Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Underappreciated Videogames  (Read 24774 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2007, 05:06:16 am »

Played Bioshock today.  Besides the fact that I'm still getting used to the clumsy 360 controller, this game is basically LIQUID JESUS IN A WAFFLECONE.

It's probably not underappreciated, though.
It may not be widely underappreciated, but I sure didn't appreciate it!

I fired up Steam and downloaded the demo today and played it for about 30 minutes.  I was not especially impressed; it felt to me like just another FPS.  An extremely nice-looking FPS, with a somewhat unusual (for an FPS) setting, but an FPS nonetheless.  I will grant that my impression may have been colored to a certain extent by my somewhat-inadequate PC, on which Bioshock ran poorly at worst and just barely acceptably at edit: worst best (d'oh) (probably due to the fact that, according to this thing I stumbled across, it's deep in the no-man's-land between the minimum and recommended requirements), but regardless of whether my assessment of Bioshock as "just another FPS" is fair or not, I ain't droppin' half a Benjamin on a game that runs like crap for me.  (And I don't own an Xbox 360, and even if I did, no way in hell am I playing an FPS with a console controller.)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 05:17:58 am by Dexter »
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2007, 05:14:57 am »

I tried to buy Bioshock at Gamestop today but those motherfuckers were sold out -- unless I reserved a copy! Which I did not. After just the first four minutes of the demo, I knew this game is going to be incredible. Of course, when I went to play my 360 tonight, I see all my friends are playing Bioshock. Fuck those guys.

In the end things weren't so bad, because I downloaded the demo for Skate, which looks absolutely awesome. It's going to be compared to Tony Hawk by everyone and their mother for the simple reason that you ride a skateboard in both games. But the similarities really end there. Skate is about ten times more realistic, with totally different control scheme. I really enjoy it, but then again I'm a skater, and I have an appreciation for the little things like balance and positioning your board in anticipation of a grind. I don't need ten million point combos where you gap from building to goddamned building.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2007, 05:23:45 am »

I like Bonestorm, and Chumscrubber.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2007, 01:53:37 pm »

I liked Ghostmaster.  It was quirky. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2007, 02:06:14 pm »

Okay, so I was playing the beta for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare yeterday when I thought of a SPECTACULARLY AWFUL joke. Here's how it goes:

Quote
Two guys are playing Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Both are on the same team, but one of them blatantly teamkills the other one. The guy who gets killed says, "Hey, man! I'm on your team here! Don't you know the difference between the good guys and the bad guys?!"

The other guy replies, "Ohhh.... I thought we were playing Call of Duty 4: Postmodern Warfare."

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2007, 10:20:45 am »

Now that's comedy, I hope Onstad is taking notes. Cans aplenty for Melack.


I have Bioshock, and a tiny Big Daddy figurine.
Well specifically my flatmate does but since we're playing it on my 360 it's much of a muchness.
So far I find it delicious. I hope this state of affairs continues.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2007, 04:31:21 am »

Dropped by Best Buy today -- BioShock's still sold out. I guess I'll order it from Amazon.  Searching every store in the greater San Francisco area doesn't sound too fun.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2007, 07:59:53 am »

Searching every store in the greater San Francisco area doesn't sound too fun.

That's the first quest.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2007, 05:38:14 pm »

Yeah, you get 10 achievement points just for being able to buy the game the first week.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2007, 07:22:23 pm »

I was offered a free copy of the PC version of Bioshock the day of release, too. That's what makes this whole quest so painful. Sometimes I wish I weren't a Mac guy.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2007, 07:47:55 pm »

Why didn't you just take it?
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2007, 09:11:31 pm »

Because there were three copies to go around the office, and I would have felt like a huge dick if I deprived someone else of an awesome game if I had just taken it and traded it for store credit.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2007, 10:11:22 pm »

You could have sold it to a friend at a discount though. Hell, you could just give it to them and maybe you could hassle them into letting you play it every once in a while.

But yeah, I'm assuming people at your office would know you took one without even owning a PC so that was probably the prudent thing to do. I'm just kind of annoyed that I'll miss the Bioshock bandwagon because I currently don't have access to a PC or a 360.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2007, 10:31:37 pm »

Conversely, you could have taken all three of them, and gave everyone a poke in the eye for good measure. You probably did the right thing.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2007, 04:34:35 am »

I played it for a short period of time and then wussed out. Then I watched this other kid play it for a while. The napalm gun is cool.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up