Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wow...  (Read 5688 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Wow...
« on: October 11, 2003, 02:37:28 am »

Just watched Donnie Darko, after many recommendations, including my brothers flatmate saying he couldn't decide if it, or Fight Club took movie of that year.
And I can safely say it's a superb film.
I started off with expectations high, but no idea what it was going to be like, and throughout I got more and more engrossed. Literally it just grabbed me more all the way through.
I don't really know what to say, except it's kind of twisted, dark, funny, thoughtful and well worth it!
I definitely think it may have just taken a place on my top ten most enjoyable films of all time.

It almost has an air of American Beauty about it, just something I sensed in it, but it's way better (much as I loved American Beauty  -what with Kevin Spacey being great).
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Wow...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2003, 03:35:03 am »

Donnie Darko is on my short list of movies to rent soon.  I finally got Memento and regretted I hadn't seen it sooner.  My movie time is limited, so I like to make sure I'm watching something worthwhile.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Wow...
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 12:46:25 am »

Good for you... count me among that movie's obcessive fans.  Glad to see it's found an audience outside of teenage stoners.
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Wow...
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 01:24:21 am »

I haven't seen it yet, mostly because those who recommended it to me were obsessive stoners.

So it's worth a go?  I'll have to add it to my NetFlix cue.

pubdoggy

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 89
  • R. Smuckles publicity shot c. 2002
    • View Profile
    • Simon Whitehead Photography
Wow...
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 09:50:44 am »

It truly is a sensational movie. Absolutely first rate. The website is incredibly fantastic also (if you persevere and get all the passwords - you'll need an hour of down time). I've had many a long discussion with friends about the films meaning and so on, such is the depth of issues it touches on.

I honestly can't recommend it highly enough - great soundtrack, too!
Logged
Satori must be something just the same...

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Wow...
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 12:25:06 pm »

I saw that the poster one-sheet had some kind of freaky rabbit on it and I was expecting some weird puppet-inspired horror, so I stayed away.

Does anyone know of a film called "The Dark Backward"?  It's one of my favourites but I can never recommend it to anyone because it tends to freak people out - even those not so easily freaked.

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
Wow...
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2003, 01:34:36 pm »

Jodorowsky's Fando and Lis. Looks like it was filmed on another planet. Spellbinding in the "somebody done put the whammy on me" sense.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Wow...
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2003, 01:47:31 pm »

We own the DVD, and I love the "director's"commentary on the Infomercial.  Fighting over donuts.

The movie itself is great.  Very angst-y.  A nice mix of Todd Solenze style dark humour with drama.  If you like Darko then "Welcome to the Dollhouse" should be on your list of movies to see, and also "Happiness."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Wow...
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2003, 05:52:55 pm »

Was Darko a Solondz film?  I'm pretty sure Todd Solondz did not write or direct Donnie Darko.

I guess if I weren't so busy/lazy I could go to IMDB to check that out.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Wow...
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2003, 06:08:24 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Was Darko a Solondz film?  I'm pretty sure Todd Solondz did not write or direct Donnie Darko.

I guess if I weren't so busy/lazy I could go to IMDB to check that out.


No, it was a debut by Richard Kelly (written/directed) and exececuted for around $4m, which I find extraordinary for the end product.
The benefit was most of the people who ended up working on it did it for free!
I'm looking forward to his next film - Knowing. Not due out til next year though.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Wow...
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2003, 01:06:25 pm »

I didn't mean that Darko was by Todd Solondz, but that they style of Kelly's writting is a lot like his.

This was Kelly's first film after all.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Wow...
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2003, 03:41:02 am »

I think Richard Kelly's now working on a film of "Cat's Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut, and I'm very excited by that, being a fan of them both.
Logged
goose means greedy

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Wow...
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2003, 03:48:45 am »

That is terrific.  Cat's Cradle is my single favorite Vonnegut book.

See the Cat?
See the Cradle?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Wow...
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2003, 04:21:57 am »

and the silver spoon?

Little Boy Blue and the Man on the Moon?

When you comin' home, son?

I don't know when.

We'll get together then (yeah)

You know we'll have a good time then...

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Wow...
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2003, 10:57:26 am »

He's not though.
Sorry.
He's working on a film called Knowing, about a, person, who finds a time capsule in a school, and it somehow then gets slightly weird.
Check the IMDB synopsis for more info.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up