Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: XKCD: On meeting the girlfriend's parents  (Read 6782 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
XKCD: On meeting the girlfriend's parents
« on: June 11, 2007, 04:10:02 pm »

When meeting a girlfriend's family, I have to suppress the weirdest thoughts.
QFT
My internal dialog usually has to do with suppressing compliments to them on raising such a hot little number.  I wonder how I'm going to handle this when my daughter gets to be of age...

"No, Mrs N, I didn't know M. won 1st place in junior AA hossback riding." No wonder she can grip my waist with her thighs so firmly "She sure has good saddle posture in that picture."
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: XKCD: On meeting the girlfriend's parents
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 05:22:46 pm »

Story I might have told elsewhere:

When meeting my parents, a boy of mine and my father were both enjoying some bonding by gently chiding me about my then vegetarianism over dinner.  The boy then said "Don't worry Mr. Side_show, I sneak into side_show's room every night and give her a hot beef injection."  He didn't mean it that way, and my dad didn't take it that way, but once the words were out of his mouth,the boy and I looked at each other out of the corner of our eyes and had to suppress laughter for the entire rest of the meal.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: XKCD: On meeting the girlfriend's parents
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 06:46:47 pm »

The first time I met The Gentleman Caller's father, I indirectly accused him of using my laptop without permission and then realized he merely owned a laptop of the same model as mine.

Later, he insulted me at Thanksgiving dinner, which necessitated one of those talks where the Gentleman Caller attempted to explain to me that that was "just (his) dad's way."

Victory!
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: XKCD: On meeting the girlfriend's parents
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 07:16:14 pm »

The boy then said "Don't worry Mr. Side_show, I sneak into side_show's room every night and give her a hot beef injection."  He didn't mean it that way, and my dad didn't take it that way . . .

Well, sure - or else your father would have been forced to kill him with a shrimp fork.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: XKCD: On meeting the girlfriend's parents
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 07:52:37 pm »

I met my girlfriend's parents approximately three hours after we got together.

Given that I had used the incredibly smooth "email-confessing-being-utterly-in-love" technique and then waited at length for her to work out how to respond to that little nugget of information, I was thankfully numb to the expected fear of embarrassing myself.

The only problem is that to this day I can't remember if I did embarrass myself or not. The fact that some part of me expected there to be a funny story somewhere in this post does not bode well.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: XKCD: On meeting the girlfriend's parents
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 08:14:36 pm »

It's interesting how many folks would not agree with the sentiment expressed in your signature there, Ruta.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: XKCD: On meeting the girlfriend's parents
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 08:18:13 pm »

It's me and Rowan Atkinson against the world.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: XKCD: On meeting the girlfriend's parents
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 10:04:32 pm »

Well, sure - or else your father would have been forced to kill him with a shrimp fork.

My right-wing dad was completely broken-hearted when he realized that said boy was gay.  That was long, long after I'd come to understand said boy would never, ever supply me with the hot beef injections I so longed for, and moved on to a veritable feast of sausage.  I mean the boy and I had both moved on to other people's sausages.  Okay, maybe I've driven the euphemism into the ground?  I don't even like sausage.  I mean... I like sausage, but I don't like sausage.  I mean... ugh.  Never mind.  Meat.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: XKCD: On meeting the girlfriend's parents
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 10:45:03 pm »

It's a veritable sausage-fest in here.

That's the first time I've ever used that expression and damn it, it felt good.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: XKCD: On meeting the girlfriend's parents
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 12:07:18 am »

"Don't worry Mr. Side_show, I sneak into side_show's room every night and give her a hot beef injection."  He didn't mean it that way, and my dad didn't take it that way,

You know, I'm still trying to figure out what other possible connotation the phrase implies.
The literal phrase seems physically impossible...
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: XKCD: On meeting the girlfriend's parents
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 12:27:56 am »

I met my boyfriend's parents like a week after we met/started dating, which struck me as moving very fast at the time. The main thing I got from it was that he really liked me because his parents and younger brother (who's pretty severely learning disabled) seemed to know almost all of the basic facts of my life.

I guess meeting them so early was par for the course, I spend probably 40% of my time there now.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: XKCD: On meeting the girlfriend's parents
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 01:24:20 am »

You know, I'm still trying to figure out what other possible connotation the phrase implies.
The literal phrase seems physically impossible...


I'm going to guess that the Homer's BBBQ episode of the Simpsons had recently aired. "I've got the prescription for you, another hot beef injection." "Another Whopper for the copper."
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: XKCD: On meeting the girlfriend's parents
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 01:40:24 am »

I met my wife's mother a few weeks ago - several years after we got married. It went much better than I had expected, probably because I am providing her daughter with food, clothing, and shelter.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: XKCD: On meeting the girlfriend's parents
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 04:25:12 am »

It's a veritable sausage-fest in here.

That's the first time I've ever used that expression and damn it, it felt good.

Whoa...you spend time in Alaska and you've never said that before?

Every time I go to the bar, I always either go with other ladies, or else once I arrive I look around desperately for my friends. The first thought I always have is, "Goddamn, it's a sausage fest in here. This is creepy. Where the hell are my girls?"
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: XKCD: On meeting the girlfriend's parents
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 04:31:51 am »

Did I read a comment from you in which you reported that the big bar in town (name escapes me)  had changed their name?

I went in there one time, just before I flew back to Anchorage, and the server spilled hot coffee on my . . . #####-area.

Then I got on the plane, and the flight attendant decided I needed a refill.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up