Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Summer Vacation '07  (Read 7953 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Summer Vacation '07
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 01:52:05 pm »

We've already been to the beach.  Details and cute kid pictures on the blog (and I worked an Achewood reference in there).

We may go again in September.  With the kids not in real school yet, it's just as easy to go in the shoulder months when the weather's still decent and prices are more reasonable.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Vacation '07
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 10:19:44 pm »

Well, we came back from th cruise and I'm now wishing the next one was booked already.

Had a lot of fun, here's some of the things still dancing in my head at work today.

Coco Cay, Bahamas. Royal Caribbean's private island.

St. Thomas, where we went on a submarine ride and bought opals.

Anguilla, where we swam with dolphins and enjoyed a private beach.

I guess I'm pretty much ruined by spoiling now and am eagerly waiting the rate and schedule books for '08 so we can plot out Alaska.


Wow!! You guys must have had a fabulous time. Those pictures are gorgeous. How come you and the Asherbaby et al aren't in the pictures?


We've already been to the beach.  Details and cute kid pictures on the blog (and I worked an Achewood reference in there).

We may go again in September.  With the kids not in real school yet, it's just as easy to go in the shoulder months when the weather's still decent and prices are more reasonable.

Your little ones are adorable. Again, great summer vacation photos. Did you get any pictures of the obnoxious high schoolers and the tiny ##### that they have fashioned for each leg, since they couldn't wear their ##### any lower?
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Summer Vacation '07
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 02:28:58 am »

St. Thomas, where we went on a submarine ride and bought opals.

Ooh, been there.  We had our honeymoon on St. Croix, but one day we took a ferry over to St. Thomas for the day.  St. Croix is much quieter, so on the whole I'm glad we were there for the week, but it was fun to go to a busy shopping town for a day.  Also, cruise ships are really large.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Vacation '07
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 05:42:43 am »

Ooh, been there.  We had our honeymoon on St. Croix, but one day we took a ferry over to St. Thomas for the day.  St. Croix is much quieter, so on the whole I'm glad we were there for the week, but it was fun to go to a busy shopping town for a day.  Also, cruise ships are really large.

I think I already posted my cuss-filled post about how much I hate getting patients off a cruise ship. Basically the security dudes on cruise ships are dicks. "Uh...YOUR cruise ship passenger had a heart attack. YOU called us to help you. Can we board the fuckin' ship already? Why won't you let us on?" INSANITY.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Summer Vacation '07
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 06:42:35 am »

So, uh, my parents and I went on a day trip to New Orleans last week. This was generally fun, except for the part where the first night out I got food poisoning. The rest can be summed up in three words: "misery," and "subconjunctival hemorrhage."

We did go to the aquarium, though, which was fun. I'm thankful that I've retained my ability to enjoy childlike glee when looking at a weird animal. ("Holy crap, look at those jellies! Aren't they totally weird? ... hey, over there, leafy sea dragons! Aww man!!")
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Vacation '07
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 09:26:59 am »

I don't know if it counts, but I went to Okemah, Ok to see the Woody Guthrie Folk Festival this weekend.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Vacation '07
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 02:39:34 pm »

I don't know if it counts, but I went to Okemah, Ok to see the Woody Guthrie Folk Festival this weekend.

LUCKYYYYYYY!!! Man, that sounds awesome. One of my favorite bands, Son Volt, has an album that was inspired by Woody Guthrie ("Okemah and the Melody of Riot" is the album name). One of my all-time favorite songs is Bandages & Scars, and the lyrics on that song include, "the words of Woody Guthrie ringing in my head..."

I remember seeing a poster that features a quote by Guthrie. I should look around on the internets or eBay to find the poster, because I love it.

Quote from: Woody Guthrie
I hate a song that makes you think that you are not any good. I hate a song that makes you think that you are just born to lose. Bound to lose. No good to nobody. No good for nothing. Because you are too old or too young or too fat or too slim too ugly or too this or too that. Songs that run you down or poke fun at you on account of your bad luck or hard traveling. I am out to fight those songs to my very last breath of air and my last drop of blood. I am out to sing songs that will prove to you that this is your world and that if it has hit you pretty hard and knocked you for a dozen loops, no matter what color, what size you are, how you are built, I am out to sing the songs that make you take pride in yourself and in your work.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Vacation '07
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 09:07:57 pm »

I dig on some Son Volt, but manly Trace.

Also, that is a really good quote.  I had heard the last couple sentences, but just heard the first couple this weekend.  This was my sixth consecutive Woody Guthrie festival, it is kind of me and my dads bonding time for the year, you could say.

My favorite is the old classic "i ain't a communist necessarily, but i been in the red all my life."   If you like Woody Guthrie at all I recommend getting the 3 disc Library of Congress recordings.  They are a-mazing.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Vacation '07
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 07:00:32 am »

My wife and daughters spent a month in Ohio and I went out for two weeks. I got to go to two Indians games, Cedar Point, the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo and Rainforest, saw some old friends, saw my parents and sister, and generally had the good old midwestern time I've been missing for 5 years now.

Also, my kid got to see, in the woods and not the zoo, and owl, some bats, deer, fawns, a skunk and a raccoon. There are no woodland critters in Hawaii so that was worth it right there.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Vacation '07
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 04:04:57 pm »

Well, Kauai has chickens.  They're not very exotic, I'll admit.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Vacation '07
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 05:59:57 pm »

Well, Kauai has chickens.  They're not very exotic, I'll admit.

My neighbor has friggin' chickens. I've seen pretty largish pigs and babies by the side of the road, too. Mongeese. Rats. Mice. Chameleons and Geckos. Cane Toads and Coqui Frogs.  Birds (including peacocks). Feral Cats. That's almost all the animals here.

Some Mouflon Sheep and Axis deer on other islands. That pretty much covers the terrestrial critters.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Vacation '07
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2007, 09:01:57 pm »

We had our honeymoon on Kauai (almost 10 years ago!!).  We'd packed a lunch and went hiking into some forest off the Wailua river.  No habitation, up hills, over dale.  Finally settled down for a picnic.  After a while, we heard some sort of slithering, cracking, rustling from a wall of bamboo-ish shrubbery.  Stacey was terrified, certain that some sort of Komodo dragon-like beast would make a meal of us.  After a moment, a shivering branch of low-hanging bamboo was thrust aside by a black and orange rooster.  He strutted out and kept a beady eye on us while his 5 hens scuttled across the clearing.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Summer Vacation '07
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 09:45:13 am »

Very minor necro:

I'm leaving in about fifteen minutes for the airport, and from there I'm flying to California to go see friends and family for a while. I will probably have sporadic 'net access for about a week and a half, but I'll return by the 14th or so.

Whoo, fun!
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Vacation '07
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2007, 03:43:55 pm »

I have spent the morning planning a trip.  It's gonna be great!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Summer Vacation '07
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2007, 05:10:52 pm »

I'm still working on the Chicago plans. We finally booked a hotel. It's the Four Points. Most people who stayed there did not hate it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up