Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I beg your pardon  (Read 10606 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
I beg your pardon
« on: July 02, 2007, 10:45:44 pm »

"Scoot, you did a heckuva job."

I can't say I'm terribly surprised, but I guess I'm a little disappointed. Someone commented on another site (paraphrased) that the republican presidential candidates are probably all saying "Jeez, George, you're killing us out there!"
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 04:10:59 am »

It truly is bizzare, why even go through the sham of having him prosecuted in the first place? I guess they're counting on the american electorate's five minute attention span.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 04:32:10 am »

Stuff like this makes me really really mad.  I am on some strong downers right now and still really pissed.  Mainly because if the government came in right now I would face about 2 1/2 years and I would actually have to serve my time,  you know, for that crime that doesn't hurt anyone.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 04:54:07 am »

Yes, because when you buy drugs, that money goes to kitten cuddling charities.

So corrupt.  It's time for your country to have a nice, sexy president.  I mean just look at them.  George would cum in your eye, but Obama?  No.  He'd be polite about a thing.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 06:28:40 am »

Bill would cum in your eye... but he would convince you that you loved it before he left.

God, I miss that big ol' stoner.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 07:05:36 am »

Yes, because when you buy drugs, that money goes to kitten cuddling charities.

Actually, the drug money I have generally goes to an old dude who doesn't use his prescription (edit:  well, I am supporting pharmaceutical companies, is that maybe your point?) or some stoner who grows really good plants in Colorado.  And, that is a circular argument (if drugs were legal the bad guys wouldn't be making money, etc.blahblahblah).  Also, it is pretty hard to say who the bad guys are in drug producing countries.  Instead of the puppet on the left and right, they have the guys who are going to kill you or run your life on the left and right.  The worst S American (I assume this is who you are talking about?) killers were far right dictators.  Some supported by various countries(mine), others supported by N. American and European drug users(me, so it evens out), monetarily of course.  In the past I have admitted to bringing this up to much, but in this situation it is at least some what valid.  I mean, there is even loads of hypocrisy within drug laws.  Look no further than Crack vs. Cocaine penalties.  If you are rich it isn't as bad? 

Here is just one more argument:  I am required to pay taxes, and my government has killed more civilians than any drug dealing syndicate, so would you condemn me for paying my taxes in the same manner?


Anyhow, it is still bullshit.  This just does what bad laws (cough) started, making the validity of our hypocritical government disappear everyday.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 02:10:04 pm »

Yes, because when you buy drugs, that money goes to kitten cuddling charities.

So corrupt.  It's time for your country to have a nice, sexy president.  I mean just look at them.  George would cum in your eye, but Obama?  No.  He'd be polite about a thing.

Don't buy into the whole "drug money supports terrorists" scam - that's basically just to snow you. Shit, shopping at Wal-Mart supports more human rights abuses than buying weed does. And as Keith says, it's a circular argument. If drugs were legal, the growers would get more of the money. However, our government is at least quasi-legal, and look at what they've managed to pull off in terms of torture, human-rights abuses, false imprisonment and murder. It's good to be the king!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 02:26:57 pm »

Bush on never granting a stay of execution while governor of Texas:
Quote
I don’t believe my role [as governor] is to replace the verdict of a jury with my own, unless there are new facts or evidence of which a jury was unaware, or evidence that the trial was somehow unfair.

(source)
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 02:43:37 pm »

George Bush about Karla Faye Tucker, a woman on Texas' death row whom he declined to pardon or commute the sentence of:

In the weeks before the execution, Bush says, a number of protesters came to Austin to demand clemency for Karla Faye Tucker. "Did you meet with any of them?" I ask. Bush whips around and stares at me. "No, I didn't meet with any of them", he snaps, as though I've just asked the dumbest, most offensive question ever posed. "I didn't meet with Larry King either when he came down for it. I watched his interview with Tucker, though. He asked her real difficult questions like, 'What would you say to Governor Bush?'" "What was her answer?" I wonder. "'Please,'" Bush whimpers, his lips pursed in mock desperation, "'don't kill me.'" I must look shocked — ridiculing the pleas of a condemned prisoner who has since been executed seems odd and cruel — because he immediately stops smirking.

source
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 04:44:19 pm »

What's the validity of the comparison here? That he should've considered clemency for an ax swinging murderer as well?

I'm not big on the idea of clemency for either of them. Scoot took the position of fall guy, he needs to pay the toll.

I didn't make the comparison, so this is second hand, but I think the point is Bush is acting inconsistently and hypocritically.  If he's going to respect the findings of courts and juries, he should always respect the findings of courts and juries.  If he's not going to listen to protestors or friends of the defendant, he should never listen to such folks.  He shouldn't change his behavior when the defendant is a wealthy, powerful friend of his instead of a poor nobody.

I'm not saying Karla Faye Tucker should have been pardoned or her death sentence commuted.  I know next to nothing about the case.  I just find George Bush's behavior exceptionally offensive in this case in light of his stated philosophy.  Of course, it shouldn't surprise anyone coming from a man who claims to follow the teachings of Jesus yet supports torture.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 04:51:03 pm »

yeah, ok, the sneering and mocking of a person who was going to be killed by the state basically has made me lose my last shred of respect for that man.
the days of "he means well, he's just incompetent" are over.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 05:51:29 pm »

Sheesh... Keith...I said the money goes to kitten cuddling... I was joking.  References to kitten cuddling are meant to be silly... I thought that was... obvious?  Kittens, dude.  Kittens.  Lighten up.  You are clearly not taking the right drugs.  Relax.  Don't waste your time getting in a huff imagining "circular arguments" I'm not even making.  If you had been paying any attention to any of my previous posts on drug use, you would have noticed that I am and have always been on the pro-legalization side of things.  I was making fun of you because you have made yet another of your "I do drugs!" posts.  Good for you.  You're so cute when you do that.  Cute like a kitten in need of cuddling.  So, you know, I'll send Linnea your way, and she'll rub your tummy until you're purring and batting around a catnip penis.  Okay?

Anyway, it is good to hear you are trying to be ethical in your drug purchasing.  More people should be.  Locally (and I mean, right across the street, down the block and on my corner) drugs are dealt by gang members, and buying from these young men feeds directly into a gang economy that is destroying the lives of many young people in my neighbourhood, and the neighbourhood itself.  Innocent bystanders are getting shot, kids as young and 8 are being recruited, meth labs are blowing up, and young girls in their early teens are being pimped.  It's a travesty.  I was walking down my street and kids had drawn on the street in chalk - cute butterflies, Spongebob, and gang insignia.  WTF?  Indeed if people were free to grow their own or purchase legally, much of this economy would fold.  

In my salad days, I bought from hazy sources that no doubt fed into these economies, so I am as guilty as anyone.  Personally I found it next to impossible to know where what I was buying was coming from, nor did I really want to know.  You say you're being ethical, so who am I to judge?  I never even tried to be ethical.  My personal experience in this and in life in genearl is that it's far easier to be inethical.  That is why Wal-Mart has so many customers.  If things were legalized, or even better, decriminalized, the option to buy ethically would be far more available.  

As to paying taxes:  If you don't support your government, take action to create change, and/or leave the country.  I don't understand why so little action has been taken to impeach Bush.  I mean, isn't he around a gagillion (statistical fact!) times more terrible than Clinton ever was?  I just don't get it.

Also, Nabu, love - I wasn't referring to a drugs = funding terrorism argument.  Not at all.  That wasn't even on the radar , nor is it a concept I even mildly agree with.  I think the "funding terrorists" argument has been wholly dismissed in Canada, as  I've only seen it in American media anyway.  Recently leaked Canadian government documents identify Aboriginal groups as terrorist threats to the country.  I am considered a potential terrorist in my country's eyes, so... Gah... I don't know, buy more drugs from Canada!  Maybe, somehow the money will find it's way back to me!  Maybe I'll get a government check, and then we'll have a party!  

If you assume, you make an ass of you and me.  Kisses.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 08:23:53 pm »

Also, Nabu, love - I wasn't referring to a drugs = funding terrorism argument.  Not at all.  That wasn't even on the radar , nor is it a concept I even mildly agree with.  I think the "funding terrorists" argument has been wholly dismissed in Canada, as  I've only seen it in American media anyway.  Recently leaked Canadian government documents identify Aboriginal groups as terrorist threats to the country.  I am considered a potential terrorist in my country's eyes, so... Gah... I don't know, buy more drugs from Canada!  Maybe, somehow the money will find it's way back to me!  Maybe I'll get a government check, and then we'll have a party!  

If you assume, you make an ass of you and me.  Kisses.

I'm sorry. I knee-jerked. But at least it got you to call me 'love'.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 08:42:35 pm »

I didn't make the comparison, so this is second hand, but I think the point is Bush is acting inconsistently and hypocritically.  If he's going to respect the findings of courts and juries, he should always respect the findings of courts and juries.  If he's not going to listen to protestors or friends of the defendant, he should never listen to such folks.  He shouldn't change his behavior when the defendant is a wealthy, powerful friend of his instead of a poor nobody.

I'm not saying Karla Faye Tucker should have been pardoned or her death sentence commuted.  I know next to nothing about the case.  I just find George Bush's behavior exceptionally offensive in this case in light of his stated philosophy.  Of course, it shouldn't surprise anyone coming from a man who claims to follow the teachings of Jesus yet supports torture.

Dammit, AW, I could not have said it better myself. Tiny can for a succinct argument.

So, you know, I'll send Linnea your way, and she'll rub your tummy until you're purring and batting around a catnip penis.  Okay?
Why do you give my dreams away?::weeps::

Dude, there are more than enough tummy rubs to go around. Also, I am thanking God right now because I have a happy, healthy Lennybruce and Mi-wan to pet and give tummy rubs to. They are both doing so well.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 08:46:02 pm by linnea »
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 08:46:36 pm »

As usual, AW said it better than I could. I think there's also a level of visceral repulsion at the level to which Bush fell about the Tucker case -- she probably didn't deserve clemency, but nobody deserves to be viciously mocked by the government that is supposed to consider your case soberly.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up