Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The problem with hangovers...  (Read 7169 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
The problem with hangovers...
« on: July 17, 2007, 12:57:33 pm »

...is that when I have one, I have no motivation to address this problem by doing anything sensible.   Like drinking some water.   

Also, I feel way too old.

Also, a painter is coming to deal with some (unrelated) nicks in the ceiling, so I have to take off last night's clothes and put on new clothes.  He is a painter... do I really care if I'm all mussed up?  No.  Not really.  Maybe last nights clothes will do.

I was planning on visiting an art gallery today, but, maybe... sleep?

Great night on a patio with an old friend though.  It was worth it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The problem with hangovers...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 02:13:36 pm »

The best thing for a hangover is a big ol bowl of pho (aka Vietnamese beef noodle soup).

Tylenol with codeine is pretty good too.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The problem with hangovers...
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 02:44:40 pm »

Hangovers suuuuuuck, but I'm preachin' to the choir here. Usually a cup of yogurt and copious amounts of Gatorade will do the trick. Of course, the best way to pink up after a bender is an IV with a medium drip for about a litre of normal saline or LR, and huffing some oxygen will also make you feel better.

If your stomach can handle actual real food, I recommend about half a pint of Ben & Jerry's or Haagen Daz, or maybe some delicious eggs and home fries. Hangover food is almost always non-healthy, but it sure makes you feel better.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The problem with hangovers...
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 04:40:56 pm »

the whole hangover thing... is such a mystery to me. It seems so random and thoughtless. Some people can drink a ton, and be fine. Others drink a few drinks, and suffer. I don't get it. There are so many "remedies," but I don't even... they all seem to be addressing completely different things?

I will not ruin this thread, or my credibility, by saying whether or not I have ever had a hangover.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The problem with hangovers...
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 05:51:41 pm »

You all know the best thing for a hangover is to get right back on that hoss.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The problem with hangovers...
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 07:05:28 pm »

You all know the best thing for a hangover is to get right back on that hoss.

Hair of the dog....
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The problem with hangovers...
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 09:58:08 pm »

Now you're messing with a son of a bitch.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The problem with hangovers...
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »

Theinev, you know that alcohol is a toxin and not only does it force your liver to work overtime to clear your body, it also dehydrates you like a mofo. The best thing to do before you pass out for the night is to drink a pint or two of some Gatorade (or at least some water), and take a multivitamin.

The next day, all you can do is damage control. It's like having the flu, but worse because you've done it to yourself.

Nabu: Eggs B and a Bloody, dogg.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The problem with hangovers...
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 12:22:44 am »

Inev, just say no.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The problem with hangovers...
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 01:49:58 am »

That one's good. Implemented it on the cruise after a night of ripping german riesling.

Jesus, Ash! That shit packs a hell of a wallop the morning after.  Well, I guess all wine does.

Inev, just say no.

Seconded. Treasure your liver, lest she spurn you and leave for greener pastures. You'd be fucked without her, son.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: The problem with hangovers...
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 02:03:04 am »

The quickest hangover cure I've found is the McDonalds Double Quarter Pounder.  Grease bomb the funk from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

(I'm a little sad that I no longer have that option open to me.  Hangovers scoff at Boca burgers, and they're right to.)
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The problem with hangovers...
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 02:12:45 am »

Sheesh... the last time I had a hangover I posted here too.  That is a thing I do, apparently.

After a nap, two liters of water, some frozen yogurt, flax-tortillas and salsa, a dinner of salmon, spinach and tomatoes a-top pasta, I still feel it a bit, but I'm much better.  I did consider the "hair o' the dog" road, as I'd poured myself a shot that I never drank, which still sat on the counter when I awoke this morning, but my head said "no!" quiet loudly to the idea of putting anything in my mouth until around noon.  I've always wanted to try the Pho cure, but there aren't any places that serve it within walking distance. 

I think maybe it's that I only drink to excess two or three times a year now that causes it to be so bad... lacking the tolerance and all that.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: The problem with hangovers...
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 02:32:20 am »

I had a vicious hangover this past week that was the result of drinking a bit too much Jameson on the last night of a camping trip on the coast. Fortunately, on the way back to civilization we stopped at a greaseball of a diner and I loaded up on the biggest plate of country fried steak and eggs a dude has ever laid eyes on. It was pretty much an instant cure.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The problem with hangovers...
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 06:30:04 pm »

This product: http://www.nohangonline.com/ works like magic, you just have to take it during the drinking and not after the damage has been done. I dont know what it is or how it works, but i swear by it.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: The problem with hangovers...
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 11:12:31 pm »

These days I prevent hangovers by drinking half a beer and then falling asleep. 

Do you think you can defeat my Opossum-Style Drink-Fu?
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up