Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 ... 757 758 [759] 760 761 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1344269 times)

0 Members and 184 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11370 on: April 23, 2012, 09:27:15 pm »

Just attempted chicken-fried steak with milk gravy.

the first thing I have cooked in a long time that was so bad, I took one bite, walked into the kitchen, and threw the entire meal in the trash.

it isn't just that I burnt it a little or something... every aspect of that bite made me want to vomit. WTF did I do wrong?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11371 on: April 23, 2012, 10:23:42 pm »

I shouted, "Wow, Chaos! They're using explosives to make holes in the ground! That's so cool!" And she replied, "Now that's something you don't see every day!"

She's only seen like five things.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11372 on: April 23, 2012, 10:38:19 pm »

I think the meat was really really low quality. It got disgustingly soft and mushy during cooking. The gravy, I know where I went wrong. Didn't start out with enough grease, tried to compensate (more oil), over did it, then tried to fix it by adding more flour... gross.

This recipe said to use Cube Steak, not Beef Bottom Round. The meat fell apart when I dipped it in the milk/egg mixture.

The final straw: I am really bad at frying things. I never have success with anything fried.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11373 on: April 23, 2012, 11:30:50 pm »

She's only seen like five things.

That's the best part of the story.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11374 on: April 23, 2012, 11:41:28 pm »

Also, you only realized it was inedible after you had left the kitchen.  This means you made a big no-no and didn't regularly taste the food while preparing it.  Or if you did taste it, you didn't trust your own judgement.  If you taste as you cook you can either save a dish or realize earlier on that it is shit and save the time and energy of cooking the food to completion.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11375 on: April 24, 2012, 12:44:20 am »

Who wants to taste uncooked cube steak?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11376 on: April 24, 2012, 01:01:25 am »

I never taste things while I am cooking them. Until the point where I am adding a spice and want to know if it is enough.

Also, I don't know what stage it would have been OK to taste at before it was done, as Jaydub says.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11377 on: April 24, 2012, 01:04:17 am »

If it got soft and mushy during cooking, that would be a time to stop and taste it, before serving it.  If it goes to shit, why bother plating it without tasting it?  Likewise, especially when making gravy, I taste it several times through out the process to adjust it and determine how much it needs to be cooked down or thickened.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11378 on: April 24, 2012, 02:07:01 am »

Dan, you're doing it wrong. I'm afraid I'm going to have to pull your card.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11379 on: April 24, 2012, 02:35:06 am »

Who wants to taste uncooked cube steak?

How do you know uncooked cube steak is bad?

Why find out
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11380 on: April 24, 2012, 02:52:40 am »

Pan frying stuff has taken me a long long time to get even the slightest handle on.  What I've learned boils down to:

1) Use more grease/oil;
B) At a lower temperature (medium say 4-5 on my stove);
III) Get the grease/oil hot on high before putting the food in, then drop the temp to medium.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11381 on: April 24, 2012, 02:59:43 pm »

Yeah, getting to know your stove is important. I've traditionally had trouble with stir-fry recipes that say "Heat wok on high heat. Add oil, then garlic, and stir-fry until garlic is golden brown and fragrant, about 1 minute." And I'd do that, and my garlic would burn in about 15 seconds. So either Chinese cookbook authors have a different definition of what "high heat" is, or my stove just gets really damn hot. So I've learned to adjust accordingly.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11382 on: April 24, 2012, 03:34:41 pm »

the knob on my gas burner seems to work like this, based on height of flame as you turn it.

10-- high
9-- high
8-- high
7-- high
6-- medium-high
5-medium-high
4--medium
3--low
2--the flame goes out and gas fills the apartment
1--the flame goes out and gas fills the apartment
0--off

But yeah, frying stuff makes me feel a child. Everything I have cooked in oil like that has come out fucked up. I can stir-fry like a motherfucker, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11383 on: April 24, 2012, 03:40:12 pm »

Yeah, getting to know your stove is important. I've traditionally had trouble with stir-fry recipes that say "Heat wok on high heat. Add oil, then garlic, and stir-fry until garlic is golden brown and fragrant, about 1 minute." And I'd do that, and my garlic would burn in about 15 seconds. So either Chinese cookbook authors have a different definition of what "high heat" is, or my stove just gets really damn hot. So I've learned to adjust accordingly.

I've been in open kitchen restaurants and they put hella amounts of heat under those woks. So your stove must be helaciously hot.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11384 on: April 24, 2012, 03:49:38 pm »

Or the cookbook authors are assuming that home cooks are using weak-ass heating coils and not letting the oil preheat.

My ceramic top doesn't get all that hot, but I've found since I got some good-quality pots and pans (as a no-reason-whatsoever present from my Mom) I don't even have to turn it all the way up to boil water. The first time I made grilled cheese in one of my new skillets, it burned in under a minute even though it was only set on 5. So maybe Carlos has a good range and high-quality, super conductive cookware that recipe writers and editors aren't planning for.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 757 758 [759] 760 761 ... 878   Go Up