Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711] 712 713 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348953 times)

0 Members and 213 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10650 on: November 09, 2011, 03:28:51 am »

I don't even know who I would ask for a reference at this point. Beyond the professor who loves me.

So apparently I owe the city of St Louis 270$ for property taxes on my car. Is this normal?



I just called into The Best Show on WFMU. Acted like a horrible dork on air. Awesome.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10651 on: November 09, 2011, 04:57:00 am »

yeah, totally moving to someplace with lower taxes IMMEDIATELY.

I wonder how they establish how much I owe them? I officially bought it from my dad for 10$.


And of course I get this on a week where I nearly overdrew my checking account. Luckily I have some savings from a large graduation present. I AM THE 1%.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10652 on: November 09, 2011, 06:36:42 am »

Go take ALL the TP from City Hall.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10653 on: November 09, 2011, 07:45:49 am »

yeah, totally moving to someplace with lower taxes IMMEDIATELY.

I wonder how they establish how much I owe them? I officially bought it from my dad for 10$.


And of course I get this on a week where I nearly overdrew my checking account. Luckily I have some savings from a large graduation present. I AM THE 1%.

Odd. Everywhere I've lived based it on value on bill of sale.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10654 on: November 09, 2011, 12:07:56 pm »

Go take ALL the TP from City Hall.

In my experience municipial buildings only stock one-ply for the (m)asses. Bastards.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10655 on: November 09, 2011, 04:00:45 pm »

In Virginia you pay personal property taxes every year based on blue-book. Cars worth under $25K get a discount and cars worth under $3K are free. Boats, planes, and such have similar taxes.

Also, I know around here you can gift a car to an immediate family member with no taxes at all to avoid the whole "I'm selling it for $1" bullshit that people try to go through.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10656 on: November 09, 2011, 04:46:56 pm »

With bogus bills of sale prevalent, The Man has found, especially in cash strapped locales, that it pays having some flunky to review those that stand out (really, $10 car!?!) and assessing them at a fair market value instead of using your lies.

This is gov't job creation. Make sure you pay that property tax to keep the wheels of industry greased.

Well, of course. I'm not completely sold on mankind's overwelling milk of human kindness. I just thought it was weird Dan's situation played out as it did, given my comment.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10657 on: November 09, 2011, 04:48:00 pm »

Today I am going to take a bath.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10658 on: November 09, 2011, 04:57:19 pm »

yeah, totally moving to someplace with lower taxes IMMEDIATELY.

I wonder how they establish how much I owe them? I officially bought it from my dad for 10$.


And of course I get this on a week where I nearly overdrew my checking account. Luckily I have some savings from a large graduation present. I AM THE 1%.
Has to do with the year and/or maybe the engine size/body style. Many places don't have property taxes on cars, but MO has relatively low license/registration fees at least.

Another thing that Saint Louis has that most places don't have is a city income tax.

We also have relatively low property tax for homes and an awful school system. But the zoos and stuff are free. High five!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 05:54:21 pm by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10659 on: November 09, 2011, 05:45:52 pm »

We have county vehicle tax, it's a percentage of the assessed value, levied annually. It's usually about $50 - 100, depending on the blue book value of the vehicle. So our cars, which are nice but older, usually cost us $65 - 80/yr. That's on top of the $35 title registration fee and the $35 inspection fee, but it's not bad, compared to a lot of places.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10660 on: November 09, 2011, 08:22:48 pm »


I am very excited to go try some of this food. My friend raves about it and has been bugging me for a long time to eat some with him. Also, this section of town is generally very cool. In the middle of a big intersection is a big windmill apparently built by Adolphus Busch (of Anheuser-Busch) back when this land was all his private grounds. It was in decline until tons of Bosnian refugees moved there in the 90s. Awesome.


We had brunch at Bevo Mill a couple years ago.  It was good, but I guess the restaurant is closed now.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10661 on: November 09, 2011, 08:58:15 pm »

So if this tax in addition to the annual registration fee?  We don't have that in Texas.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10662 on: November 10, 2011, 10:29:41 am »

I recently approached HR at my campus about something they thought I was kidding about but I really wasn't. They've been making some space accommodations for the bikers, with some neat areas with lock up boxes and such. I asked them about maybe slopping in a 16'x12' paddock with a hose and I'd supply the bucket and feed bin. It's only 9 miles on hossback and trails into work instead of  19 using the roads and I'd be fine with riding into work each day it wasn't raining instead of driving the car.

They said the nice things about checking into it but they still looked at me like I was growing a third eye out of my forehead.

Darn
Tell them its for religious reasons. I used to do business with a pallet company that was populated by some kind of amish and the ones who didn't want to take a van to work had their hosss tied to the side of the factory.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10663 on: November 10, 2011, 07:07:24 pm »

Please try that, Ash, it is too funny to pass up.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10664 on: November 10, 2011, 07:49:43 pm »

so, I guess my roommates and I are officially forming an LLC for this "put out recordings of our friends' bands" venture. Business-school roommate is taking the business side of this very seriously, even though we all agree that it is basically a hobby, and we hope to break even at best.

I am unhappy with the dumb name we picked for our hobby record label. I guess I only own a 22.6% share, which is about to be diluted anyway. It feels weird to be even thinking about these things.

Business-school roommate already confided to me that third roommate is thinking about this in too much of a DIY, unprofessional way. Trouble is on the horizon for our record label, currently valued at ~250$.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711] 712 713 ... 878   Go Up