Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349649 times)

0 Members and 158 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10440 on: October 03, 2011, 05:28:24 pm »

Not really an equal comparison.  Her skipping the concert benefited you.  You skipping the pizza was of no benefit to her. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10441 on: October 03, 2011, 05:37:17 pm »

If her preference is that you should suffer too she is not a good person.

Yeah.  Why not give her the opportunity to be a "good girlfriend" who lets you eat what you want to eat instead of being so emotionally needy that she deprives you of a pleasure you are able to enjoy.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10442 on: October 03, 2011, 05:44:29 pm »

I think this would be different if we lived together. We cook maybe 1 meal together a week. If it weren't for the roommates, it would be simple to just make something she could eat-- the problem occurs when my roommates are cooking/ordering in something that she can't eat.

Last week we made gluten-free pancakes with walnuts and bananas, they were BALLERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Something about her having to fend for herself for food while at my house just really rubs me the wrong way.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10443 on: October 03, 2011, 06:58:27 pm »

Yeah, you don't necessarily have to throw her to the wolves if you eat the pizza.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10444 on: October 04, 2011, 12:11:35 am »

As a person with food allergies, I always appreciate it when my in-laws go the extra mile and are sure to have something I can eat while the rest of the family is chowing down on fried shrimp. When we were first married, my in-laws kept forgetting my shellgiraffe allergy, and we'd show up to the beach condo to stay a few days and, invariably, they'd be serving shrimp that night and didn't have anything else for me to eat. After eating cheerios for dinner the first time it happened, I learned to ask a few hours in advance what the supper plans were so that I could make a grocery run for a frozen pot pie or something if necessary.

I don't mind not having what everyone else is having, as long as I'm not left out of the meal entirely or have to forage my own hot pockets out of the depths of the freezer or something. Now my FIL usually pan-fries me a steak while the shrimp is cooking. It's not a big hassle for him, but just the fact that he remembers and buys me a small filet in advance makes me feel very welcome at the table.

Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10445 on: October 04, 2011, 12:32:31 am »

Well there you go Inev.  Next time the boys come over with pizza you had better have a steak for the Mrs.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10446 on: October 04, 2011, 03:58:15 am »

I'm glad we agree that JL is the arbiter of what is right in this situation.

So, ok, you guys win.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10447 on: October 04, 2011, 02:29:00 pm »

...dye my hair auburn.

October is a great month to dye your hair, because if it comes out wonky, you can just blame Halloween.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10448 on: October 04, 2011, 03:43:34 pm »

Any other month, you'd have to blame it on the Bossa Nova.

The dance of love.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10449 on: October 04, 2011, 04:19:04 pm »

good lord, interviews are horrible. And I am very bad at them.

This one was particularly bad, though, because the guy interviewing me is my supervisor at my internship. He was only half-way listening to my answers, so I couldn't tell when I should stop talking.

(he also fabricated a response from one of my references who hadn't called him back yet?? Ummm...)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10450 on: October 04, 2011, 04:41:33 pm »

yeah, that's what I thought, and then he said that the final decision is made by the woman I would be working under, who will interview me soon.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10451 on: October 04, 2011, 08:12:04 pm »

yep, just got a call saying I am one of the 2 people they are choosing between, and they will get in touch with me tomorrow to arrange an interview.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10452 on: October 04, 2011, 09:27:35 pm »

Ash is absolutely right.

Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10453 on: October 04, 2011, 09:34:49 pm »

Ash is absolutely right.

Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax".

Well you can relax anyway.  You've already psyched yourself out of going to the interview at all.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10454 on: October 05, 2011, 02:23:48 am »

Couldn't have said it better myself, A-Dan.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 878   Go Up