Look, I understand being non-judgemental and I understand the joy of playing the devil's advocate to a person's point of view, especially mine, but...
Certainly, you've BEEN in a MacDonalds. Certainly, you've SEEN how the employees are generally treated by the customers and by each other in a MacDonalds.
As much as it would probably make me sleep better at night to believe that there are people in the world who could find that life fulfilling and, hence, I didn't have to feel completely guilty when interacting with people stuck in humiliating positions like that just to get by... no. Like, no.
All being spat upon by obese children for not having the right Happy Meal toy that week. Humans weren't designed for that. Sure, we can rationalize that, we can tolerate that, we can adapt to it while we die a little inside as the equal and opposite reaction to that adaptation but, like, no. No.
It sounds like prison. It sounds like hell. Especially that tiny detail of "oh, someone remembered he went to a baseball game once, let's get him a team jacket and pretend that means we know him in a meaningful way, somehow". Oh man, I wanna jump in a time machine and give him his life back.
And, yeah, of course I'm projecting. The totality of being a human amoungst other humans is an act of projection. That doesn't invalidate my feelings for the guy.