Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Squatters  (Read 23264 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Squatters
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2007, 03:23:16 pm »

No matter how attractive she is or smart or funny she is, a heavy Austrailian accent... man, they shouldn't even give boys at summer camps salt-peter, they should just... play recordings of women with heavy Austrailian accents and they won't be able to maintain their erectionss.

Diff'rent strokes, I suppose... Australian accents are the best as far as I'm concerned. Followed closely by British, Southern, and Russian accents.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Squatters
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2007, 03:24:19 pm »

oh, now, see, there is a certain southern accent that is horrible. But then there is the really subtle one that some ladies I know have... that one knocks me right out.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2007, 03:36:45 pm »

Re: Australian accents this is my argument. The lady in the bikini, not the one with the camels. How can you not dig that accent? I'm almost certain my liking of this accent has nothing to do with her bikini.

There are variations that are bad though, mainly from down south, just like I've heard sexy and horrifying versions of a female southern USA accent.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Squatters
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2007, 05:17:35 pm »

Okay, I'll admit it:

A heavy Southern accent sounds like some sort of brain damage to me and on some deep genetic level I cannot get over the idea that I cannot risk the accident of allowing my genes to mix with someone unable to speak a language.

I am sorry. I apologize. I do not intend this.

My father once told me: "There are only two stereotypes that are true, Mike. Most Irish are drunks, most Southerners are ignorant. Everything else is a damned lie but I have seen no evidence against those two stereotypes."

Of course he also told me: "Mike, you can be anything you want in the world. Except for president. Because if you're a Catholic president, they'll blow your brains out in Texas."

My dad's a weird guy. Awesome but weird.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2007, 05:36:35 pm »

No one has ever asked me why I dropped what southern accent I had.

It's kind of unfortunate, but there you go.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2007, 07:00:28 am »

People ask me all the time why I "got rid" of my Aussie accent.  They didn't have to be a 12-year old boy in pre-Paul Hogan America, is my reply.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Squatters
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2007, 02:37:51 pm »

No one has ever asked me why I dropped what southern accent I had.

It's kind of unfortunate, but there you go.

So . . .
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2007, 04:59:43 pm »

My father once told me: "There are only two stereotypes that are true, Mike. Most Irish are drunks, most Southerners are ignorant. Everything else is a damned lie but I have seen no evidence against those two stereotypes."
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 05:04:24 am by pmcd9 »
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Squatters
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2007, 05:39:41 pm »

« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 05:04:49 am by pmcd9 »
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Squatters
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2007, 06:10:59 pm »

Nope.

"Everyone else is just people. Don't trust the heavily religious, either, but that's... like... that's not an ethnic thing."
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Squatters
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2007, 10:03:48 pm »

Actually, Paul, I think you might have that back to front. I can't remember the whole punchline, but it ends up "too lazy to steal".
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2007, 10:52:07 pm »

People ask me all the time why I "got rid" of my Aussie accent.  They didn't have to be a 12-year old boy in pre-Paul Hogan America, is my reply.

Does it come back when you're really stressed out? I studied Spanish for 3 years in high school. I had a very good accent through extensive practice (my teacher asked me if my folks spoke Spanish at home, and I replied that no, we're Sicilian). However, whenever I got really tired or really angry or whatever, it would get shot to shit and I would just be speaking pissed-off-gringa.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2007, 11:58:46 pm »

That's one of the things we talked about in that class I taught. If people's accents have changed, they often revert at least partially to their childhood accent in emotional situations. 

Let's go to jaydub's house and tease him till he gets really mad and see what happens...
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Squatters
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2007, 02:36:24 am »

I really, really, really want to hear my dad with his Boston accent. He got rid of it in his mid-20s. It made my mom very happy.

weird thing: people constantly ask my mom if she is from Boston, Wisconsin, or Chile. These are all places she has lived. Apparently she has some tiny amount of accent from all of them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2007, 03:16:43 am »

I've gone through my life with an accent that people (in australia anyway) either identify as canadian or irish but never australian. My dad is third generation australian from england and my mum grew up in new zealand so there's no logical explanation but I just can't seem to shake it.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up