Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood You are on the Night Train. Five Hours have passed. Axl Rose is in the gym car. It's not what you expected.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Exciting New Book Thread  (Read 16472 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2007, 01:57:38 am »

I'm trying to decide if this trait would make you enjoy a movie like The Hudsucker Proxy more or less. And how do you feel about mysteries, where there are always callbacks to minor crap?

I read nothing but mysteries, basically. But it's one thing to have to remember something that happened in the SAME book and another one to remember something five 800-page books ago.

As for Harry Potter, yeah, I know that it's not comparable to most other 800 page books in the world.  And I am a good skimmer. But if it's pointless for the non-fanatic, why bother?  And I think she would have every right at this stage to write a book that's pointless for the non-fanatic, really.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2007, 06:58:48 am »

i think that she was pretty good about explaining what was going on. lots of "oh, remember when Mrs Mudsproggle gave you the magic stone? use that!"

but seriously, I love these books. I am weirdly upset that there will never be another one. I mean... I remember going to buy the 4th one at midnight, back when it first came out... I must have been... 13? I was very excited.

People openly called me "Harry." I was a skinny kid with big classes and messy dark hair, so.

I guess that means a scary biker guy at the mall gets to say "Hey, look, it's harry!" and slap his friend on the back, if you look like that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2007, 07:08:49 am »

I've been down on Mr. Potter for a while. I've read them all (save the last one) but there has been little joy in it for the last couple.
Ms. Lady got her copy and finished it by 3am the next morning and was satisfied, I've basically wrung her for all pertinent details and will may or may not read it at a later date. It's kind of sad but I actually just wanted to know how it finishes without going through the trial of reading the damn things.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2007, 11:14:26 pm »

I don't believe for a minute that this is the end of the Harry Potter series.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2007, 11:25:03 pm »

I don't believe for a minute that this is the end of the Harry Potter series.

It's way too much of a cash cow, dude. Agreed.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2007, 05:21:28 am »

I mean, I dunno. she already has more money than god.

...can I please just have one thing where I am not cynical about it? she does not do it for the money. she loves writing, and loves these characters.

it was indicative to me that... when they were making the most recent movie, one scene called for Sirius Black's family tree. They called her for ideas of what it should look like... and she responded with "oh, I have it all written out, I can send it to you if you want."

So. to explain. she had, written out, a 6-8 generation family tree. for a semi-major character.

that is beyond passion, people.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2007, 07:20:41 am »

...   re.all.y.   ...   ?.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2007, 07:28:23 am »

She's in a pretty awesome position though.  She could put her name on a phone book, and people would line up a year from now to buy it.

(Have you seen?!? It's 1100 pages, and covers the entire 509 AREA CODE!)
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2007, 08:00:21 am »

Here's my prediction.  Bury it in the time capsule.  Dig it up in 20 years when it's all come to pass. 

Yes, Ash is right, she'll take a year or two off, spend some time with the kids and husband.  Then she'll get to work on her first post Harry Potter book.  It'll be something completely unrelated to Harry Potter.  It might come out at about the time of the last HP movie, but that, I think might be merely a coincidence.  It won't do as much business as Harry Potter by half.  I suspect that a large portion of Harry Potter readers are like me, people who have basically lost interest in the story, but continue on out of curiosity or because we've already come this far might as well see it to the end.  The (relatively) low sales figures will prompt the press to start calling her a has been and a one hit wonder.  Not wanting to tarnish her reputation and not needing the money she won't write anymore.  Until... well of course the offer is already on the table for her to come up with a new Harry Potter story.  That will never go away.  As time passes though her publishers will sweeten the pot until the paycheck is too much for even the fabulously wealthy J.K. Rowling to ignore.  I suspect the next book will tell the story of the death of Harry's parents.  It's a story that HP fans would love to read.  It's got many of the characters you love; Snape, Hagrid, Dumbledore, Voldemort, Jar Jar Binks.  And or course it will be a smash hit best seller.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2007, 02:03:04 pm »

  I suspect the next book will tell the story of the death of Harry's parents.  It's a story that HP fans would love to read. 

Of course, the prequel.  What a good idea. It would even be sort of not a Harry Potter book since he wouldn't really play an active role in it, as a tiny baby.  So she wouldn't even be going back on her word not to write another one.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2007, 02:38:44 pm »

Thw walrus was Paul.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2007, 02:51:18 pm »

Was the Silmarillion a prequel?  My vague memory of it was that it was more like putting the author's name on the cover of a phone book.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2007, 03:11:35 pm »

It was a phone book of middle earth but instead of phone numbers there was tedious exposition that was probably never intended to be anything more than an authors own guide to the universe. That thing is like reading fog.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2007, 03:43:04 pm »

That thing is like reading fog.

Brilliant phrase - Can'd!
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2007, 04:17:58 pm »

YOU CAN'T BUY HER DIGNITY GODDAMNIT.
(but I really do hope she writes more, so...)

I already heard she's planning on writing a big encyclopedia which will include a bunch of details she didn't put in the book.

also: she recently gave an interview where she gave more details about the end.

HELL OF SPOILERS GET THE HINT PEOPLE DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW, CHRIST!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up