Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Summer Concerts: GOD WHY AM I JOBLESS  (Read 2107 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Summer Concerts: GOD WHY AM I JOBLESS
« on: July 08, 2007, 05:43:01 am »

This is seriously painful. When I lived in AK there was no getting to see concerts.

Now I'm back, but I'm unemployed. Sure, I make light of it and call it "funemployment", but the fact remains that there are a shit ton of my favorite bands playing here in Denver and I'm penniless. After three years of never getting to see a show, I am just shocked at the sheer volume of awesome musicians that are going to be playing here. And Red Rocks is the best summertime venue ever. Dammit.

These are in no particular order. They're just the ones that I gleaned from the latest Westword.
Ryan Adams and Lucinda Williams, Friday August 3rd at Red Rocks.
Lyle Lovett at Red Rocks, Friday 7/13.
My Morning Jacket (they open for Bob Dylan so I'd probably need to sell a kidney to see the show), Red Rocks, July 19 & 20. Then they go play at Telluride. *weeps*
Modest penis, Red Rocks, August 1st.
The Decemberists with the Monolith tour, Red Rocks Sept. 14-15.
The Polyphonic Spree, Red Rocks, July 22nd.
Wilco at the Fillmore Denver, September 1 & 2
Devendra Barhart at the Ogden, Sept. 10
Ani DiFranco, Denver Botanic Gardens at Chatfield Reservoir, July 22nd.
The Arcade Fire, Sept. 17th at Red Rocks.
Jonny Lang at the Fillmore Denver, September 6.

I'm going to go cry now. Those shows would be so much fun to see. And Red Rocks is one of the best venues in the world.



...Okay, enough of my misery. What shows have you party people seen this year??
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Summer Concerts: GOD WHY AM I JOBLESS
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 06:27:32 am »

I am hopefully seeing Slint at the end of the month.

I am kind of in love with this band called Exitbox. it's a couple of guys my age playing really intense hardcore/emo, 80's style. I love it. The guy started fuck*ng with one of his friends in the audience during a guitar solo, so the friend just grabbed his guitar and threw it across the room... then the guitarist just ran over and started kicking it, it was feeding back...
basically I like them a lot.

um, me and my friend Bryan are probably recording a cassette when I go up to see Slint with him. He lives up in Chapel Hill. We have written a few horrible simplistic songs, it is fun.

um, I wanted to see Wilco, but tickets were like 30 dollars. So.
I don't know. Not really any good bands coming to Charlotte. I will see some exciting ones once I get back to St Louis, I hope.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Concerts: GOD WHY AM I JOBLESS
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 06:44:31 am »

Daft Punk is coming to Red Rocks as well.  You may or may not like them, but, now that you are in civilization, you tube will show you why you should see them.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Concerts: GOD WHY AM I JOBLESS
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 02:37:33 pm »

Where did you get the Devendra Banhart date? His site lists 9-10 as a festival in the UK. I was all excited that he was coming back to the US. I had tickets to see him as Sonar in Baltimore on his last tour but he canceled because a member of the opening act was sick. Man, I'm sure they were probably good and all but FUCK the opening act! That gives you an opportunity to play longer!

But I feel your pain. I wanted to see Bob Dylan pretty badly but face value for tickets in Hershey were like $90 or some BS. And Morrissey tickets here were $75. I mean, I love the shit out of Morrissey and all, but I just saw him a few years ago for like $30. What warrrented more than doubling the price of your tickets man? Still bitter about the other members of The Smiths taking some of your loot and you wanted to rub it in? But he ended up canceling last week because of a throat infection. So I didn't have to be upset about not seeing him.

Anyway, enough negativity. Camera Obscura are playing here in August and tickets are only $15! Hooray for goood, reasonably priced music!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 02:43:46 pm by Mr Trout »
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Summer Concerts: GOD WHY AM I JOBLESS
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 02:45:31 pm »

I've missed so many fuck*ng shows due to being at work when the bands come through. I have missed or will be missing basically all of the aforementioned bands plus Les Claypool (he just played Portland).

The Decembrists play Portland all the time since they're from there - I could basically see them at the opening of a Wendy's or something. That Dylan show might be interesting - maybe I should make a road trip for it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Concerts: GOD WHY AM I JOBLESS
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 06:54:43 pm »

Kilgore, The info I got is here.
Oops, I misspelled his name with an 'r' instead of 'n'.

Devendra Banhart
Mon., September 10
Ogden Theatre
935 E. Colfax Ave.
Denver, CO 80218

Keith, didn't Daft Punk do "Busy Child"? They're pretty good.

Nabu, I am a fan of MMJ but I only have 2 of their albums. I didn't realize that the Decemberists were from Portland.

I guess I can take comfort in the knowledge that I was still in Alaska the last time Son Volt came to town. Same with Robert Earl Keen. My other favorite show that I got to see back in 2003ish was Common, Erykah Badu, and Jurassic 5 at Red Rocks.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Concerts: GOD WHY AM I JOBLESS
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 07:22:07 pm »

Busy Child was The Crystal Method. Daft Punk may also has a song with that name but CM's got gobs of radio play in the 90s.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Summer Concerts: GOD WHY AM I JOBLESS
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 08:38:14 pm »

I'm seeing Sonic Youth perform their "Daydream Nation" album in its entirety this Friday in Chicago's Union Park.

I have an extra ticket if anyone wants to go.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Concerts: GOD WHY AM I JOBLESS
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 09:22:52 pm »

I'm seeing Sonic Youth perform their "Daydream Nation" album in its entirety this Friday in Chicago's Union Park.

I have an extra ticket if anyone wants to go.

*sigh* I'll be there in spirit, dahlink. Even if I had the miles to fly to Chi-town, I'd still have to find someone to look after the little boys while I'm gone. (to uninformed readers, the boys are Milan and Lennybruce, my Scottish Fold cats).
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Concerts: GOD WHY AM I JOBLESS
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 09:44:06 pm »

I'm seeing Sonic Youth perform their "Daydream Nation" album in its entirety this Friday in Chicago's Union Park.

I have an extra ticket if anyone wants to go.




Oh God I wish I was in Chicago.


Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Summer Concerts: GOD WHY AM I JOBLESS
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 10:15:34 pm »

When I got this airline gig back in 2000, I was terribly excited about the chance to fly places to see awesome concerts, and to make day trips to see baseball games. Seven years later, I have flown to see exactly zero concerts and zero games.

The last concert I went to was probably five years ago. Sigh.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Summer Concerts: GOD WHY AM I JOBLESS
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 07:03:12 am »

Jough-- a shit-ton of my friends will be there. Including one who said "so, do you know about this Pitchfork thing? Greg had an extra ticket and told me I should come. Don't you like Sonic... sonic something?"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Summer Concerts: GOD WHY AM I JOBLESS
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 02:37:57 am »

Inev: you should totally come down.  Chicago rocks and Sonic Youth = teh awesome.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Summer Concerts: GOD WHY AM I JOBLESS
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 05:03:18 am »

yeah, except, I am in Charlotte for the summer. Otherwise: yes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1]   Go Up