's like for you. UGH.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2007, 07:46:55 pm »

Well the "good" news is that the response to my police call last night lead to police kicking the door in on the garage, one of the squatters attacking an officer, as well as the "discovery" that the garage was filled with hazardous chemicals.  Two or possibly three of the squatters were taken away by police. 

As for the garage, I peeked in twice, once when we went to close it up after it was broken into but totally empty in the fall, and again when the man door had been broken into a month ago when I saw it had been fill with chemicals including varnish and other fluids I didn't recognize.  I made a report about this last month, which was ignored by police. 

The shed and garage have now been emptied and about 15 minutes ago an inspector from the fire department was checking out the property.  So maybe some progress is being made.  As it stands right now, the mattress and piles of rotten wood are still there and the garage and shed are both totally unsecured, but the inspector was digging in his trunk, looking for tools before he left, so hopefully he'll be back with what he needs soon.  I'm really skeptical that things will get better, but even faint hope is better than nothing.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2007, 07:35:35 pm »

Well, I don't know which of my moves caused it - the friendly conversation with an officer a week ago, the call to the police where I broke down weeping about nothing being done, the call to the arson prevention department or the three sternly worded letters to my local city councilor, but something put the fear of god into the owner of the property next door, and she and her boyfriend spent the whole day yesterday cleaning up, and the whole day today building a fence that will close off the yard!  Hooray!  I greatly overestimated her age the last time I spoke to her two years ago.  She looks like she's only about 18-20, and her boyfriend about the same age.  They haven't spoken to me once even though we've crossed paths a few times and I given the smile-and-wave.  In fact the boyfriend's given me the evil eye enough times that I am thinking they must have been fined or otherwise threatened.  Hey kids, I don't care if you hate me, just, you know, tend to your responsibilities!  Rock!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Squatters
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2007, 08:07:30 pm »

This is wonderful news! Oh frabjous day!

Ash, it's probably a typo, but I love the adjective 'shirty'.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Squatters
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2007, 09:09:18 pm »

I used that on purpose 'cause I didn't feel good cussing at Smells today.

You aren't just being shirty, are you?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2007, 09:22:14 pm »

I thought maybe you were using that term because the squattors had used shirts to whip their asses with, as noted in my flickr display.  Anyway, woo hoo!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2007, 10:12:43 pm »

I thought maybe you were using that term because the squattors had used shirts to whip their asses with, as noted in my flickr display.  Anyway, woo hoo!

Oh jesus.

Anyway... mel, I am so happy to hear that shit is being cleaned up. Thank God.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2007, 06:35:43 am »

Oh for fuck sake.

So, this weekend I packed the SO off on a giraffeing trip with his dad so I could have some nice quiet time to write.  It is the first time I've been home alone since the whole squatters ordeal.  As I am writing, I hear a man and woman screaming at each other.  Her yelling at him to take his fuck*ng things or they'll be in the fuck*ng garbage, him calling her a fuck*ng bitch, etc.  I peaked out my window and saw that she was in the house across the street screaming out the window at him on the side walk.  It was your basic lover's quarrel, made a little depressing because what I can only assume was the lady's little boy sat on the front stoop with a puppy, and two other neighborhood kids were just standing there frozen as the couple screamed at each other.  The guy is tweaked out angry - he seems like he's either in a drug rage, or just angry to the absolute extreme.  I watch to make sure he's not going to hit her, and shortly, the guy left, things got quiet again, and I went back to my writing.  This was at about 8:30 PM.

So I continue working on my writing, and at about 10pm I decide to call it a night.  I change in to my PJ's and go feed the cats.  Just as I feed the cats, there's a pounding at my front door.  A really loud pounding.  It scares the hell out of me.  I instantly think of my friendly neighborhood meth heads and also the extremely angry guy across the street.  I'm home alone, I'm in my fairly revealing PJ's, so I'm not going to go to the door.  In fact, I don't want to move because with it being dark outside and the kitchen light being on, a person outside will see my general form and know I'm a lady in my house alone.  The pounding gets louder, then moves to the window.  Then it moves back to the door (which is a steal door) and it becomes evident that the person out there is trying to force their way in as they slam against it with their body while jiggling the door knob.  I'm terrified.  Thinking I'll get a good look at them then dial 911, I turn off the house lights and switch on the porch lights, look out the window. It's the police.  They see me, and stop trying to force the door in.

I open the door "Oh, thank god, I thought someone was breaking in..." - but then I see their hands are on their weapons.  "Who else is in here with you?"  "No one."  "There's no one else in here with you?"  "No."  They enter.  I'm shaken up because I thought a meth head might be trying to kill me and embarrassed that I'm half naked.  "You sure there's no one else in here with you?"  "Yes."  "Why didn't you answer the door?"  "I was scared.  I'm home alone and I though someone was trying to break in."  "Who is this in the picture?"  "That's my husband.  My partner."  "And where is he?"  "He's out in the country, he's gone giraffeing for the weekend."  "Is there anyone upstairs?"  "No."  "Why didn't you answer the door, we were knocking pretty loud?"  "Yes.  I was scared.  I'm alone, and I don't answer the door if I'm alone.  I don't even go to the door - we've had a problem with squatters in the abandoned house next door... and there was a domestic fight across the street earlier"  "And your husband.  You're sure he's not upstairs?"  Yes - he's not here."  (one officer to the other)  "You better check the address"  He radios in, I hear the operator confirm the address over his radio, and  give a phone number that is not my number.  "That's not your number?"  "No."  "And your husband - does he have a cellphone?"  "No.  He doesn't have a cellphone." "Mind if we look around?"  "Sure...  If you could take off your shoes first" "Oh, don't worry, they're clean (showing me their squeaky clean shoes), and we can't take them off." "Oh.  okay.  If you could just while your shoes off on the mat... (they do)." "And you're sure we're not going to find anyone else in here."  "No.  Definitely.  I'm alone."  At some point I start shaking, as one officer passes me and heads upstairs.  "You seem pretty shaken up."  "Well yeah - I thought someone was breaking in..."  I follow the officers up stairs as they fling open every closet, the shower curtain.  I follow them downstairs as they do the same.  "This is a pretty nice house."  "Thanks."  "Do you own this house?"  "Yes.  My partner and I do."  "So has anything been going on here tonight?"  "No... I've been working.   I've been by myself.  Jesus - you scared the hell out of me."  It's actually sort of funny to watch the officer, all alert stance, flinging things open, with one had ready to draw his weapon.  But only funny in the surreal way that seeing this happen in my home is. "Why didn't you answer the door?"  "Well I was scared, and I'm in my pajamas, and we've had meth heads pound on the door before, looking for food or looking for money.  I'm confused.  What's going on?"  "We got a call that someone was being beaten up here."  "Oh, well there was a domestic fight across the street tonight.  Maybe it was them?"  "So nothing's going on here tonight?"  "No.  So is there an incident number I need to take down?"  "Oh.  No.  We just got a call and we're looking into it."  "How do you like the neighborhood.  You say you've had squatters next door?"  "Yes, but my neighbors on the other side..."  Opening the front door "And which house was the dispute at?"  "That one."  "The white one?"  "Yeah - the yellow one."  "Okay.  Sorry to distrub you."  "That's alright.  You scared the hell out of me!  Not... not the looking around - just the pounding."  And then they were gone.

Did I mention I love my neighborhood?  Gah!

I realized, shortly after as I was weeping over the phone to my SO out in the country, I was supposed to go out to see a play (but I opted to stay in to write), and I could have just as easily been gone.  I can't help but think they'd have kicked my door in, let my indoor cats out.

Also, about my last post: I was wrong - they weren't building a fence next door.  They were building a deck!?  WTF?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 12:41:50 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2007, 07:04:39 am »

Huh.  About 10 minutes ago, I heard someone trying to get into my car.  I switched off the light and looked out the window - they saw this and hurried away.  Did I mention I love this neighbourhood?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2007, 04:05:33 pm »

Good Lord Mel, that sucks.  I see cops with a stick up their ass isn't just an American thing.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Squatters
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2007, 07:15:04 pm »

I was reading the other day about how there are a lot of people who have shot and killed policemen who were attempting to break down their door without identifying themselves. Of course, this makes these people "copkillers."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up