I guess what I'm trying to say is that...
It is sad that the dude's life was limited to that, that quiet desperation. Not that he was a bad person for it... but my pity and my empathy for the guy is boundless, I wish the world didn't work in a manner that could make a man flip burgers 250 days a year in one place for the lionshare of a life and...
Then, at the end of it all, that's all he's ever seen and he's a four-paragraph human interest story .
I wish this man could'a seen the world.
Dignity of a day's work, different strokes for different folks, you can say alla that and you have your points but this dude, there was a world out there and that was what fate gave the dude. It's heartbreaking.
There are worse things in the world to project, I would imagine, than self-pity.
Is the actual sane response to "a man flipped burgers for fifty years straight" "well, he must've had a good time because he just kept doing it!"? I'm sorry, I don't buy that as the sane response.
"What an awful world it is forced him to spend his life flipping burgers" probably isn't the sanest response either but I have to think it's more productive than going the other way and just.... projecting monk-like dignity onto his life of petty servitude, either.
That answer sounds more like an attempt to maintain status-quo than some kind of "live and let live" thing.
It seems like a tidy way to resolve an entirely unjust system of living. At least frantic over-identification isn't just a shrug, "oh fifty years of doing a needed task I don't want to do, glad he did it, hope he liked it", man, that ain't a valediction I'd wish on a rabid dog.
Yes, it's all projection, everything's projection.
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is doubtlessly projection, "love thy neighbor" is certainly projection, "desire is suffering" is probably right up there with it all. So is greedy people reading greed into others to justify their greed and so nobody has any medicine. So is people who can't fully believe in God so they wage war on people with other gods that it might talk them into believing themselves.
The ringworm thing you guys were talking about in that other thread. All of it.
Knee-jerk compassion might be crazy but the instant creation of a tight reality-preserving narrative where he REALLY REALLY LIKED having people curse him out for not omitting pickles for the balance of his adult life, man, that's at least as crazy and probably at least a little bit more counterproductive.
I wish that all the energy we put into justifying things as they are, creating inequalities to protect ourselves from other inequalities, creating wars to protect us into other wars, I wish we'd put that energy instead into helping people like this dude see a little bit more of the world before he shuffles off to the grave.
And sure, I hope that people wish me the same, hell yes, who wouldn't?
And sure, it's probably not completely emotionally healthy to feel that way.
But I just wanna swoop down like a motherfuck*ng angel of light into this man's past and I wanna give him a suitcase and I want him to cover it with travel labels from Italy and Baghdad and Samarkand...
And just because that's impossible doesn't mean it's wrong.
I... guess that's what I was trying to say.