I think we're talking about two entirely different things.
However, I think am certain that not every man accused of one of these crimes is guilty. I still haven't heard you even recognize that as a possibility.
Nobody here is saying that domestic violence doesn't occur or that it isn't a horrible horrible thing. However when you start talking about "men" in such broad sweeping terms you strike me as something of a bigot.
Bigoted because I'm pointing out that our society encourages violence against women? And yes, I have already made huge allowances for dudes who get falsely accused.
I guess that men latch onto one or two "innocent men" stories and can't see the forest for the trees. Why do guys focus on "the bitch with an axe to grind" stories rather than focusing on helping the victims?
If it sounds like I'm discounting the extreme minority of falsely-accused men in favor of the huge majority of domestic violence and rape victims that get chewed up by the system...you're absolutely correct.
If you want to talk about a system that fails, don't look at the minority of men who are falsely accused - look at the women who are given totally inadequate protection from perpetrators.
The men who get falsely accused still get public defenders, but women who try to have protective orders enforced get told by the police to call back later, like in the Castle Rock case. Once the dude's case gets dismissed, his record shows nothing about being accused of being a batterer.
Is this pervasive social atmosphere whereby women who accuse men of abuse are "automatically labeled as subhuman" one that's more pervasive over in America? Because I genuinely have never come across it in any other context than people railing against it, but it's possible that that's just chance or ignorance and I feel its wise to be well aware of the particular ways in which society is fucked up.
A recurrent theme that I see among well-educated middle-class white dudes is that they seem genuinely bewildered that these sorts of things actually happen to other people. These kinds of things do not happen within their world except to pathetic white trash on television, and the viewer can always feel a little smug that these people are such trash and obviously deserve their station in life. The bewildered dudes themselves work hard, pay taxes, do not hit their wives, and they send their daughters and sons to college, so why the hell are rabid-ass feminists like linnea trying to make them feel bad about having a c*ck?
...Dude, I am not trying to make you feel bad for having a c*ck. I'm trying to point out shit that happens to women that seems to fly below your radar.
I am always fighting a losing battle when I try to explain concepts like male privilege or what constitutes a patriarchical society. Dudes get hostile when I ask them to look outside their comfort zone. So whatever. Continue with your regularly scheduled programming.
Linnea, I think I agree with an awful lot of what you're saying, but I really don't think you're saying it in a terribly helpful way.
While we're about it, what's this about men not reporting abuse solely because they're too macho? I thought these relationships were complex?
This seemed like it was intended as a response to the point that some men are falsely accused and can be thoroughly fucked over despite being completely innocent. How relevant and important that point was aside, you've not really been very fair to it. In fact, you seem to have equated it with the nonsense defences of rapists who claim their victims wanted it really even if they said "no". Surely nobody here, making the former point, would say "the bitch asked for it"?
Look, domestic violence is a difficult topic. People
here on this message board implied that the woman in the photographs must like domestic violence because she stays with her abuser (e.g., she is stupid) and is willing to harass the cops who arrested him. Displays like that are a fixture on C.O.P.S. (heh,
Philippe reference to COPS), so much so that it's a common pop culture stereotype. "Oh honey, look at the poor white trash on TV, addled on meth and Night Train and harassin' the cops, even though the neighbors called the cops because Cletus was trying to bash Mary Jane's head in with a brick. She
must like it if she's pleading with the cops not to arrest him!"
As far as the male emotional response to being domestic violence victims - I'm sorry that wasn't the answer you wanted to hear, that is just compiled from the research that's been done...nationwide, statewide, and locally.
I get really pissed off when people disparage women because it happens all the god damned time. I get pissed off when people try to deny that there's an underlying societal structure that supports violence against women. A woman that I worked with used to come to work with bruises and shit, and explain with a laugh that it was because she was so clumsy. That DOES NOT mean she was a victim of domestic violence, she very well could have been telling the truth, but it was a red flag. I still got a little sick to my stomach every time she went through the "clumsy" routine. I got sicker when she railed against a woman here in town (S.) whose boyfriend got sent to jail for beating her, saying that S. should have been jailed too. Totally brainwashed by her asshole husband that women do not deserve help and that they are to blame for abuse.
The dudes on this messageboard are good people. I'm not trying to say that you are personally responsible for violence against women; however, society is responsible. I'm just confused why dudes are getting hot under the collar because I'm trying to explain why exchanges like this (about domestic violence and violence against women in general) make me angry because of the
underlying societal mechanisms that allow them to keep happening, mechanisms that are ignored and never challenged.