Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 15 June 2007 - A thrifty bachelor uses every part of his offensiveness  (Read 7833 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

Smick, that is the best story. But why don't you call Wales on the night shift also?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile

My mom is an attorney, so she's fairly well educated.   Her Yooper blood still dictates that when she's on vacation, she takes "Pitchers" of things to remember them later.

Every time I think of Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin or Michigan (or more specifically, the winters in those places) and think "how far north those damn places are", I'm usually brought up short by the realization that they're all south of where people live in Canada.  How do they survive winters in Canada?

There's a Yooper in one of our engineering groups.  I like talking to her just to hear her accent.  Plus she's blonde and 6' tall.  Interesting package.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile

Smick, that is the best story. But why don't you call Wales on the night shift also?

I actually tried last night, but they weren't open yet.
Logged

ImpyChick

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 12
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile

No idea, A-CAP, but the lady from Torchwood is hot.

Also, I can embrace a culture who would name someone Myfanwy.

Now: My professional story about Wales.

I work for a phone company.  I may have mentioned this.   Every morning I have to make a bunch of test calls to make sure my switch is not acting in an untoward manner.   Every morning I call a Pizza Hut in Cardiff, Cymru (Wales).  I don't have any kind of family tie to the Welsh.   I just like the fact that I'm calling a Pizza Hut that's across the street from a castle.  I like that the phone makes the ringback tones of the English phone system.  Boop Boop....Boop Boop... I like that they answer with a Welsh accent and say "Pizza Hut, High Street." 

I, like clockwork at 8:30am my time, 5:30pm their time, say "Good morning, just checking in." I always wait a beat before I hang up.  I usually get a response of "What?", "Pardon?", or "Eh?"  I explain that to coworkers as me testing for two-way audio.  I know, however, that I'm really just hoping someone connects this string of phone calls togther.  I hope that they're talking about it amongst themselves.  I hope that one day the response will be "Wait!" instead of the usual questions.  I hope I'm a mystery in someone's life.   I've been on nights for a few months, so I haven't been making the morning test calls.   Do they miss me?  I don't know.

I work for a phone company, I make mild prank phone calls for a living.


That's a great story!  Why did you choose to use a Pizza Hut in Wales for one of your test calls?  JUST because it's a Pizza Hut across the street from a castle? 

I work for a tele-conferencing center & I like calling people abroad to connect them to their conference calls.  They're always incredibly friendly, & I love listening to all the different accents.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile

It started when some of our customers were having problems with international dialing.  Usually I'll google up some movie theaters or fax machines in whatever area I'm trying to call.  Apparently movie theaters in the UK are all on a special prefix for informational lines.  (Similar but not quite the same a 800/866/888 numbers)

So my second stop was Pizza Hut.  I picked Cardiff, because I had been watching the Doctor Who spin off show, which is set in Cardiff and is not London. (Calls to the London prefix were working, but none of the others were).

Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile

Smick: I just saw the first ep last night and the welsh accents made me giggle far too much for the level of drama they were going for.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com

Smick, I read your story out loud to my wife, and she said, "You want to be that guy, don't you? You'd love to call a Pizza Hut in Wales every day just for the hell of it." And I do. I totally do.
Logged

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile

Smick, I read your story out loud to my wife, and she said, "You want to be that guy, don't you? You'd love to call a Pizza Hut in Wales every day just for the hell of it." And I do. I totally do.
Don't we all?
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

Don't we all?

Yes. We all want to be that guy. I'd better close this firefox tab before I start Googling the phone numbers of Welsh Pizza Huts.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile

Pizza Hut
28 High St, Cardiff, CF10 1PU, UK - +44 29 20371557

Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

Don't we all?

You deserve a tiny can for a great avatar and a Ben Folds quote in your sig.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

I've been to that Pizza Hut.  Or near it rather, it's right next to the McDonalds which had internet access. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com

I've been to that Pizza Hut.  Or near it rather, it's right next to the McDonalds which had internet access. 

Are there pictures? Tell me there are pictures.

Are we going to have to call dibs on certain hours to call? It would be suspicious (moreso) if we all called at once.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

I clearly remember taking a picture down that street because it was so utterly British.  You know with the McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Burger King, KFC, Starbucks, etc...   But I checked and alas, no such picture exist.  It must have been another typical English Street that I took that picture of.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up