Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Music of Summer 07  (Read 14366 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2007, 02:59:40 pm »

Sorry about not making that clear - my wife is not a junkie.

Although it would explain a lot. Such as her choice of husband.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2007, 03:14:41 pm »

Although it would explain a lot. Such as her choice of husband.

FLAWLESS VICTORY!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2007, 05:31:27 pm »

oh, no, I thought maybe she was a diabetic who does not properly dispose of needles. I figured you were not telling us about your wife's drug habit.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2007, 05:43:14 pm »

I read this and thought "cue Linnea's horrified reaction."

I've never had a "live" needle stick. We had a needle stick in my EMT-II training class though. It was with a sterile needle while one of our dudes, Fernando, was trying to start a line in a dummy arm. Three pounds of paperwork, dude.

This is how I imagine a live stick would transpire. Ahem.

AIIIIEEEE!! UGH! *convulses* NEEDLE STIIIICK! Get medical control on the phone, 10-21! Jesus, Nabu, make that thing bleed. Let's get some disinfectant. Fuck, bleed it MORE! What does Hudson have to say about the disinfectant? We have some prep pads with nonoxyl-9. Oh god... get a 10-21 to the hospital, we've gotta get him started on a prophylaxis course of antivirals stat. Jesus fuck, I need some Kevlar antistick gloves and the biggest sharps container we got. Dude, I hope you're current on your Hep-A and tetanus. What do they do about Hep C?  Fuck it, I'm gonna use a stick to shovel them into the sharps box. *cue three dozen pounds of paperwork*

*twitch*
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2007, 06:02:32 pm »

I've said enough about the quality of my neighbourhood that I won't repeat it.  If you don't know already, all you need to know is that I live in the ghetto, and that my SO has found needles lying around on our boulevard and other places around our neighbourhood as recently as last week. 

I was at work, and it had come to the end of my day.  I'd come in with an expensive pair of European cork-based shoes, but it had started raining.  In case you're not aware, cork + rain = ruined shoes.  But I really wanted to go home.  Then I was like "I know!  I'll just walk home bare foot... oh, but then I'd be walking down my street, and then I'd be addicted to smack.  Sigh."

That is what I thought of when nabu mentioned the sack of needles. 

But knowing McDonalds, this is just a new marketing ploy.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2007, 06:13:51 pm »

That is what I thought of when nabu mentioned the sack of needles. 

But knowing McDonalds, this is just a new marketing ploy.

Mel, it seems like every day you say something new that amuses me to no end. CAN'D.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2007, 06:23:23 pm »

  In case you're not aware, cork + rain = ruined shoes. 

Ok this has gotten so off topic already that I might as well ask...  So why does anyone make shoes out of cork?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2007, 06:56:48 pm »

Ok this has gotten so off topic already that I might as well ask...  So why does anyone make shoes out of cork?

Christ had 'em so He could walk on the water.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2007, 08:58:45 pm »

Ok this has gotten so off topic already that I might as well ask...  So why does anyone make shoes out of cork?

My question is how does rain ruin cork?

My friend Jan has an artcar covered with corks.  She also has several outfits covered in cork.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2007, 04:12:42 am »

Cork shoes are awesome for folks like me with hella joint problems because the foot bed naturally conforms to your foot, making a natural and supportive insole.  The best known cork shoes are Birkenstock's, but mine are Mephistos (they have a higher arch).  They are super comfy.  It is the combination of cork, plus water, plus pressure that makes them crumble.  So Paul, your friend's car probably crumbles in places where pressure is applied during saturation.  This can be remedied by buying and applying a bottle of cork protector, but I keep forgetting to get some.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2007, 04:37:20 am »

I am listening to Daft Punk, Justice, Air, The National, Silver Jews and funk hard this summer.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2007, 04:43:33 am »

I am convinced that every time I read a list of band names people are into, at least one of them is made up to see if I am cool enough to catch which one is the fake.

My heart says that "Silver Jews" is the fake but... it's almost too fake to be fake.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2007, 03:34:11 pm »

no, it's Justice. that can't be a band. I know that the Silver Jews are real.

also: I just downloaded a bunch of Folk Rock, but now I am sick of it before I listened. This happens so often.

So right now I am pretty into "Choubi Choubi," which is a compilation of Iraqi folk and pop music. Pretty much awesome. It makes me think that I need to keep taking arabic next year... which totally screws up all my classes. Not that they weren't already really messed up.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2007, 03:34:24 pm »

I've never had a "live" needle stick. We had a needle stick in my EMT-II training class though. It was with a sterile needle while one of our dudes, Fernando, was trying to start a line in a dummy arm. Three pounds of paperwork, dude.

I've had one.  I was hung over, and got up to give my cat his morning insulin.  As I was trying to return the needle into the orange cap, apparently the needle got caught on the rim, and ended up bending to the side and puncturing through the cap and right into my thumb.

Good thing he is negative for feline aids.  Now I just gotta worry about the cat diabeetus.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2007, 04:12:58 pm »

My heart says that "Silver Jews" is the fake but... it's almost too fake to be fake.

They're real, and they're spectacular.

And Justice is an awesome new electronic band.  That post was originally supposed to talk about how I was listening to lots of French electronic music, but then I remembered the Silver jews and National. 

The Silver Jews are Stephen Malkamus' (Pavement) first band.  He is still a member, although they are getting old, so who knows if they are still planning anything,etc.  He doesn't write the songs or sing.  The other dude, it turns out, is a different but at least equally talented songwriter, and if singing is decent I don't complain (raised on Dylan).

Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up