Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Exciting New Book Thread  (Read 16475 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2007, 04:19:00 pm »

Dignity is a commodity that is basically always for sale.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2007, 05:30:54 pm »


HELL OF SPOILERS GET THE HINT PEOPLE DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW, CHRIST!

I was all disappointed when I heard that the epilogue doesn't tell you what they all did when they grew up aside from get married and have kids.  This story would clear that up better if I actually remembered what the Auror Department is.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2007, 06:01:42 pm »

basically they are the wizard FBI. they find the bad guys and do magic at them real hard.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2007, 06:18:24 pm »

Stop spoiling people!!!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2007, 07:39:42 pm »

basically they are the wizard FBI. they find the bad guys and do magic at them real hard.

I find the phrase "do magic at them real hard" extremely charming.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2007, 08:36:21 pm »

it's good to know that that was appreciated. I often spend way too much time trying to make purposely awkward/silly phrases.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2007, 06:02:22 pm »

so.

just finished Zodiac, then Cryptonomicon. Enjoyed both. Now torn apart by desire to learn to play piano, learn computer programming (which I was pretty awesome at, the two times I took a class), and take advanced science and math classes.

I REALLY DOUBT JAPANESE MILITARY CODES IN WWII WERE IN ENGLISH! JESUS, NEAL!

um, so now I am not sure what to read next. I feel that I had a stack of books I meant to read, but I forget what they were.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2007, 07:32:35 pm »

Read the Baroque Cycle.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2007, 08:23:44 pm »

I finished a dumb hacker-thriller paperback my father-in-law sent me.  It was full of twists!  and turns!  and twists on twists!  And double-crosses!  Damn, it was annoying, but it was OK bathroom reading.

I also finished Jim Collins' Good to Great, which more than anything makes me wish I worked for a better company.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2007, 08:26:35 pm »

I couldn't get through the Baroque Cycle. I have this thing where... I can't remember any of the characters, I kept confusing them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2007, 09:04:07 pm »

I couldn't get through the Baroque Cycle. I have this thing where... I can't remember any of the characters, I kept confusing them.

Have you read Diamond Age? It's way way waay shorter and really good. Except the man can't write an ending to save his life.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2007, 01:45:03 am »

I have noticed that about the endings.

but, yes, I have read everything he's ever written, except The Big U and the Baroque thingy.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2007, 03:34:03 am »

I happened to pick up Catch-22 and start re-reading it for the first time since high school.  Wow is it good.  Even better than I remember. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2007, 03:57:24 am »

Yeah, Catch-22 is hilarious and good.  Really, really good.  But also hilarious.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting New Book Thread
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2007, 09:48:58 pm »

Have you read Diamond Age? It's way way waay shorter and really good. Except the man can't write an ending to save his life.

Daniel, that makes me feel better because I could never get through the Baroque Cycle either. I bought The Confusion and couldn't get through it. It just wasn't as readable as Cryptonomicon or the Diamond Age. Cryptonomicon has a lot of the same family lines as the Baroque Cycle, but I just couldn't get into the Confusion.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up