Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Electricity  (Read 6317 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Electricity
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 06:57:43 am »

Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Electricity
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 04:42:53 pm »

Oh.  I just saw Weird Al live, in a private box, for free.

What was Weird Al doing in a private box.

Is it ok to like "Weird Al" now?  I've always loved him, but I figured you guys thought he was uncool.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Electricity
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 04:51:38 pm »

What was Weird Al doing in a private box.

Is it ok to like "Weird Al" now?  I've always loved him, but I figured you guys thought he was uncool.

Paul, you just like whatever you want to like and the Good Lord will provide.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Electricity
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 04:56:50 pm »

Paul, you like what you like.  You are ahead of the cool curve.  (edit: woah AW and I were almost verbatim on this one!)

As for Weird Al.  He is so uncool.  But the way he doesn't care about not being cool is just fantastic.  It was also really great to see so many pasty white guys get their nerd on without apology.  But I'm not a fan, so it was like observing other people enjoying themselves while I was mildly entertained.  I turned my sarcasm off before I got to the show, because I didn't want to be one of those people.  Especially because the guy who got us the tickets was so into Al.  Also, we saw ladies dressed full out like Amish men, with beards and all.  They were very serious about it.  No smiles what so ever.



Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Electricity
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 06:24:07 pm »

I remember hearing Al say that every time he releases an album everybody treats it like it's a huge comeback for him. And he's like, "I didn't go anywhere to come back from. It's just my newest album, and it hasn't even been that long since the last one."
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Electricity
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 07:59:10 pm »

I hate that man. I can get no enjoyment from his stuff.

I don't know. I'm still catching up on music that is not making fun of other music. There's enough of that out there that I don't see myself listening to weird al anytime soon.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Electricity
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 08:11:54 pm »

My daughter fell in love with a Weird Al song called "Genius in France".  She made me listen to it.

I was like:  Hey, that sounds like...that's a riff from...Dang! That's a direct ripoff of...

I was getting more and more irritated until I realized it was supposed to sound just like a Frank Zappa song because it was a Zappa tribute/parody.  I liked it much better then.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Electricity
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2007, 08:14:50 pm »

Funny.  I don't see it so much as him making fun of music, as it is him making fun of the rest of us, through music.  I won't go so far as to say its genius, and there's certainly more crap in his discography than gems, but I usually enjoy what I come across.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Electricity
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2007, 09:13:41 pm »

My daughter fell in love with a Weird Al song called "Genius in France".  She made me listen to it.

I was like:  Hey, that sounds like...that's a riff from...Dang! That's a direct ripoff of...

I was getting more and more irritated until I realized it was supposed to sound just like a Frank Zappa song because it was a Zappa tribute/parody.  I liked it much better then.

Dweezil plays on that song.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Electricity
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 09:25:14 pm »

This was the highlight of the evening for me.  He sang it live while the cartoon played in the background.  It is basically my SO and I down to a T.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Electricity
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 09:28:05 pm »

This was the highlight of the evening for me.  He sang it live while the cartoon played in the background.  It is basically my SO and I down to a T.

I knew before clicking what it had to be.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Electricity
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2007, 05:58:31 am »

Weird Al's stuff ranges from average to genius, but he's one of the few honest musicians left out there.  He writes what he likes and hasn't changed a thing to please anyone, ever.  He doesn't make the millions that his parody targets do, but he makes a ton of money and he knows he has a great life doing what he loves.

Plus, UHF is one of my favorite movies ever.  Completely timeless.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Electricity
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2007, 06:34:12 am »

The UHF soundtrack is one of his best albums. I knew Spatula City and Ghandi II by heart before I ever saw the picture.  The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota is also on there.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Electricity
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2007, 07:28:17 am »

My ladyfriend would leave me if Al made himself available to her.

When last we saw him, she was in the front row.  He came down and sang part of "Wanna B Ur Lovr" to her.   How's a pasty phone geek to compete with that?

She even does stuff like this in her spare time.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Electricity
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2007, 04:40:29 pm »

Remind her that he's probably impossible to beat in an argument - all deflecting good points with humor and able to skewer her weaknesses with passive aggressive barbs that leave her enervated.  All women appreciate an easy mark, which is the secret to long marriages.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up