Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Liebot, what is the saddest thing?  (Read 31332 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Liebot, what is the saddest thing?
« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2011, 08:09:07 pm »

Right now I am in a contest of wills over laundry. See, my clothes go in the laundry right side out and ready to fold and wear, I take care of that when I take them off. Since I provide help and guidance to the youngest one, so do his. I've advised the oldest boy to take the time to do the same, but he doesn't. So for a month now he's been getting them back, clean and folded, just like he gives them to me. I'm sure he decided not to let me 'win' and start doing it before hand and just squares them away and refolds them before putting them away, but I had to make an executive decision that I don't care. If he wants to do more work and I don't have to...fine.

I had to read this a few times before I figured out what the problem is. It's that you think that clothes shouldn't be inside-out when they are folded and put away?

I put away inside-out clothes all the time. You can put them rightside out when you put them on. It's not like it's more or less effort depending on when you do it. I've only stopped doing it recently for t-shirts because I ended up with so many t-shirts the same color that I couldn't tell them apart inside-out. But otherwise, you can live a fairly productive adult life with a closet full of clothes which are half inside out.

Also, I am pretty sure that sometimes I put clothes in the laundry that are the right way round and the laundry turns them inside out. That never happens to you?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Liebot, what is the saddest thing?
« Reply #166 on: May 25, 2011, 08:20:28 pm »

yeah, I turn them right-side-out when I am folding/putting them away.

When I came home from college my sophomore year, my mom was AMAZED AND ASTONISHED that I knew how to do my laundry. Did she think I was just wearing the same clothes over and over?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Liebot, what is the saddest thing?
« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2011, 08:41:31 pm »

My 31 year old spouse doesn't do his own laundry because if he did, the machine would never be free for me to use. He has teenager-like tendencies to leave stuff in the washer or dryer for days on end.

We did recently subdivide laundry responsibilities, though -- I sort, wash, and dry, and he folds and puts away.

I recognize that it doesn't actually cause any harm for laundry to go in the drawer inside-out, but...I can't do it. It's too hard on my delicate sensibilities. I take a devil-may-care attitude on a lot of things, but that's where I draw the line.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Liebot, what is the saddest thing?
« Reply #168 on: May 25, 2011, 09:04:04 pm »

Also, I am pretty sure that sometimes I put clothes in the laundry that are the right way round and the laundry turns them inside out. That never happens to you?
I insist that this is true, but my wife refuses to believe.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Liebot, what is the saddest thing?
« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2011, 09:15:25 pm »

I insist that this is true, but my wife refuses to believe.

I swear I read somewhere that this happens because, like, inside-out is the natural position for an article of clothing - after all, when you are making it, that's how it is. So when it's roughed up by the washing machine it's easy for it to end up back in that position.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Liebot, what is the saddest thing?
« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2011, 10:41:53 pm »

i was doing family laundry when i was between 10 and 12.  also, hanging that shit up on a clothesline.  asherdan 2* doesnt have it so bad as it is.

*he's your first, right?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Liebot, what is the saddest thing?
« Reply #171 on: May 25, 2011, 11:55:28 pm »

My mom put me in charge of my own clothes somewhere in the 12 - 14 range. My bedsheets and all the rest, too. Of course, I don't have kids so I can't speak to it, not really. Some clothes turn inside out, but it's maybe a 5% thing? However, if you leave the socks wadded into a ball, you aren't going to be happy with the result.

If you leave a young man in charge of his own laundry and don't ride a little bit of herd on him at the start, there's the bare possibility that scabies/mildew will result.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Liebot, what is the saddest thing?
« Reply #172 on: May 26, 2011, 02:04:25 am »

My mom was of the mind that we should know how to do it, so she made us/asked us to do the occasional load, but she found it easier to do it herself the bulk of the time because she could not abide having it done half-assed (as teens are wont to do). I guess I'm basically the same way. But also, it doesn't seem fair to ask Pedro to do his own since I'm here with the laundry machines all day and it doesn't take much effort to throw in a load before lunch, then toss it in the dryer after I get the girl from school.

Boyface and Girlface actually like to help sort the clothes, and are getting to an age where they can do that fairly effectively if I give them specific parameters. And of course putting stuff on the clothesline is fun and exciting, too.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Liebot, what is the saddest thing?
« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2011, 03:46:46 am »

Everybody does everybody's around here.  Loads are pretty much constantly running, it seems like.

I started having to help with laundry at around 12 or so.  I used to have to iron sheets!  Not something that happens around here anymore.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Liebot, what is the saddest thing?
« Reply #174 on: May 26, 2011, 08:04:15 am »

My house there was a dirty clothes basket that everything went into, generally mum would sort and wash it, hanging out duties were randomly allocated according to proximity to a full washing machine and then they were dumped on a bed in the spare room and people grabbed what was theirs as they needed it/when dad came into their room and told them to get their damn clothes out of the spare room.
Now I live on my own I do one load a week (actually more like once a week and two days, I've noticed my washing day keeps shifting through the week until suddenly I'll need to do two small loads in one week to reset it), everything goes in there and whites I care about get a soak once every month or two depending on how bad they are and how much I care about them (work shirts should be bright and crisp, gym shirts having filth on them from the bar bell is a badge of honour.

I usually will right side a shirt before I wash it but I won't always unroll the sleeves.

I have suit ##### that are getting faded because I wear and wash them way more often than I wear the matching jacket, would hanging them out inside out slow this process? It seems like it should.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Liebot, what is the saddest thing?
« Reply #175 on: May 26, 2011, 08:08:53 am »

No, I don't think so, but washing them inside out might.  That is what you do with nice jeans anyway.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Liebot, what is the saddest thing?
« Reply #176 on: May 26, 2011, 03:45:52 pm »

. And of course putting stuff on the clothesline is fun and exciting, too.
I remember enjoying line-dried clothes.  I was too small to help much with getting them up, but I liked the way they smelled and felt once we took them down (and hiding from imaginary Bad Guys in the drying-sheets maze).
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Liebot, what is the saddest thing?
« Reply #177 on: May 26, 2011, 03:48:44 pm »

I don't actually wear jeans unless it is somehow work related.  I am more of a brown pant guy myself.  I just know what yer supposed to do.

The only pair of jeans I have bought in the last 10 years cost $4 and had bleach stains on them within a week.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Liebot, what is the saddest thing?
« Reply #178 on: May 26, 2011, 04:26:53 pm »

I am slowly ruining my favorite pair of jeans through over-use/over-washing. I am pretty mad about this.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Liebot, what is the saddest thing?
« Reply #179 on: May 26, 2011, 05:24:02 pm »

I am mostly mad because they are also my newest pair of jeans. I am probably doing something dumb to make them wear out this way. Like washing them right-side-out. They are just starting to get a vaguely fuzzy look.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up