Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dawgs  (Read 7189 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Dawgs
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2003, 05:12:48 am »

Has anyone else read Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" series?  Particularly the second story line: A Doll's House?

Just wondering.  PM me.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Dawgs
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2003, 01:51:01 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I used to have rats named THIS and THAT. Then they had babies, which I referred to as "THOSE" before we took them to the pet store. Sadly the rats only lived a few years, but they make AWESOME pets.


Presidential Pet Trivia: Lyndon Johnson's famous beagles -- the ones he picked up by the ears in this notorious photograph -- were named "Him" and "Her."

And who here could forget FDR's little dog Fala?  Or Nixon's infamous "Checkers speech?"  Ah, yes.  I'm a veritable font of useless knowledge.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Dawgs
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2003, 02:30:57 pm »

There's a statue of Fala at the FDR memorial. I wonder if it is the only dog at a national monument or if there is another one I don't know about.  It's quite large.  There is also a statue of Eleanor which I think is about the right size to have an Achewood garment photographed attached to her in some way (although I don't think we could get it over her head).  If only we could ever get those DC Acheheads to get together to do this...
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Dawgs
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2003, 01:01:40 am »

Picturing Eleanor Roosevelt in an Achewood Spaghetti Strap Tank is making me hot.

Oh, yeah. Send photos.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Dawgs
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2003, 01:03:45 am »

FDR falls into the category of The Many Monuments I've Never Been To. Also on the illustrious list: Wash, Jeff, Korean, Holocaust.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Dawgs
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2003, 04:43:45 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Picturing Eleanor Roosevelt in an Achewood Spaghetti Strap Tank is making me hot.

Oh, yeah. Send photos.


Allow me to be the first to say --

YIKES!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Dawgs
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2003, 08:42:59 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
I gotta great doggie with a sweet disposition


What sort o' pooch is that? Is it a golden retriever? Those are awesome. Looks like a totally sweet dog.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Dawgs
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2003, 01:46:34 pm »

I am having a love affair with paul's handlebar moustache.  

Also, I remember seeing Fala at the FDR memorial and was so excited that I called Dad on my cell just to tell him about it.  (He's a geek like me.  Or, rather, I'm a geek like him, since I totally blame him for my geekiness, which I believe to be a congenital condition.)  The FDR memorial is probably my favorite, seeing as how I'm all about some symbolism, but if you've only got 3 hours in DC, you should go to the Holocaust museum.  It's absolutely horrifying to go through, it changed my whole perspective.  It took me about half an hour just to stop sobbing.  And I'm not the weepy type at all.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Dawgs
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2003, 02:29:24 pm »

We discussed the FDR memorial in my architecture class for like 3 hours. I think the final consensus was that it looked better before it was retrofitted to be handicap accessible, but it was a really stupid idea not to build it as accessible to begin with.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Dawgs
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2003, 03:51:47 pm »

Especially as a memorial to a president who used a wheelchair.  Yeah, that is hella irony for you.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Dawgs
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2003, 08:37:29 pm »

The fact the FDR's memorial could POSSIBLY have been designed in a way that would have excluded FDR himself is an amazing tribute in and of itself.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Dawgs
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2003, 04:47:25 am »

Yes, Goldie (Oh how original, I know) is a golden retriever.  She is a totally sweet doggie.  BTW, I didn't name her, she came with that name and seemed rather attached to it so I left her with it.   I never name my own pets for some reason.  Before Goldie I had a beautiful golden lab mix named Mack which was named by the neighbor.  As a puppy he would visit her (the neighbors) dogs and would bowl them over playing because he was so much bigger than them.  So he got the name Mack because he was like a Mack truck.  I only found that out much later.  I thought they just named him Mack because that's my name you know.  Then I got Rae (That's her in the avatar taken at the very moment she first met Goldie--They get on famously now) who was named by my then girlfriend.  So for a whie my pets were named Mack and Rae, get it.  Before Mack I had a Spitz Terrier named Dinglehopper.  My mother came up with that one.  Apparently that's a comb which is actually a fork in The Little Mermaid movie.  When D was a little puppy he would get in her hair (figuratively and literally).  When I was a teenager I took in a stray cat and named him Sasha Emma Cooper so it's probably a good thing that I don't name pets.  Lord forgive me if I ever have a daughter because I swear I will name her after my great grandmother Amazon Caldonia.  I love that name, it's so cool, but certain adolescent hell for the poor child stuck with it.

Picturing Eleanor Rosevelt in a spaghetti strap tee somehow reminds me of Will Ferrell as Janet Reno.  Whats up with that?

JL you like my moustache.  That's cool.  Insert sexually charged handlebar moustache inuendo here.

~Paul

PS- Amazon was 4'-11" tall.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up