Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lego Desk  (Read 4676 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Lego Desk
« on: July 08, 2007, 03:02:35 pm »

I want this guy's job.

I apologize if you've all seen this before.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Lego Desk
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 03:15:20 pm »

Fascinating that someone would stipulate such a thing in a contract. 

At my one theatre job, I make contracts for other artists to sign on a regular basis, and I occasionally slip in an odd stipulation to see if the other person is actually reading what they are signing.  Indeed they are not. The same artist has agreed to provide me with back masages on demand and come up with a dozen Haiku's honouring me.  He is clearly not aware of this, but perhaps I will one day hold him to it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Lego Desk
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 06:57:38 pm »

Fascinating that someone would stipulate such a thing in a contract. 

At my one theatre job, I make contracts for other artists to sign on a regular basis, and I occasionally slip in an odd stipulation to see if the other person is actually reading what they are signing.  Indeed they are not. The same artist has agreed to provide me with back masages on demand and come up with a dozen Haiku's honouring me.  He is clearly not aware of this, but perhaps I will one day hold him to it.

Heh, smells...you rock so hard. CAN'D.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Lego Desk
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 07:55:55 pm »

I also contracted someone to "bring the funny" but he was teaching an improv class, and he did meet this demand. 

I also contracted a lady to do an intro to performance workshop, her contract stipulating that she was to "show them the ropes!" and she said she seriously considered bringing a bag of ropes with her and just pointing at them.  "There they are.  The ropes.  Enjoy." 

The artist who works for me who I mentioned in the last post has an ethnic first name that rhymes with "cock."  Since I already new from past contracts that he wasn't reading the contracts I made for him, I once made him a contract to "rock out with his (first name) out," but then came to my senses, remembered I was contracting him to make puppets with Gr.2's, shredded the contract and started again.  I told him about it later, and he said he might get a t-shirt made with this on it, but just not wear it at the children's theatre.  "You should.  You should do that.  You do rock out after all."  "Cool.  Will you make it for me?"  "What?  No!  How much do you think I make here?"

It is all part of my denial that I am anybody's boss.  That is what it is.  I do not need therapy to see that.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Lego Desk
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 08:44:30 pm »

Whoa, good timing, I just went back and looked at a contract I am about to sign... no haiku or massages, it turns out, but I'm glad I checked.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Lego Desk
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 09:06:35 pm »

LEGO

DESK.

What the HELL, people?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Lego Desk
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 09:46:36 pm »

LEGO

DESK.

What the HELL, people?

I thought the desk was cool.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Lego Desk
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 10:47:35 pm »

I thought the desk was cool.

Thank you.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Lego Desk
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 11:51:43 pm »

I just have to wonder who this guy was, that he not only got this in his contract (although that could have just been ignorance) but that it actually got done. Whose balls did the eventual owner of that desk have in a vise?
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Lego Desk
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 01:56:37 am »

This is my favorite part:

Quote from: Eric Harshbarger, the Lego guy
Here are some facts about The Desk:
 
Yes, the top is bumpy -- studs up. I offered to make the top smooth, but the client specifically requested otherwise. Whatever.

Well of course he wanted the studs up. He wants to be able to build houses when he's at work.



Edit: also, Lego dude might want to talk to someone about this.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 02:41:52 am by Nabubrush drinks (a lot) »
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Lego Desk
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 03:06:42 am »

This is my favorite part:

Well of course he wanted the studs up. He wants to be able to build houses when he's at work.



Edit: also, Lego dude might want to talk to someone about this.

Jesus Christ, dude. There are easier ways to make $9.82 over the course of two years.
Does the guy have a PDA where he tracks this shit? Damn.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Lego Desk
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 07:24:18 am »

Keeping track of the coins doesn't seem too crazy for me, but he notes down the *time*. I'm kind of suprised it isn't to the second or something similarly obsessive.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Lego Desk
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 07:47:19 am »

Hah, the funniest thing about that (to me) was I glanced down the list and thought, "Oh, weird, another Mama Goldberg's.  I haven't thought of that place since college.  I wonder where this one is?"

And it's not another one.

Fun fact: I know how to pronounce "Debardeleben."

Wow I Feel Old Fact: When I was in school, there were no Starbucks in the area.

EDIT: Kind of Creepy Coincidence Fact: One of the people in this guy's links page was best man at my sister's wedding.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 07:57:39 am by Lister »
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Lego Desk
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 06:46:15 pm »

If I ever get a lego desk, I sure as hell don't want it glued together.  I mean, using pieces of it to make other things would be half the fun.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Lego Desk
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 07:50:02 pm »

We used to build habitats for our gerbils out of Legos*. This is frought with negative consequences, and I cannot recommend it.

Fuck calling them LegoŽ bricks.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up