Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 15 June 2007 - A thrifty bachelor uses every part of his offensiveness  (Read 7835 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06152007

looks like Molly-haters have some ammo this time around ... nevertheless, it's nice to see her take on the Achewood all-caps rant.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

It is sad that the text of the last panel is too long for a thread title. While we never had a gift registry and don't own nice tableware for dinner parties (in fact we still eat off of plates that we bought at a yard sale fifteen years ago - although, it is a matching set) and I don't want any, Molly is absolutely right here about the tendencies of the opposite gender. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six

It is sad that the text of the last panel is too long for a thread title.
that was my thought too, but on the off chance someone came here before they saw today's strip it'd just be giving the whole thing away.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

You don't often see antimacassar in a sentence. You don't often meet anybody under the age of 120 who knows what one is.

I do get yelled at for this. Like if I put some frozen pizza in the toaster oven I'll put it on foil first. Because that way I don't have to wash the little baking tray or dirty a plate. Why do we even have aluminum foil if I'm not allowed to eat off of it?
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile

This is the first time in a while that I've laughed out loud, and at something the perennially unlikeable Molly said too.  Totally unexpected.  Reusable fart skin.  Nice.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace

See, Molly is actually talking about me in the last panel. My friends frequently come into my room and say, "SMELLS LIKE LAST NIGHT'S CHINESE IN HERE." I fail to correct them in that it is actually the last four night's Chinese that is smelling.

One of the reasons that my beau may turn into my husband one day: he would make me not do that. And he can cook. What I look for in a man? Someone man enough to be the household manager. Because I'm sure as HELL not doing it.

You don't often see antimacassar in a sentence. You don't often meet anybody under the age of 120 who knows what one is.


Also, remember that Molly is actually 400 years old. Thus, her boyfriend gets some of that knowledge imparted from her.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest

See, Molly is actually talking about me in the last panel. My friends frequently come into my room and say, "SMELLS LIKE LAST NIGHT'S CHINESE IN HERE." I fail to correct them in that it is actually the last four night's Chinese that is smelling.

One of the reasons that my beau may turn into my husband one day: he would make me not do that. And he can cook. What I look for in a man? Someone man enough to be the household manager. Because I'm sure as HELL not doing it.


Also, remember that Molly is actually 400 years old. Thus, her boyfriend gets some of that knowledge imparted from her.

On that note, remember Molly is also Welsh and her rant becomes ten times more awesome when you aurally imagine it in an angry Welsh accent.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest

Wow, it totally does get funnier if you imagine it in a Welsh accent.

Anyway, while I may get yelled at for this, it's kind of nice to see Molly take some air out of Beef's sails. It is depressing sometimes to be with a guy who can make anything an excuse to be depressed and/or righteously indignant.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile

I was eating some food when I got to the last panel, and I'm kind of regretting that now.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile


Anyway, while I may get yelled at for this, it's kind of nice to see Molly take some air out of Beef's sails. It is depressing sometimes to be with a guy who can make anything an excuse to be depressed and/or righteously indignant.

Hey! Are you having an affair with my husband??
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest

Hey! Are you having an affair with my husband??

Well, someone's got to please him.

Sheesh.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars

Wait, farts aren't supposed to come out inside of little bubbles of skin? I think I need to go see a doctor.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

I like how Molly's expression gets more and more angered until it culminates in the last panel. I wish I could mimic a Welsh accent, that would be great. At least Onstad doesn't try to approximate it like how Jeff Rowland tries to approximate Baby's English accent with "Ehn't" and stuff. It gets annoying to read, although I still love the comic.
Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely

I can't help but imagine Baby's dialogue in a really-badly-put-on faux-English accent (cf. Anthony LaPaglia in Frasier, and probably Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins, but that's somehow passed me by all these years.) I don't know if that's the idea or if it's just because of the whole being-English business, but it's a real help.

(I'm reminded of a time when someone wrote to may "I say potato, you say po-tay-to", which was a little perplexing because I just read it the same way twice. The fool.)

(I'm in turn reminded of an excellent sketch from a Secret Policeman's Ball, but sadly I can't find it on That YouTube. Oh well.)

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

After years of living with me... and then with me with my brother as our roommate... my girlfriend has basically given up on having nice things. She has accepted that I drink my morning coffee out of an Aqua Teen Hunger Force mug I got from an FYE that was closing and my brother drinks his out of a Ghostbusters 2 mug he got at a Goodwill.

Also, the fact that her mom spent most of the time they spent together her entire life trying to push a Manhattan-new-money sense of style and class down her throat because she was ashamed of being lower-middle-class Long Island helps a lot... accepting my manly lack of pretense helps her rebel against her mom's bourgeois tastes.

So everybody wins!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up