Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348946 times)

0 Members and 214 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11160 on: March 21, 2012, 07:21:31 pm »

It is if you were able to put some away for savings.  That's the difference.  If you get back $1000 and were able to meet your expenses all year, you're a chump for the $50 or so in interest you didn't earn.  If you get back $50 and wasted $1000 that you could otherwise have gotten back from Uncle Sam's Interest Free Savings Plan, well then you need to be more disciplined I guess. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11161 on: March 21, 2012, 07:31:19 pm »

Got the federal refund, Pedro's work bonus, and the 401K loan within the past week. All the credit card debt is GONE as soon as the e-checks clear. We already paid off the car. Hooray!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11162 on: March 21, 2012, 07:36:21 pm »

It only takes pissing away $20 a week and you're down a grand at the end of the year :(
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11163 on: March 21, 2012, 09:27:32 pm »

T.I.G...douse my garden with cayenne pepper. The near-constant rain we've had all week washed away the previous application, and the damn squirrel dug up two tender young pea plants. (*sob*) I planted two new ones in their place and I still have a dozen that were undisturbed, but fuck a squirrel.

I also have three large white blooms on my CUNT plants! So excited about that. I'ma have to get some bird netting up in here pretty soon, tho.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11164 on: March 21, 2012, 10:27:49 pm »

Squirrel is delicious from what I've heard.  We talked about this.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11165 on: March 21, 2012, 11:41:29 pm »

Squirrel is delicious from what I've heard.  We talked about this.

those squirrel lobbyists got to you already, eh?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11166 on: March 22, 2012, 02:55:32 am »

I thought we were fuck*ng the squirrel.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11167 on: March 22, 2012, 03:03:20 am »

I thought we were fuck*ng the squirrel.

That squirrel is fucked.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11169 on: March 22, 2012, 09:22:52 pm »

Finally bought a bike. Shit, I am so out of shape. I also kind of ate it trying to get on the bike to test it out. Already, my mind is filled with questions:
-how do these weird gear-shifters work?
-why am I having so much trouble getting onto and off of the bike?
-how am I going to get around while never traveling on major roads where insane STL drivers will kill me?
-why didn't this bike shop sell helmets? Small businesses in this city LOVE not carrying things and forcing me to drive out to Target. WTF guys?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11170 on: March 22, 2012, 09:50:03 pm »

Finally bought a bike. Shit, I am so out of shape. I also kind of ate it trying to get on the bike to test it out. Already, my mind is filled with questions:
-how do these weird gear-shifters work?
-why am I having so much trouble getting onto and off of the bike?
-how am I going to get around while never traveling on major roads where insane STL drivers will kill me?
-why didn't this bike shop sell helmets? Small businesses in this city LOVE not carrying things and forcing me to drive out to Target. WTF guys?

Congrats! I may be able to answer some of those.

 - I have no idea.
 - Because you're scared of it. Or possibly because the seat is an inch too high?
 - You'll travel on main roads and get used to it. Make sure you know the laws about bike traffic in your area (because your fellow drivers won't) and use extra caution at intersections. Invest in reflective patches and/or head- and tail-lamps, those things save lives. Also, Google Maps has a bike route feature now (in beta), but I'm not sure if it is available on the iPhone app. You can sub walking directions most of the time, though.
 - That is fucked up.

Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11171 on: March 22, 2012, 09:59:45 pm »

Do your shifters look like this?  

If they do, (always while pedaling) pushing the brake lever inward makes the derailleur shift to a larger gear.  Pushing the smaller lever will move the derailleur to a smaller gear.   Left hand will operate the front derailleur, AND make it harder to pedal/make you go faster as you move onto larger gears.   Right hand will operate the rear derailleur, and make it EASIER to pedal as you move up to larger gears, and make you go slower.  

Bigger gears in front, smaller gears in back will punish your lactate threshold.  (Sprinting on the flats)
Smaller gears in front, bigger in back will punish your cardio health.  (Climbing a hill)

Don't always push the hardest gear you can manage.   Push a lighter gear, but raise your cadence.    It's better for your joints, and gives you more speed control.   It's easier to accelerate in a lighter gear.

When you're stopping, don't forget to shift down, so that you can start back up in a lighter gear.

(Edit: linkie)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:09:17 pm by Nabubrush »
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11172 on: March 22, 2012, 10:10:06 pm »

What smick said, but sometimes do a crazy hard gear. It'll make you feel like a motor.

Also, don't come here with some kind of geared bullshit.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11173 on: March 22, 2012, 10:28:43 pm »

Smick, those are not the kind I have. I cannot really point out where the shifters are in that picture.

Mine are like this. I'm figuring it out.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11174 on: March 22, 2012, 10:49:38 pm »

Finally bought a bike. Shit, I am so out of shape. I also kind of ate it trying to get on the bike to test it out. Already, my mind is filled with questions:
-how do these weird gear-shifters work?
-why am I having so much trouble getting onto and off of the bike?
-how am I going to get around while never traveling on major roads where insane STL drivers will kill me?
-why didn't this bike shop sell helmets? Small businesses in this city LOVE not carrying things and forcing me to drive out to Target. WTF guys?

1) I'm going to assume since you mentioned paying around ~$10 for the bike you have a steel-framed road bike from the 80's boom. Do you shifters look like this?


Those are down-tube shifters (the diagonal part of your frame is called the down tube. It runs from the head tube [the vertical tube that your stem and forks run through] to your bottom bracket, where your cranks connect to the axle). They take a little getting used to since you have to take your hands off the bars to use them, but the advantage is they are extremely easy to service yourself, and if they are friction shifters (they don't "click" into discreet positions) they are compatible with pretty much any derailer and cassette (the group of gears on your back wheel).

A couple things to remember about shifting:

  • Try to anticipate your down-shift before going up a hill. If you shift under a heavy load (when you are pedaling really hard to get up that hill) your chain will probably skip a gear or several teeth and has a greater chance of coming off completely.
  • Try to avoid the gear combinations that put a lot of strain on the chain, especially the "small front" and "small rear" combination. Because the chain is at more of an angle, this puts more stress on the chain reducing efficiency and wearing the chain out faster.
  • Attempt to keep your cadence in the same general zone. Around 70-90RPM is usually the most efficient, and it will give you a better aerobic workout than a higher gear would.

2) How did you size your bike? If you stand flat-footed over the top-tube you should have about an inch of clearance between it and your crotch. When you are pedaling, your leg should be nearly fully extended. If that checks out you should just practice a bit more, especially if you have a road bike and aren't used to riding that style.

3) Use google map's "bike directions" option. I've used it extensively for the past couple years and it is a really fantastic way to learn which of your city's streets have bike lanes, wide shoulders and to figure out where your off-street trails are.

I'd also urge you to check out your city's bike collective on an open shop day: http://www.bworks.org/bikeworks/
They are an amazing way to learn how to do pretty much all repairs and maintenance on your bike yourself. They tend to specialize in 80's road bikes since there is a huge amount of them in the country, they last forever, and they are simpler to tune and repair than a modern road bike.

Good luck with the bike! There's no better way to feel like a kid again than riding around on a nice sunny day.

Logged
Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 878   Go Up