Things have been going swimmingly for me artistically. Unfortunately, I'm currently faced with a dilemma. I have several very wonderful opportunities on the table that all happen over the month and a half span. While it would be possible to take on all the opportunities, if I did, I'd be so stressed out that I'd not enjoy any of them. So I basically need to cut out something. It's killing me though.
Here is what is up:
1) The theatre company that is producing my play has invited me to come down to workshop another play I've just written as part of a festival. There is a lot of work involved in the preparation, but this could lead to this new script also getting picked up by them to do, and no matter what will foster my relationship with the company quite positively.
2) Out of the blue the artistic director of an important theatre company called me and told me he was reading a script and had me in mind for a particular role. The role is pretty interesting, and I've really, really wanted to foster a relationship with this company. The script itself is not that fantastic. However, the amount of time learning lines, rehearsing etc. would mean I'd need to take a leave of absence from opportunity #3, and that I'd be taking on opportunity 1 at the same time as opportunity 2. Also, in some ways I'm sort of done with acting, and in others I sort of feel like I want one last hurrah.
3) The children's theatre has asked me back to my regular gig there running workshops. I love working there, it's a 10 month gig that provides me with financial stability, and it's just a nice place to be. The job does very little for me artistically, but the environment is wonderful. If I take opportunity 1, I'd likely only need to take a little time off. If I take opportunity 2 or a combination of 1&2 I'd need to take a month to a month and a half off during the busyest time of the program. While they're willing to let me take whatever time I need, I know I would be leaving them in a lurch and that things would likely go to shit while I was away.
I know myself well enough to know I'd be miserable doing all three at once. It's too much, and I'd crumble. If they weren't all happening within the same month I'd be overjoyed to have these three gigs on my plate for the year.