Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Squatters  (Read 23183 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Squatters
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2007, 02:39:23 am »

I once tried to cook a chorizo sausage in a skillit and it became liquified.

I suspect boudin might do that - hey look, a pan full of hot blood!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2007, 04:11:58 am »

I suspect boudin might do that - hey look, a pan full of hot blood!

I wonder what happens to clotted blood if you heat it. I expect that even clotted blood will break down at some point.

...That's so fuck*ng disgusting. It's almost enough to put one off one's Scotch and soda. I had better ring up the pool boy for another.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #122 on: July 08, 2007, 09:47:29 am »

And Doc, congratulations, that is one of the most disgusting messageboard posts ever.

It's made by south australians, they don't know any better.

I suspect boudin might do that - hey look, a pan full of hot blood!

Now I'm hungry.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Squatters
« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2007, 11:25:56 am »

apropos of nothing: I am so sorry for those of you who wake up this early regularly.

At the same time: I always forget how nice it is to be up early, drinking some tea, while everyone is asleep in my house.

at the same time: hate that dog that was barking until 3 or 4. hate him to hell.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Squatters
« Reply #124 on: July 08, 2007, 02:41:17 pm »

And Doc, congratulations, that is one of the most disgusting messageboard posts ever.

It's made by south australians, they don't know any better.


According to the article, Joe Cocker loves them, and that's good enough for me.

Seriously, now Joe Cocker is a recognized food authority?

Edit: There's also this.

Quote from: Wikipedia
In 2003, the pie floater was recognised as a South Australian Heritage Icon by the National Trust of Australia.

Sorry, what now?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 02:53:11 pm by Nabubrush drinks (a lot) »
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #125 on: July 08, 2007, 03:34:09 pm »

Apparently a local delicasy in victoria is a 'meat pie floater'. This is a meat pie in a bowl of pea soup. I've never seen this and I am kind of afraid to believe it exists.

You mean Terry Pratchet didn't make this up? That's frightening.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2007, 03:36:36 pm »

I would eat that.  A meat pie in pea soup?  Yes.  I would eat that.  But I grew up on fried bologna, organ meat and cow tongue, so... you know, my standards are low.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Squatters
« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2007, 04:05:40 pm »

But I grew up on . . . cow tongue, so... you know, my standards are low.

Did we not talk about not eating other animals' eating parts?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2007, 04:07:54 pm »

fried bologna,

Mmmm.  Fried bologna...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2007, 07:01:47 pm »

Ms. Nabu and I went to a "Scottish" pub with her brither and his wife once. One of us ordered Scotch eggs and we all tried them and more-or-less enjoyed them. Much later I described the event to a co-worker from Scotland. With obvious incredulity, she said "you aren't supposed to eat those".

I read on the internets about the humble Scotch egg. Apparently it has a bad rep because it has fallen into low times with companies making them with the cheapest, most disgusting meat possible and then they are sold frozen everywhere. I'm sure that there are places that make decent Scotch eggs.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2007, 07:26:30 pm »

There's a recipe for Scotch eggs in the Achewood cookbook.  They were perfectly edible but not something I'd go through the trouble of making again.  I've got a picture somewhere here.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2007, 07:38:44 pm »

As my country's hosting the Fifa World Cup, we turned on the news today, which was visiting a restaurant that had created a Fifa menu of street n' pub grub from around the world.  The two recipes they covered? Scotch Egg and Chip Butty (served with a side of mayo for dipping).  Odd how these things happen.  I believe they call it psychic resonance?.. or no... what's the term for where you think of something, then you notice it everywhere, regardless of it was always around or just started popping up?  I can't remember what that phenomenon's called... but it happened to me and the cast members of a play I was directing about fedoras...  Anyway, the newscaster lady took the tiniest nibble of the Scotch Egg she had just made, made a really inauthentic "Mmm" sound then and called the Butty "the ultimate comfort food."
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 08:04:52 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Squatters
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2007, 08:02:40 pm »

Chip Butty (served with a side of mayo for dipping)

This phrase gave me some interesting insight into how my mind works.

My reaction to the concept of a chip butty: "hey, french-fry sandwich? That sounds like it could be good."
My reaction to a chip butty being slathered in butter: "I bet it adds some nice richness. Throw on a little salt..."
My reaction to a chip butty being dipped in mayo: "What? Seriously... what? No, I'm sorry, that's not right."

Either I have a certain level of greasiness I can't go beyond, or I just have an unusual dislike of mayo.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Squatters
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2007, 08:07:40 pm »

I *love* a girl with an Aussie accent.  Listen to Naomi Watts talk.  She's 10x hotter than she looks just because of the accent.  I also love how the word "no" in Australian is a three-syllable word (nyee-ah-oh).

I've only met one person in Chicago so far that sounds like they should be a guest on Bill Swerski's show (Da Bearce, etc) but then again, I live on the north side.

And yes, I say I'm in love with Chicago *now*, but I'm sure the romance will fade at some point.  Or will it?

I know a lot of people here who are from elsewhere.  Hardly any Chicagoans are *from* Chicago.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Squatters
« Reply #134 on: July 08, 2007, 08:14:53 pm »

The chef said the chip butty bread was "slathered in fat."  He didn't say what kind of fat though.  Disturbing.  I am a lover of mayo, and my fries usually get dipped in it.  For me it's the bread and fat that make it unappetizing.

I have eaten poutine dipped in mayo, since this is my MO for regular fries... but each time I try this, I realize I don't actually like it.  It's too much.  It's too much.

Also, we were watching a shitty animated Canadian cartoon today, and the characters all hang out at a restaurant run by a French Canadian that only serves three sizes of poutine.  The animated poutine looked delicious.  Also one of the two main characters works at a beer store.  This is a kids cartoon.  Being Canadian is weird sometimes.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up