Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Exciting New Book Thread  (Read 16466 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2007, 01:59:10 am »

IT IS LITERALLY CALLED "THE CONFUSION."

also, Somebody nice (!?) it always makes me jump a little bit when you use my real name. I am not sure why. Part of it is similar to when you hear a stranger call your name in public, and you know that it's not you, but you still look.
Except, it is me. Hm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2007, 02:23:55 am »

IT IS LITERALLY CALLED "THE CONFUSION."

also, Somebody nice (!?) it always makes me jump a little bit when you use my real name. I am not sure why. Part of it is similar to when you hear a stranger call your name in public, and you know that it's not you, but you still look.
Except, it is me. Hm.

Sorry, the inev. I don't want to creep you out, dude.

Yeah, from what I remember the second volume is called "The Confusion".
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2007, 03:06:19 am »

Quicksilver is first.  Confusion is second.  The System of the World is third.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2007, 06:15:19 am »

no! no! it is OK. I was just trying to explain that it is... confusing. (I aim this to linnea regarding my name-- I just realized that this is confusing (ha!) in the middle of a discussion about a book called The Confusion.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 01:15:42 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2007, 10:46:28 pm »

I liked Confusion the best. Possibly just because at that point I was far enough in to be interested in the characters but no far enough to feel like I'd been reading the same book for 18 months. Or maybe just because it had lots of Eliza and she was my favorite character.
Logged

mavies

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 51
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2007, 09:05:50 am »

I totally wish I could spray paint furious ding-dongs on the person who, the night the book was released, walked by us and spoiled a plot point to me, the ladyfriend, and the son.  My life wasn't ruined or anything by it, but it's just a case of someone getting their jollies by attempting to cause harm and disappointment in others.  I'm seriously sick of that brand of humor.  I wanted to Lovitz up to the guy.

Hell I would've exploded if some wanker had done that to me. Full-on fanboy rage. I managed to get through them all without it being spoiled though, luckily. Mainly because I'd shut off all communication with the outside world until I'd finished reading the new one. The Deathly Hallows was an alright read, s'pose.. that epilogue fuck*ng sucked though.

I'm just finishing the Hound of the Baskervilles now, Sherlock Holmes is one ultra rad mo-fo. I've got Pyrates, by George MacDonald Frasier lined up next.. any other Flashman fans out there?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2007, 10:01:43 am »

I like screaming the spoilers to OTHER things at lines like that.

"VADER was his father!" and so on. The squares look at me but the hepcats chuckle and nod.

My brother has never read any of those books but my girlfriend has and his girlfriend is and so he enjoys making up long rambling alternate stories based on a highly fragmentary understanding of the stories.

"The Firebird Princess was frozen by the evil Hogwart and the Firebird King demanded that Harry save her and so, by the order of the Phoenix, he challenges Hogwart to a broomrace."

Frankly, having had to listen to one of the books crossing the country, in trade for my girlfriend doing most of the driving, I think I prefer my brother's drunken word-jazz.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2007, 04:21:30 am »

It is not new by any means, but I've finally got around to reading Watchmen. Why I never read it until now, I don't know, but I do know that my life thus far has suffered because of it. This book is incredible.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2007, 05:15:30 am »

It really is.
I read V for Vendetta in one sitting during my second year of uni when I should have been studying for something or other.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2007, 06:03:26 am »

Watchmen is pretty goddamned important stuff.

It explains 9-11, in a certain metaphorical way of thinking.

If you grow up on, like, paranoid comic books and Philip K Dick novels such as I did, the world makes pretty much total sense except that said total sense is completely terrible.

I was born to play the Night Owl in the movie adaptation, by the way, but I did not get famous fast enough. It is a sad thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

mavies

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 51
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2007, 11:51:19 am »

I nicked Watchmen (with permission..) from a shop a few weeks ago. Aint read it yet, got distracted by Joe Haldeman's Peace & War trilogy. Which, for the record, rocks.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2007, 01:24:28 pm »

I've pretty much decided to stop getting books from the library. In the past year and a half or so, I've checked out maybe 15 books. I've finished none of them, and about 10 of them I forgot to turn back in until they'd been overdue for a few days. I was an English major in college... I'm not sure what's happened to me.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2007, 02:37:14 pm »

I've pretty much decided to stop getting books from the library. In the past year and a half or so, I've checked out maybe 15 books. I've finished none of them, and about 10 of them I forgot to turn back in until they'd been overdue for a few days. I was an English major in college... I'm not sure what's happened to me.

I check hella books out from the library and bring them to work with me. This time I read Ramsey Campbell's The Face That Must Die and Scott Smith's The Ruins, and I'm about halfway through Joan Lindsay's Picnic at Hanging Rock.

Also, man, Phil Dick. Poor broken bastard.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2007, 02:59:43 pm »

My new apartment is literally across the street from the central library. The SO is like an addict. She has like 10 books checked out, one waiting for her, and at least 5 more on hold. I'm just kind of killing time reading short books like Ye Gods while I wait for the next Malazan Book of the Fallen book to come out this month.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2007, 08:38:40 am »

A giant library is one of the great parts of working at a uni.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up