Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348961 times)

0 Members and 213 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10560 on: October 26, 2011, 12:54:52 am »

Partway through that, I thought you were about to say that you were going to sew yourself a new cutting board.

If there were a way to knit myself one, I'd have done it already.

I also had been using repurposed margarine container lids as coasters because I was too cheap to buy them, and I keep saying I'm going to make some hand-knit and felted coasters to match my living room. Then I found some cute chipboard ones on clearance for $0.25 for a pack of 6, so I went ahead and got them because I've moved houses twice and bought a new couch since I started planning to make my own.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10561 on: October 26, 2011, 12:56:47 am »

That was can worthy.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10562 on: October 26, 2011, 03:59:38 pm »

...frugal it up at the grocery store. It is a tight month, money-wise, since Pedro had to have some work done on his car, so with only $50 to last us 'til Monday, I armed myself with my iPhone, a stack of coupons, and the sales flyer and made a meal plan for the next five days based on what I have left in my fridge, freezer, and pantry.

Original total: $75. After sales, discounts, and coupons: $41.15. Hooray, me! Let's just hope neither of us has to put gas in the car.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10563 on: October 26, 2011, 04:55:57 pm »

I was at Harris Teeter on Saturday. If you don't know they started have secret deals for people on their e-mail list and some of them are crazy cheap and one-day-only (like 2-liter sodas for 88-cents). Saturday their system (at least at my store) was messed up leading to some very angry coupon ladies. I, on the other hand, had a $3.99 bag of Snickers ring up at -$.072 because some Country Crock discount was being lumped in for reasons they couldn't figure out. The store kept me there for like 5 minutes trying to fix it then just said "pay what's on the screen and go." So I ended up with 2 bags of Snickers for $1.10
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10564 on: October 26, 2011, 04:57:47 pm »

If there were a way to knit myself one, I'd have done it already.

I also had been using repurposed margarine container lids as coasters because I was too cheap to buy them, and I keep saying I'm going to make some hand-knit and felted coasters to match my living room. Then I found some cute chipboard ones on clearance for $0.25 for a pack of 6, so I went ahead and got them because I've moved houses twice and bought a new couch since I started planning to make my own.
Friend, we are not all buying cars and sushi every night. Coasters are a thing you are allowed to spend money on and not feel bad about. They last forever.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10565 on: October 26, 2011, 05:05:42 pm »

I was at Harris Teeter on Saturday. If you don't know they started have secret deals for people on their e-mail list and some of them are crazy cheap and one-day-only (like 2-liter sodas for 88-cents). Saturday their system (at least at my store) was messed up leading to some very angry coupon ladies. I, on the other hand, had a $3.99 bag of Snickers ring up at -$.072 because some Country Crock discount was being lumped in for reasons they couldn't figure out. The store kept me there for like 5 minutes trying to fix it then just said "pay what's on the screen and go." So I ended up with 2 bags of Snickers for $1.10

Yes, I am on their e-mail list. There is an iPhone app, it is rad.

Friend, we are not all buying cars and sushi every night. Coasters are a thing you are allowed to spend money on and not feel bad about. They last forever.

I did buy them! They have a picture of a '50's looking lady laughing, and the phrase, "Make yourself at home -- clean my kitchen."

How droll.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10566 on: October 26, 2011, 08:18:28 pm »

... get a snow day.  Whoo Whoooooo.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10567 on: October 26, 2011, 11:31:20 pm »

People... use coasters?

Like people not in movies about rich people?

Huh.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10568 on: October 26, 2011, 11:52:10 pm »

People... use coasters?

Like people not in movies about rich people?

Huh.

in your world, only the wealthy care to prolong the quality of their wooden tabletops?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10569 on: October 27, 2011, 12:21:58 am »

I have a lot of hand-me-down furniture that I'd prefer not to refinish just yet. I don't use them in the dining room, or anything, but at the bedside and living room? Yes.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10570 on: October 27, 2011, 02:35:09 am »

Who knew that coasters are an elitist thing?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10571 on: October 27, 2011, 03:11:43 am »

Who knew that coasters are an elitist thing?

i cant tell if he was being sargasmic or not.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10572 on: October 27, 2011, 03:50:12 am »

do you go to bars? Often they give you a coaster with your beer.

I do not use coasters, but I do not really have wooden furniture that isn't from Goodwill.

My girlfriend and her roommate have an ongoing joke that they will have a party at their apartment and make everyone use coasters.
To them this is funny, and I'm not sure why.
To other people it is not funny, because "yeah, that sounds like something they would do. Those girls kind of need to relax."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10573 on: October 27, 2011, 05:47:09 am »

My extremely middle middle class mother in law is a coaster fanatic.  She doesn't say anything, but if your drink has no coaster she will put one under it.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10574 on: October 27, 2011, 06:09:20 am »

I was making fun of my own messy informality, yes.

I understand that coasters are A Thing with most people but, yeah, it is incredibly foreign to my life experience.

There was never a coaster in my family's house as I was growing up and has never been one in a place where I have been a permanent resident.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 878   Go Up