Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Underappreciated Videogames  (Read 24773 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2007, 02:31:33 pm »

I think the Wii has a pretty decent amount of interesting stuff on the way before the end of the year (Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Zack and Wiki, Endless Ocean, MySims (maybe), Puzzle Quest, Guitar Hero III, Harvest Moon, Trauma Center 2, Metroid Prime 3).  But yeah, it is in a bit of a drought right now.  Still, the console itself is deservedly loved, I would say.  I was skeptical about the controller, and certainly there are a lot of games that don't use it very effectively, but when it's done right it's really spoiled me for traditional controls.  And I'm having fun with the virtual console, the Miis (although at this point the novelty has worn off since I've made pretty much everyone I know (plus I wish they were actually used in games more often)), and even the other channels, which I didn't think I'd have much use for but have ended up spending a surprising amount of time with.

That said, I seem to be the only person in the world who didn't fall in love with Wii Sports.  It's okay, but not deep enough to make me want to come back and keep playing it.  Zelda was fun, but I wasn't really sold on the controller until I played Trauma Center.

Oh, and talking about underappreciated video games -- if anyone hasn't played Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (or its American equivalent Elite Beat Agents) for the DS, you really should.  I don't know if it's underappreciated since all the critics love it, but I haven't encountered many people who have actually played it.
Logged

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2007, 03:16:00 pm »

Don't forget the new NiGHTS game for the Wii, though that's a little further away. But yeah, there haven't been very many Wii games worth buying lately. For the most part publishers just seem to be adding waggle to existing games and putting them out as quickly as possible, though I'm hoping once the rush to get a slice of the fat Wii money cake subsides there will be more thought put into the controls in future games. And I'm still waiting for all the light gun games to show up, which is weird because it would seem to me that that sort of game would be perfect for the Wii.

Lack of Wii games aside, I think the Virtual Console feature is pretty f'ing great. What would make it even better is if they could find a way to get Saturn games to run on the Wii. I'm hankering for some NiGHTS and Guardian Heroes.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »

I agree the Wii doesn't have enough good games but it's the old nintendo problem: Would you buy a 250 dollar system to play Zelda? And I always will.
Though RE4 is brilliant if you've never played it in the original incarnation and there are plenty of games like strikers which I've been told I need to play.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (or its American equivalent Elite Beat Agents) for the DS

This.
I got EBA and even though the songs aren't really to my taste they really grew on me.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2007, 03:31:03 pm »

Though RE4 is brilliant if you've never played it in the original incarnation and there are plenty of games like strikers which I've been told I need to play.

I actually hadn't ever played ANY of the RE games, except for a very brief go at the Gamecube remake of the first one, during which time the controls and the fact that you have to have an item to save frustrated me so much that I gave up.  I finally decided to try RE4 for Wii since everyone was raving about it and how perfect the control scheme was and it was only $30, and I have to admit it's pretty good.  Unfortunately I'm still pretty bad at it and I seem to have got myself stuck at the part where you and what's-his-name try to defend a cabin from hordes of villagers while Ashley hides in a cupboard.

I've been considering Strikers as well, but I'm conflicted about it because I find most sports games so boring.  On the other hand I really liked Mario Tennis -- but even Mario couldn't get me to enjoy golf, so soccer seems like it could go either way.

Quote
I got EBA and even though the songs aren't really to my taste they really grew on me.

Ditto.  I was turned off at first, but it turns out the lameness of the songs doesn't stop them from being fun to play.  That said, I enjoy the songs in Ouendan considerably more.  But some of the note charts (or whatever you call them) are a little more awkward.  I should really get around to importing Ouendan 2.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2007, 03:45:54 pm »

I haven't played Ouendan. I might try to get my hands on 2 but I always shy away from imports because I'm afraid I wouldn't know whats going on. I understand that strikers has only a passing relationship to the 'foots balls'.

The trick to the cabin is to let them bunch up and then loose an incendiary grenade on them.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2007, 07:26:30 pm »

I got to play a little Super Mario Strikers with friends. I don't like "real" sports games but it's pretty fun. I'm not sure how much fun it'd be single-player, though; we had four players at all times.

(Boos are cheap little bastards, incidentally.)
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2007, 02:44:31 am »

The Wii is finally readily available in the Chicago area, and I was thinking of getting one earlier this week when I remembered that I barely have enough time to do the things I already need or want to do.

Still, the thought of playing a new Zelda game is appealing to me...

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2007, 03:05:32 am »

Zelda is truly delicious, but I know what you mean about buying games and then never having time to play them.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2007, 03:08:37 am »

The Wii is finally readily available in the Chicago area, and I was thinking of getting one earlier this week when I remembered that I barely have enough time to do the things I already need or want to do.

Then you're in luck, because most of the current Wii games can be played through in less than an hour!

Oh, but I kid the Wii.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2007, 04:02:29 am »

Also, someone said something about Bioshock being like electronic crack and also being available for the PC on Tuesday?

I may have to get me some of that.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2007, 04:05:52 am »

Having played the demo this is my assumption also.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2007, 11:49:48 am »

Anyone else play castles and conquest? this thread  got me rehooked on hours of 256 color graphics and plots that theme around Alimarch the Magnificent.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2007, 01:50:49 pm »

Bioshock is available on Steam, if you're into that sort of thing. I'd rather have a physical copy, but this game will probably fly off the shelves with all the publicity it's getting. I'm hoping my PC upgrades have not been in vain.

System Shock whuh?
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2007, 02:04:15 pm »

I haven't played Ouendan. I might try to get my hands on 2 but I always shy away from imports because I'm afraid I wouldn't know whats going on.

Ouendan is quite import-friendly.  The menus are easily navigable without knowing any Japanese (the interface is pretty much the same as EBA's, and all the menu options have little icons indicating what they are).  You won't be able to read the text in the little manga cutscenes, but it's pretty easy to figure it out from context (and if not, that only makes it more amusing).  There's also a translation guide available on GameFAQs.

Basically there's no excuse not to get it, is what I'm saying.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2007, 02:36:20 pm »

Bioshock is available on Steam

Yeah I saw this, and normally it would be my purchase method of choice but I don't think my PC will be able to make it looks as pretty as my 360.

Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up