Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Underappreciated Videogames  (Read 24772 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2007, 11:48:45 pm »

Master of Orion II.  Anything with Tim Schaefer involved (Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Psychonauts).
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2007, 12:52:23 am »

master of orion-- awesome.

going back and playing old videogames has made me remember that... I basically suck at video games. On many levels.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2007, 02:02:55 am »

Seconding Grim Fandango and Psychonauts (awesome). I still haven't played Full Throttle, but I'm sure it's great. Also, all 3 Discworld games are up for download at Home of the Underdogs. I think they may even have the voice packs.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2007, 03:07:28 am »

If we're going to nominate old-school adventure games, can I suggest Loom? That game was damn fun to fail at as a giant group, back in my college days. We, as an entire group of about a dozen highly intelligent 20-year-olds, had to download a walkthrough to get past the twisty wind and the first island.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2007, 04:53:35 am »

It is because of Loom that I habitually whistle or hum E-C-E-D quietly before the elevator opens.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2007, 07:20:19 am »

Yeah Grim Fandango and Psychonaughts definitely (though I've only played the demo of the latter it grips me with intensity and I'll surely buy it off steam one of these days).

Deus Ex though, I don't think you can argue for that being under-rated. Among relatively hardcore gamers it's recognised as one of the best fps's ever.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2007, 03:18:21 pm »

Mafia is probably a better gangster simulation than the officially licensed Godfather game. I'm not sure if it really qualifies as under-appreciated, but I don't know many people who have played it. The PC version is probably the best and easiest to find, I have not heard good things about the console ports.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2007, 08:06:50 pm »

Anyone ever get the Gutsy Bat?

Nope. It didn't help that the guide that came with the game told you the wrong place to get the bat to begin with.

Mario's Picross was fun. I've found some good Picross games online but they tend to be way harder and require more guessing.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2007, 02:07:34 am »

I have a copy of Mafia, and I had high hopes for it. I never could get it off the ground. I remember a console game for the original Nintendo (I believe) in which you were a knight battling other knights, and there was some jousting, and I think there may have been a significant strategy component. I can never remember the name of that game, but it was a kick in the #####.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2007, 03:40:05 am »

I have a copy of Mafia, and I had high hopes for it. I never could get it off the ground. I remember a console game for the original Nintendo (I believe) in which you were a knight battling other knights, and there was some jousting, and I think there may have been a significant strategy component. I can never remember the name of that game, but it was a kick in the ******.

So I'm assuming you didn't like Mafia much? Also, did this game about knights involve ostriches in any way (sorry, couldn't resist)?
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2007, 04:22:47 am »

I always wanted Mafia back when it was semi-new. I always knew, though, that it seemed like it would be hard.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2007, 07:15:49 pm »

the marathon series was always underloved.

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2007, 08:37:26 pm »

the marathon series was always underloved.



I rocked Marathon so hard when I first got my PowerPC 7?00 (can't remember the number). I loved the hell out of that game. Trust Ark to bring it up - good call!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2007, 09:05:39 pm »

I rocked Marathon so hard when I first got my PowerPC 7?00 (can't remember the number). I loved the hell out of that game. Trust Ark to bring it up - good call!

there's a pc port floating around.

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2007, 09:16:39 pm »

source.bungie.org
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up