Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exciting New Book Thread  (Read 16431 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2007, 11:11:32 pm »

Awesome. I just ordered a handful of new books from Amazon based on your guys' suggestions, and now I'm not going to get them.

It's my own fault, really: I gave them my street address. I don't get mail at my street address. I do get mail at my PO Box, though.

I thought Amazon shipped standard orders through UPS, but they use USPS. Goddamn, I'm an idiot.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2007, 12:05:53 am »

Awesome. I just ordered a handful of new books from Amazon based on your guys' suggestions, and now I'm not going to get them.

It's my own fault, really: I gave them my street address. I don't get mail at my street address. I do get mail at my PO Box, though.

I thought Amazon shipped standard orders through UPS, but they use USPS. Goddamn, I'm an idiot.

??? I've never received anything from Amazon that wasn't UPS. Well, I got one package that was FedEx, but still.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2007, 12:10:49 am »

How can you not get mail at your street address?  That sounds downright un-American or something.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2007, 12:26:32 am »

I live on a funny street that the mailmen miss so often that it's not even worth it to keep a mailbox outside. It's strange, I don't live in the boonies or anything, but this goddamn street is like the Atlantis for mailmen. And yet... UPS and FedEx don't have any problem. Don't ask me how that works.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2007, 12:32:14 am »

You live in San Francisco right?  Where abouts (you don't have to tell me the street or anything)?

I only ask because I think I am moving there soon.  My friend lived right across from Jack Kerouac Alley in Downtown, right between China Town and Little Italy.  I think I would like to live as close as possible to Golden Gate Park on Haight or the Mission district somewhere.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2007, 01:00:18 am »

At the moment, I live south of San Francisco on the coast. I am looking at places in the city, though, so I should be living there soon. I'm looking in the same area -- something close to GG park. Probably not quite Mission, though. That neighborhood scares me a little.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2007, 06:03:07 am »

Awesome. I just ordered a handful of new books from Amazon based on your guys' suggestions, and now I'm not going to get them.

It's my own fault, really: I gave them my street address. I don't get mail at my street address. I do get mail at my PO Box, though.

I thought Amazon shipped standard orders through UPS, but they use USPS. Goddamn, I'm an idiot.

I'm sorry to say I still work for the USPS at the moment. You can get mail at your street address and your PO Box - I do all the time.

Also Amazon dropships at US Post Offices, and the drop shipper is UPS a lot of the time. UPS gets them to them to the PO and the PO delivers them to your house or PO Box. We get drop shipments from FedEx, UPS and DHL, with postage for us to complete the delivery. I think it's cheaper for them that way.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2007, 01:02:10 pm »

UPS gets them to them to the PO and the PO delivers them to your house or PO Box. We get drop shipments from FedEx, UPS and DHL, with postage for us to complete the delivery. I think it's cheaper for them that way.

Well now this is a piece of information that for some reason boggles my mind.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2007, 01:16:03 pm »

Well now this is a piece of information that for some reason boggles my mind.

It goes the other way too. USPS sends a lot of international mail by FedEx and UPS. Because it's cheaper to pay another company to fly the mail overseas that it is for USPS to buy its own planes and fly/staff/maintain them.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2007, 01:05:04 am »

I'm sorry to say I still work for the USPS at the moment. You can get mail at your street address and your PO Box - I do all the time.

Also Amazon dropships at US Post Offices, and the drop shipper is UPS a lot of the time. UPS gets them to them to the PO and the PO delivers them to your house or PO Box. We get drop shipments from FedEx, UPS and DHL, with postage for us to complete the delivery. I think it's cheaper for them that way.

Well, shit. That would explain why Amazon told me it was shipping my wife's Harry Potter pre-order by UPS but it showed up in the mailbox.

Although I have to say, the thought of that is kinda like the Black Panthers hiring the Klan to bounce at their rave.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up