Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.  (Read 3173 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
« on: July 03, 2007, 10:39:20 pm »

Heh... I almost peed myself laughing when I read this column. I love Latin culture, being Sicilian myself and also having Latin blood. I love the dude's writing style.
 
Like how Dan Savage used the "Hey Faggot" column title, Sr. Arellano uses "Ask a Mexican" for his column. I don't like his use of the word pussy as a pejorative, but his column is still pretty funny. Also, he italicizes all the Spanish words in his column...but BBcode is annoying so I'm not gonna. I trust that most of you have a good enough grasp of English to understand when a Spanish word is being used.

Also, is there some sort of long-standing feud between Mexicanos and Guatemalans? He seems to diss on Guatemala a fair bit in his column.

Quote from: Gustavo
Mexico of the North
Canadians bond with their very southern brothers.
By Gustavo Arellano
Published: June 21, 2007

Dear Readers: Contrary to what some of ustedes think, racist gabachos and self-hating Mexicans aren't my only fans. Many of our friendly neighbors to the Great White Norte also love me. In honor of my home town Anaheim Ducks pounding on pussy Canadians to win the Stanley Cup, I dedicate this column to ellos.

Dear Mexican: Why do Americans bitch about Mexicans stealing jobs? I constantly see white guys overseeing Mexican crews . The only thing I can think of that would make a white guy hire Mexicans is if they're willing to work for less pay than Americans. Lots of Americans like getting more for less, so why do they complain if lots of American bosses like getting more for less? Also, lots of Americans praise values like working hard and taking care of their families, yet jobs go unfilled because they won't "work beneath their dignity." Mexicans will "work beneath their dignity" so they can feed their families. So how do Mexicans "steal" jobs that Americans don't want, and why is it bad that they work like this?

Canadian Tourist

Dear Hoser: Why do Americans bitch about Mexicans stealing jobs? Gabachos whining about immigrants undercutting the American working man is as essential to this country's bedrock of liberty as the blood spilled on Iwo Jima. What's most fascinating about this psychosis is how it persists despite everyone knowing who the true culprit is: the free market. Sorry, Tom Tancredo: Erect all the border walls and sic all the migra agents you want to keep Mexicans away, but if Big Business wants wabs, Big Business will get wabs.

Dear Mexican: I know that to Mexicans, a Canadian probably seems like another serving of mayonnaise. But Canadians and Mexicans have a lot in common. We both put up with a lot of the same bullshit from a certain you-know-who across the border; you might say that we're like the two slices of bread on either side of a big bullshit sandwich. Do you think there will ever be greater cooperation between our peoples? I wonder if the Mexicans who dream of America might dream of Canada instead. For every Mexican who moves to Canada, we could send one Canadian back to Mexico — or we could send blocks of ice to help ease the raspado shortages.

Juan Canuck

Dear Hoser: We're already amigos. In 2004, the two countries signed the Canada-Mexico Partnership in honor of the sixtieth anniversary of diplomatic relations between los dos. As with most treaties involving Mexico, the CMP benefits mostly Mexicans — for instance, Canadian industries are helping redevelop the cities of Matamoros and Reynosa and have provided millions of dollars in credit to Mexican businesses. As a result, Mexicans are flocking to Canada; according to one Mexican governmental report, the number of Mexicans there increased almost 94 percent, from 22,035 in 1991 to 42,740 in 2001. I gotta hand it to you moose eaters: While most gabachos are celebrating the defeat of the amnesty bill in a manner better befitting Osama's capture, you're making nice with us. When the conquest of Aztlán is complete, we shall remember your kindness and offer Guatemala as a token of goodwill.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 11:34:23 pm »

This isn't the right way to say it, but I always understood that Mexicans feel the way about Guatemalans that some in the US feel about Mexicans, for generally the same reasons.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 11:47:12 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 11:41:22 pm »

I wonder if the people in Tiera Del Fuego hate the hell out of people from Antarctica.   
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 06:35:47 am by smick »
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 04:15:38 am »

I wonder if in Tiera Del Fuego hate the hell out of people from Antarctica.   

Damn Icebacks!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

mrchee

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 163
  • -NULLAM REM NATAM-
    • View Profile
Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 03:50:52 am »

I've been to Tierra del Fuego
I've been to Antarctica

Tierra del Fuego is better
Logged
If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 06:03:28 am »

my grandparents love Tierra del Fuego. They have been several times, I think.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 07:17:23 pm »

I've been to Tierra del Fuego
I've been to Antarctica

Tierra del Fuego is better

Antarctica, you're no Tierra del Fuego.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 10:09:19 pm »

Antarctica, you're no Tierra del Fuego.

I think I've mentioned already that I got called back for a draftsman job in Antarctica. If I didn't have my little bratty rat Scottish Folds, I would probably go. It has a shorter span than a stint in the Peace Corps.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 10:49:03 pm »

Alaska wasn't cold enough for you, eh? 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 02:10:55 am »

Or isolated enough!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 03:12:43 am »

Alaska wasn't cold enough for you, eh? 
Or isolated enough!

I bet there are more people at McMurdo than were at my town in AK. I should check on that, though.

I mean...after Alaska, what's the next logical step? Siberia? Working at a research station in the Antarctic would be pretty badass.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 11:52:49 am »

If you are serious, I know someone who spent time in Antarctica, I could ask if she'd be willing to talk to you.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 04:30:33 pm »

One of my old coworkers was a physicist who specialized in high-altitude aerosols.  He spent 2 years floating balloons around Antarctica (working on a post-doc), and had a huge repository of stories about science, drama, isolation and madness.  One of my favourites had to do with a rescue from a deep pool of sewage that had formed under the ice (and maintained fluidity due to heat from bacterial fermentation). 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 07:36:19 pm »

Antarctica is a place I'd like to go eventually. I'm not sure if they have a lot of call for neuroethologists down there, but if they do, I can take the cold and potential insanity.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 07:39:38 pm »

Antarctica is a place I'd like to go eventually. I'm not sure if they have a lot of call for neuroethologists down there, but if they do, I can take the cold and potential insanity.

Actually V, you've been in Antarctica for several years now. TOUAMB, its denizens, and even Achewood itself are all just in your head, created by your insanity and loneliness. That and some tainted penguin meat.



What a twist!
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up