Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Underappreciated Videogames  (Read 24769 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2007, 05:29:26 pm »

I think this was done somewhere else but I didn't have an internet connected wii at that point so, yes, this is a good plan nDed.
I'm: 3168 7461 1902 4606

Couldn't they have formatted that a little differently? Seriously, I glanced at that and thought OH FUCK SOMEONE'S GOT THEIR CREDIT CARD OUT THERE.
Logged

troublecat

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2007, 09:07:41 pm »

Harvest Moon.

I know, I know.

There's a bajillion sequels to it, so it can't be *that* underappreciated, but everyone I ask about it seems to hate it.

I think there's something to be said about a game where you start playing, and think, "This has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever played;" then you look up, and eight hours have gone by in what seems to be an instant, all while you've been taking care of your little farm and trying to woo the pink-haired girl.
Logged
"I'm not supposed to eat Twiglets."
"Why not?"
"They make me violent."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2007, 09:49:37 pm »

We could all learn a lot from the judicious and discerning way troublecat chooses to post.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2007, 06:51:21 pm »

True. You can't beat that 2:1 post to tiny can ratio.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2007, 08:05:11 pm »

well, it certainly beats my (simplify simplify)

35:1643 Cans:posts ratio. (damn, that is one tough ratio.)

man, maybe I can take a lesson from this.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2007, 08:17:50 pm »

well, it certainly beats my (simplify simplify)

35:1643 Cans:posts ratio. (damn, that is one tough ratio.)

man, maybe I can take a lesson from this.

the lesson is: the cans dont mean anything
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2007, 09:25:14 pm »

the lesson is: the cans dont mean anything

You get a can for that sir.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2007, 05:30:43 am »

Harvest Moon.

I know, I know.

There's a bajillion sequels to it, so it can't be *that* underappreciated, but everyone I ask about it seems to hate it.

I think there's something to be said about a game where you start playing, and think, "This has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever played;" then you look up, and eight hours have gone by in what seems to be an instant, all while you've been taking care of your little farm and trying to woo the pink-haired girl.

Oh man, what platform did you play Harvest Moon on?  I played it on our game cube until it just seemed that nothing was happening, then gave up... does your kid ever grow up?  Get married?  I wanted to know, but just wasn't willing to invest the time.  I put so much time into milking cows and bringing the chickens in and out.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2007, 07:23:20 pm »

I put so much time into milking cows and bringing the chickens in and out.

And watering.  Don't forget watering.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2007, 08:38:34 pm »

I cut the heck out of some hay. 
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2007, 10:02:46 pm »

Harvest Moon.

I know, I know.

There's a bajillion sequels to it, so it can't be *that* underappreciated, but everyone I ask about it seems to hate it.

I think there's something to be said about a game where you start playing, and think, "This has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever played;" then you look up, and eight hours have gone by in what seems to be an instant, all while you've been taking care of your little farm and trying to woo the pink-haired girl.

I am a Harvest Moon fan but I kind of get a little too much into it. I've played most of the console variations but not so much ever since I was playing HM: A Wonderful Life and realized I was spending time each game-day just standing in the virtual house, watching my little virtual dude's virtual wife sleep in the morning light. It depressed the hell out of me and I haven't played much Harvest Moon since. (Although I have Magical Melody and what I've played of it was pretty good.)
Logged

troublecat

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2007, 10:06:48 pm »

Oh man, what platform did you play Harvest Moon on?  I played it on our game cube until it just seemed that nothing was happening, then gave up... does your kid ever grow up?  Get married?  I wanted to know, but just wasn't willing to invest the time.  I put so much time into milking cows and bringing the chickens in and out.

I have two GameCube versions (A Wonderful Life and Another Wonderful Life), but I haven't played them yet.  I've played it on SNES and GBA (Friends of Mineral Town), and both of those versions allow you to get married and have kids (they stay small on the SNES version, but they grow up a little bit in the GBA version).  The main character, as far as I can tell, doesn't seem to age any.  I could just be unobservant, though.
Logged
"I'm not supposed to eat Twiglets."
"Why not?"
"They make me violent."

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2007, 10:17:27 pm »

I have two GameCube versions (A Wonderful Life and Another Wonderful Life), but I haven't played them yet.  I've played it on SNES and GBA (Friends of Mineral Town), and both of those versions allow you to get married and have kids (they stay small on the SNES version, but they grow up a little bit in the GBA version).  The main character, as far as I can tell, doesn't seem to age any.  I could just be unobservant, though.

In A Wonderful Life, your child will grow to preadolescence or so, I believe. Your main character and supporting cast will also age, although aging will not affect the main character's capabilities. His hair will gradually start to gray (although the game ends before it goes entirely gray), his face will become more lined, and his lucky bandana will become sun-faded as I recall. Other characters his age undergo similar changes, a few of the older characters in town die, and the children in town grow into adolescence.

Most Harvest Moons don't implement this sort of thing, but most of them either end or go into a time-stasis after a few years anyway.
Logged

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2007, 07:30:00 am »

I think this was done somewhere else but I didn't have an internet connected wii at that point so, yes, this is a good plan nDed.
I'm: 3168 7461 1902 4606

Mine is: 4174 3162 0882 1152

Sorry for the slow response, I am currently in the process of "moving." Anyways, does anyone else have a mysterious "???" block in their Wii system memory?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 07:35:24 am by nDed »
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2007, 09:06:42 am »

In A Wonderful Life, your child will grow to preadolescence or so, I believe. Your main character and supporting cast will also age, although aging will not affect the main character's capabilities. His hair will gradually start to gray (although the game ends before it goes entirely gray), his face will become more lined, and his lucky bandana will become sun-faded as I recall. Other characters his age undergo similar changes, a few of the older characters in town die, and the children in town grow into adolescence.

Most Harvest Moons don't implement this sort of thing, but most of them either end or go into a time-stasis after a few years anyway.

Oh god.. see I thought I was working toward getting my son married off, or at least getting him to work on the farm.  Also, the old guy's sweet wife died before I quit playing A Wonderful Life.  I kept giving him his favorite food to cheer him up, but he was mostly depressed.  If things just go on like this, I'm pretty glad I stopped.  I really thought I was working toward something.

Also, yeah... all that hay.  Cuddling and washing the cows was pretty cute though.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up