Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Squatters  (Read 23242 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2007, 10:07:50 pm »

I had my inlaws over last year, and naturally enough, gave them the bed to sleep in while Stacey and I bivouacked (sp?) on the living room floor.  Our living room looks out over the front yard (corner lot) so we've got a couple windows you can look through if you're so inclined.  Apparently, that night some cops were chasing bad guys on foot through our neighborhood (which isn't usually a hotbed of cops n' robbers activity).  The cops shone a flashlight in through a window and saw my wife and I sprawled on the floor.  This appeared to alarm them as they began hammering on the door about six feet from my sleeping head.  Fortunately, they did identify themselves as cops while they were at it, since the transition from peaceful slumber to family defending fight-or-flight had me up on my feet and charging towards the door aggressively before I even knew what I was about.  Stacey was howling, the dog was barking - pandemonium.

It took them a while to decide that everything was in fact cool, and they eventually left after complimenting me on the front door.  Their initial reaction had been to bash it in and rescue us from the bad guys, but it held.  I was happy to take their compliments, because we had, in fact, put it in ourselves to replace the flimsy wreck that the house had come with.  The point to all this was that they did identify themselves as the police when they were trying to break in.  It might not have gone as well had they not done so and succeeded in breaking the door.  I would no doubt have attacked one, possibly hurt him, and gotten a beatdown (at least) in return. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2007, 11:48:38 pm »

Also, about my last post: I was wrong - they weren't building a fence next door.  They were building a deck!?  WTF?

Not to distract from the awfulness of your idiot police story but... this is certainly an intriguing thickening of the plot.  Are they sprucing the place up to sell it, perhaps?  Because it certainly sounded like all it needed to be the perfect dream home was a deck, right?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Squatters
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2007, 05:09:16 am »

Quote
I had my inlaws over last year, and naturally enough, gave them the bed to sleep in while Stacey and I bivouacked (sp?) on the living room floor.

...is this normal? I feel like sleeping on the floor in your own house breaks some sort of rule. I mean, I guess if the other option was in-laws sleeping on the floor... I don't know. I don't like it, not one bit.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2007, 01:04:06 pm »

Update:  Upon examination, my steel front door is minorly dented and scratched, but sustained no functional damage. 

Wombat:  Yes, the new deck is intriguing.  Actually, it was required because the back door of the house opens to a 4ft drop.  The old rotten stairway that led to it was the pile of rotten wood in my photos.  I am hoping they are putting it up for sale, but I can't imagine the sucker who'd buy it.  It's far beyond a fixer-upper at this point.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2007, 07:47:07 pm »

...is this normal? I feel like sleeping on the floor in your own house breaks some sort of rule. I mean, I guess if the other option was in-laws sleeping on the floor... I don't know. I don't like it, not one bit.

I usually stay at my dad's house when I'm in town. They have a bunch of my furniture (sofa, bed, dresser, end tables, coffee table, 8x10 rug, lamps, desk, office chair, the list goes on and on...), so it's kind of nice to sleep in my own bed, which is in their guest bedroom, when I visit.

However, for the wedding, one of my aunts stayed with us. I had to remake the bed, move all my suitcases and crap into my stepmom's* craft room, and sleep on the sofa so that she could have my bed. Totally teh suck. Then again, I'm 28 and as a youngin I have to relinquish comfortable sleeping arrangements to my elders.

It would have been a TOTAL HUNT'S MOVE for me to keep the bed.

theinev, you can always shell out for a hotel room for the inlaws, or make sure that your house has a guest bedroom. Your choice, unless you want to sleep on the floor so they can have your bed.



*Whoa! It is so weird to say that.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2007, 09:07:35 pm »

Then again, I'm 28 and as a youngin I have to relinquish comfortable sleeping arrangements to my elders.

This is pretty much our thinking as well.  Part of the old "honor thy mother and father" thing.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Squatters
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2007, 03:13:48 am »

part of it is my really deep desire to have My Own Place, With My Own Rules. At this point, I have never had that. I, for some reason, have fantasies where someone says something offensive, or is mean to one of my friends... and I say "GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!"

So maybe it's just me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Squatters
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2007, 12:39:41 am »

Yeah, I just bought a bed after living like a fratboy for eight months here.

My best friend is coming for a visit in three weeks. 

Now the question is: do I give him the bed or stick him with the (surprisingly comfortable) futon?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Squatters
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2007, 12:47:48 am »

Yeah, I just bought a bed after living like a fratboy for eight months here.

My best friend is coming for a visit in three weeks. 

Now the question is: do I give him the bed or stick him with the (surprisingly comfortable) futon?

I'm surprised you aren't making him sleep on the sidewalk.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Squatters
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2007, 12:49:02 am »

I'm just not getting people's digs at me today.

Sleep on the sidewalk?  Whaaaaaaat?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2007, 02:23:07 am »

What, don't you have a comfortable shed for him to huff in?  Isn't that the trend these days?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2007, 03:05:19 am »

Yeah, I just bought a bed after living like a fratboy for eight months here.

My best friend is coming for a visit in three weeks. 

Now the question is: do I give him the bed or stick him with the (surprisingly comfortable) futon?

I'm gonna be in Chicago THIS weekend.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2007, 04:10:21 am »

Yeah, I just bought a bed after living like a fratboy for eight months here.

My best friend is coming for a visit in three weeks. 

Now the question is: do I give him the bed or stick him with the (surprisingly comfortable) futon?

I vote for giving him the futon.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Squatters
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2007, 05:13:38 am »

I'm just not getting people's digs at me today.

Sleep on the sidewalk?  Whaaaaaaat?


Sort of a mix of giving what you get and the Queen song, I guess.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Squatters
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2007, 11:36:46 am »

Oh, I get why the digs, just not the digs themselves.

Like, if I said that you ate breakfast like that thing you do with rhinos.

Anyway, I have no shed, although there is a roof deck, and we discussed maybe sleeping up there one night.

Also, AugustWest, you are not allowed to visit Chicago without getting together for a drink and/or dinner with me.  It's a new rule.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up