Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hunt's Move  (Read 4508 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Hunt's Move
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 11:21:13 pm »

A lead singer for a popular band decides to put out a solo album to explore new directions, and yet his songs sound exactly the same as the ones he does with his band. THAT IS A HUNT'S MOVE as far as I'm concerned.

Also: huntsmove.com is available.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Hunt's Move
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 11:29:41 pm »

I've got a new one this week:

It is a Hunt's Move to accept someone's job offer, and then start negotiating for more money on the day you start work.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Hunt's Move
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2007, 12:37:46 am »

I have come very close to having to explain the concept of a Hunt's Move to my parents. I've recently started volunteering with a domestic-violence charity in town which needs volunteers pretty badly; they have about three employees and desperately need help with semi-skilled tasks (filing, PowerPoint, etc.), which I can certainly do. I am pretty excited about this, since it lets me keep busy and is a Good, Productive Use Of My Copious Free Time(tm). Anyway, this eventually led to a conversation at the dinner table with my mother:

MY MOM: Hey, they're still advertising that bank-teller position. You should submit your resume.
ME: Mom, uh... I'm kind of easing up on the job-hunting.
MY MOM: Why?
ME: Well, because I just started volunteering, and I want to make sure I can give it a good effort there, you know? It'd just be crass not to.
MY MOM: Oh. Well, okay.

In other words, I averted a conversation on the subject of "finishing your volunteer training and then volunteering for all of a week and a half would be a Hunt's Move," but I may not be able to defer this too long.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Hunt's Move
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2007, 12:40:15 am »

Do you really need to submit a resume for a bank teller position?

I mean, all love to bank tellers, but I didn't know the position required any kind of background.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Hunt's Move
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2007, 01:43:45 am »

I totally make Hunts' Moves all the time. I'm not ashamed. I don't need to be high-class to be happy.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Hunt's Move
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2007, 02:08:31 am »

Do you really need to submit a resume for a bank teller position?

I mean, all love to bank tellers, but I didn't know the position required any kind of background.

I think that most jobs require a resume, and certainly all office jobs do. If you can glance at a resume that is written in crayon, you can throw that one out pretty quickly. Or if someone puts furry shit in their "personal interest" area of the resume, you can safely throw that one away and then disinfect your hands. You should see some of the resumes that employers get. It's pretty insane.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Hunt's Move
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2007, 03:50:32 am »

Ah! That reminds me:

Submitting a headshot for an administrative position just because the administrative position is at a theatre:  total hunts move

People have done this for positions I've done the interviews for.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Hunt's Move
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2007, 03:59:01 am »

Ah! That reminds me:

Submitting a headshot for an administrative position just because the administrative position is at a theatre:  total hunts move

People have done this for positions I've done the interviews for.

What the fuck? Are they actors who are trying to break into the biz? That's a total  hunt's move.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Hunt's Move
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2007, 07:39:46 am »

I totally make Hunts' Moves all the time. I'm not ashamed. I don't need to be high-class to be happy.

See, when I think about "Hunt's Moves," I don't think about low-class in the sense of low socioeconomic class, I think of it in the sense of being crass or unpleasant when it's not necessary. There's a difference between being high-class and being classy.
Logged

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Hunt's Move
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2007, 10:20:37 am »

See, when I think about "Hunt's Moves," I don't think about low-class in the sense of low socioeconomic class, I think of it in the sense of being crass or unpleasant when it's not necessary. There's a difference between being high-class and being classy.

True! But it seems like the distinction as understood in the canon is just being a little cheap - ie, having the money to enjoy something high-class, and just preferring the lower-class thing. Enjoying Hanna Barbara over Disney or Hunt's over regular steak sauce isn't exactly crass or unpleasant in my worldview, it's just not caring about the superficial trappings of being classy. It's just not liking caviar.

Not that your definition is invalid, I'm just explaining my understanding, which has more to do with consumer choices and less to do with personal behavior.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hunt's Move
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2007, 09:46:00 pm »

Do you really need to submit a resume for a bank teller position?

I mean, all love to bank tellers, but I didn't know the position required any kind of background.

I applied for, and did not get, a bank teller position after I got my degree.

Stealing a motherfucker's iPod off his desk - HUNT'S MOVE, you cocksucker. The only redeeming thing is that it had started to hang periodically. Enjoy your non-working iPod, prick.

Screaming obscenities at your wife in the middle of a graduation ceremony surrounded by 2000+ people? Perhaps not a Hunt's Move, but certainly something I did not need to be exposed to.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hunt's Move
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 04:32:31 pm »

Rummys definitions of Hunts move is the correct one.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Hunt's Move
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 04:45:36 pm »

I totally make Hunts' Moves all the time. I'm not ashamed. I don't need to be high-class to be happy.

I'm not sure the definition the comic suggests will hold up to not being ashamed of it. If you're not ashamed, you don't hide the spork in your tie and wait until the waiter looks away before you pull it out.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Hunt's Move
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2007, 05:24:34 pm »

If you're not ashamed, you don't hide the spork in your tie...

Or glance around to make sure no one's looking when you take a "snap of the cap".
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hunt's Move
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2007, 10:56:22 pm »

So today was the day that the recycling center took hazardous materials for free - like paint, pesticides, household chemicals, used oil, that sort of stuff. We load up the back of the truck with 35 gallons of used thinner and toxic chemicals and drive over to the local elementary school (nice place to do it, btw). We get there and there's a line of about 50 cars waiting to pull in. We're slowly making our way up the line, and a truck comes up from the other direction and cuts right in front of all of us into the parking lot. Then, as we get another 20 cars up so it's almost our turn, two women in a BMW park, and one of them gets out holding a bag and a paint can, and she runs in to drop her stuff off. She comes back out, and as I'm shaking my head at her, she shouts "just park and you can run in and they'll take your stuff right away."

No shit, fuck waiting in line. I'm a white American - waiting in line is for chumps and suckers.

Again, not sure if it's a Hunt's move, but it's fucked up all the same.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up