Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting  (Read 4514 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 06:44:21 am »

You people are not getting it.

Pure sexy good times.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 06:53:00 am »

QFT!

"Rock and roll friends, turn each others books back in"

In a weird synchronicity, that line was playing as this page loaded.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 04:47:30 pm »

You people are not getting it.

Pure sexy good times.

Most excellent, thank you for that my good sir.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 08:01:51 pm »

um. no.

LOVEFOOL.

My greatest moment on my radio show was playing that song. My banter was so on, and the song was so happy and wonderful.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 08:11:36 pm »

Toy Soldiers.  I usually can't stand lovey-pop crap, but this one did stick in my 'banks as a genuine one-hit-wonder, and guilty pleasure.  I also liked 99 Luftballons.  I think Nena may have had some other legitimate english language hits though, so I'm not sure it counts.  Reading the lyrics is a trip back to cold war anxiety.  I don't miss that at all.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 09:40:59 pm »

um. no.

LOVEFOOL.

My greatest moment on my radio show was playing that song. My banter was so on, and the song was so happy and wonderful.

Also an excellent choice. Dag.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 12:01:42 am »

Like four songs from the first Presidents of the United States of America album.


Stuck in the Middle with You by whoever sings it.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 03:46:02 am »


Stuck in the Middle with You by whoever sings it.

Stealer's Wheel -- half of which is Gerry Rafferty, who had another hit with Baker Street.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 04:14:10 am »

So does it still count?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 05:11:59 am »

Like four songs from the first Presidents of the United States of America album.


Stuck in the Middle with You by whoever sings it.

They had four singles from that album? I only remember "Peaches".
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2007, 05:33:20 am »

There was also "Lump" which I only remember because Weird Al did a parody of it and...

Uhm.

Yeah. "Peaches" and "Lump".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2007, 06:04:47 am »

Basically that whole album was a one hit wonder for people probably a year above and below me.  I still remember being like 11 or 12 and listening to that cd while my dad got in his last few smokes before he had to coach my baseball team.  Listening to that album was my ritual, and the only reason my dad let it in the car was because of his respect for baseball rituals.

Lump, Peaches, Feather Pluckin and Dune Buggy all got at least moderate air time I thought, but could be wrong.  Those were the four I was referring to anyhow.  Peaches and Lump for sure.

Edit:  Plus, come on, the Drew Carey song.  But seriously, you have to give them credit for designing those guitars with two and three strings that they could play power chords with by just holding down all strings on any fret.  They were a million times better than the power chord bands that got real popular a couple years after them, you have to give them that, at least.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 06:08:27 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2007, 06:36:25 am »

Naked and Famous is beautiful, but I never heard it on the radio.  It's just a great song.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2007, 09:04:45 am »

Blur - Song 2
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2007, 09:10:24 am »

Parklife tracks got loads of play where I was at.  Plus, the strength of Blur's records and their U.K. popularity, I don't know.



Also, the Presidents of the... also had the single Kitty.  So Lump, Peaches and Kitty all got in the top 15.  And now that I think about it, I am downloading this record tonight.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 11:22:50 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up