Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Underappreciated Videogames  (Read 24770 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2007, 05:27:56 am »

I am playing a whole lot of Persona 3 right now. Persona 2 definitely counts as a great underappreciated game and even though 3 is very different I enjoy it a whole lot.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2007, 03:09:43 am »

I think the Wii has a pretty decent amount of interesting stuff on the way before the end of the year

Three words:

Guitar.  Hero.  Three. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2007, 05:05:06 am »

Three words:

Guitar.  Hero.  Three. 

Yeah  but the old developers (harmonix) aren't working on it anymore, they sold it to activision and have started a new franchise called rock band. Previews indicate it looks like guitar hero turned up to 11.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2007, 12:00:35 pm »

Since you guys were talking about Harvest Moon a couple of pages back, I wanted to mention that I picked up Rune Factory (the latest incarnation of the Harvest Moon franchise) for the DS a couple of days ago and have quickly become addicted.  The big change is that instead of cows, chickens, sheep, and whatnot, your livestock consists of monsters that you can capture from several different caves.  Each cave also has its own climate, so you can use them to grow crops out of season, if you're willing to fight your way in to water them.  The combination of farming and fighting monsters is a little bit strange, but it kind of works.  It's a nice change of pace when you get bored with the harvesting.

It also has an elaborate intro video with a ridiculous, unintelligible theme song.

The jury's still out, but this may be my favorite Harvest Moon yet.  That said, it takes a certain mentality to enjoy Harvest Moon, and if you're not of that mentality this probably won't change your mind.

Back to the subject at hand: I am eagerly awaiting Guitar Hero III.  I would be eagerly awaiting Rock Band, but we probably won't get a Wii version any time soon, and I'm not really willing to buy another console, especially when both my options come from companies of which I'm not very fond.
Logged

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2007, 02:21:11 pm »

Yeah  but the old developers (harmonix) aren't working on it anymore, they sold it to activision and have started a new franchise called rock band. Previews indicate it looks like guitar hero turned up to 11.

What, Rock Band or GH3? Rock Band is way too expensive for me, and it's for a console I don't even own so that's even more money on top. I'll probably have to talk to three of my friends into pitching in 50 bucks, which might actually be the point.

Uhhh, I once five-starred Jordan on GH2 pretty much on accident.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2007, 02:24:09 pm »

I'm just saying, never having been a Sony gamer, I'm thrilled to pieces that I'm finally going to get a chance to play GH without annoying the staff at Best Buy.  I don't care if it's a low-res re-release of the original game...the fact that it's coming to Wii at all is simply marvelous.   
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2007, 02:32:15 pm »

I'm just saying, never having been a Sony gamer, I'm thrilled to pieces that I'm finally going to get a chance to play GH without annoying the staff at Best Buy.  I don't care if it's a low-res re-release of the original game...the fact that it's coming to Wii at all is simply marvelous.   

I actually wouldn't mind a re-release of the original Guitar Hero for the Wii as long as they fix the hammer-ons, etc. It would be nice if they could figure out downloadable songs for the Wii, but I'm not sure if the internal storage or SD cards could handle it
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2007, 06:35:43 am »

GH is the one they sold, they're working on rock band now.

And I agree, I don't really want to buy rock band, I'm just not sure if Guitar hero 3 will be as good as the previous ones now (I'm another non-sony person who's been hanging out to own it, though I guess I could get a 360 version now if I wanted).
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2007, 02:50:42 pm »

um, all I know is that I really, really, really, really want Mass Effect.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2007, 07:34:47 pm »

I can't wait for the rushed PC port that is about 3 years too late and has horrible performance issues.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2007, 12:13:52 am »

Has anyone mentioned Freedom Force yet? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2007, 04:24:53 am »

Man-Bot = Emo

I was thinking about getting the second one, but apparently some versions have Starforce which is basically like herpes for your computer.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2007, 04:26:20 am »

Played Bioshock today.  Besides the fact that I'm still getting used to the clumsy 360 controller, this game is basically LIQUID JESUS IN A WAFFLECONE.

It's probably not underappreciated, though.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2007, 04:52:26 am »

Played Bioshock today.  Besides the fact that I'm still getting used to the clumsy 360 controller, this game is basically LIQUID JESUS IN A WAFFLECONE.

It's probably not underappreciated, though.

I am tempted to buy it on Steam and put my brother's new GeForce 8800 through its paces. I'm at college right now though, and stuck with a crappy laptop (craptop) until Thanksgiving. I've been thinking about getting a 360 eventually, but I'm a little wary of it because of how often these things apparently get bricked. Are the current models any more stable than the early ones?

Maybe we should make a new thread for popular games, or convert this thread into general video game appreciation.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2007, 05:00:12 am »

I like the concept of Bioshock, but I cannot handle things that are scary.
And I mean, things that would scare a little kid count as scary.

so, yeah.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up