Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting  (Read 4511 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« on: June 26, 2007, 05:28:44 am »

What do you think is the greatest one-hit wonder? Please don't make it within the last five or ten years, as there's always a possibility those folks will put something else together.

I propose:

Biily Paul's "Me and Mrs. Jones".

Note: this is a terrible clip, but I had to include it for the cigar.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 05:46:53 am »

Oh man, I definitely have to throw "Come On Eileen" by Dexys Midnight Runners. Textbook def of a one-hit-wonder.

**EDIT: Damn you, TOUAMB and your sweet siren song! I should be PACKING! Also, I will provide delicious pizza and beer, so you guys should come up and help me haul my shit to the warehouse! ;) It's only about 2 pallets worth of boxes...no furniture.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 07:04:53 am »

Not within the past ten years? That disqualifies... almost all the music I listen to!

Anyway, if we're talking about individual songs, I'll bend the rules a bit and nominate Fastball's "The Way" and Primitive Radio Gods's "Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand." Both incredible songs, both never matched by their bands.

In terms of artists, can I nominate Thomas Dolby? If you like New Wave, he has a remarkable catalogue outside of his mildly-gimmicky hit. Then again, half of what I listen to could be classified as "artists who had one gimmick hit and released other, much better albums into obscurity." (Moxy Fruvous, anyone?)
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 07:52:42 am »

I love the Fruvous. Love love love.

Growing up as a frustrated artsy type within a three hour drive of the Canadian border listened to a whole lotta Fru and was shocked to discover that once you pass the customs booth...

Moxy Fruvous is not an obscure jam band with strong doses of politics and humour that you and the other people at the coffeeshop's open mic night can feel superior amoungst yourselfs about knowing and...

Instead they are a one-hit wonder from fifteen years ago that everyone hates not even because they actually dislike but rather just because it is so completely overexposed that whether it is good or not no longer matters, they're just sick of hearing about it.

Just like some people pretend that The Simpsons is no longer funny just because you can watch two hours of it every afternoon in syndication.

It's not that it's no longer funny, it's just been everywhere all the time for so long that you almost WANT to say it's no longer funny.

If you stand on the border with a Fruvous CD and shift your weight, back and forth, you can have a thousand people turning your nose up at you and then three middle class kids with acoustic guitars that they don't know how to play giving you a sly wink.

It's wild, it's wild.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 08:24:52 am »

And I was that middle class kid.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 08:34:28 am »

I got to say, The Simpsons is no longer funny.  Watch an episode from season six and one from today and tell me it is the same style of comedy.  It is just Family Guy with a glorious past.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 03:53:35 pm »

It wasn't even a hit, so much as a video that MTV played a lot back when they were desperate for videos to play: "AEIOU Sometimes Y" by Ebn-Ozn.  Just because it's so fuck*ng weird.  Skunk Boy on the Fairlight and David Lee Roth's Artsy Nephew on vocals.  The Eighties were just silly. 

The follow-up is even weirder. 
Logged

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 06:14:59 pm »

There's Harvey Danger's Flagpole Sitta, except I love everything else they've put out just as much, so I am always trying to get people to listen to them.  So far, I have succeeded in converting at least two or three people.
Logged
~

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 06:54:36 pm »

There's Harvey Danger's Flagpole Sitta, except I love everything else they've put out just as much, so I am always trying to get people to listen to them.  So far, I have succeeded in converting at least two or three people.

Can'd for reminding me of Harvey Danger. I've nearly played a hole in Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone?, and I really need to pick up their other albums.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 07:29:58 pm »

A friend sent me a mix of Bubblegum Music.  It's so fun.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 10:17:08 pm »

There's Harvey Danger's Flagpole Sitta, except I love everything else they've put out just as much, so I am always trying to get people to listen to them.  So far, I have succeeded in converting at least two or three people.

I know a girl who sang backup on that. She's got a gold record in her basement for it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 01:35:04 am »

Can'd for reminding me of Harvey Danger. I've nearly played a hole in Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone?, and I really need to pick up their other albums.

Their latest is available free on their site, and I definitely recommend it.  It took a while to really grow on me, but once it did, it's hard to stop listening to it.
Logged
~

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 05:49:56 am »

I know it's breaking the rules since isn't not that old, but clearly Liam Lynch will never have another hit, so whatever.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 06:40:13 am »

All of his Sifl N' Olly music was wonderful.

I'd encourage you to pick up the soundtrack.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 06:43:25 am »

All of his Sifl N' Olly music was wonderful.

I'd encourage you to pick up the soundtrack.

QFT!

"Rock and roll friends, turn each others books back in"
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up