Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1341372 times)

0 Members and 167 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12585 on: February 15, 2013, 03:54:26 pm »

TIG see the little one, and get the news that everything is going to be okay.

Maternal love is fiercest love. Welcome to it.

Wow, yesterday Danger Boy said (in his Autie patois), "When I was a toddler, your baby was coming out, and maybe its name would be [Chaos Girl]."

I asked if he remembered when his sister was in my belly, and my belly got really big. He giggled and said yes, but I wasn't sure if I believed him -- he was not quite three when she was born, for pete's sake. So I said, "Do you remember coming to visit me and the baby in the hospital?" He said he did, so I quizzed him: "What toys did we play with on the hospital bed?" He said, "Veggie Tales" and my jaw dropped.

He honestly remembers when his sister was born even though he was barely more than a baby himself. I don't remember anything that happened before I was five, at the very youngest. Is it amazing that he remembers stuff that happened when he was two and a half or three? He wasn't even really talking by then so we didn't know whether he understood what was going on at the time, but apparently he did.

Also, I worked last night so we didn't Valentine, but I don't really care anyway. I did take a box of Star Wars conversation hearts, some homemade Portal 2 Valentines and a sprig of bamboo in a jar over to Pedro's office as a surprise. He called me a traitor and bemoaned not having anything for me, but then while I was at work he busted ass and cleaned up all the clutter and junk that was strewn around our messy bedroom so that we have a nice, tidy, distraction-free place to...uh...sleep. That was the nicest gift I could have hoped for.

Tonight we have a date, which is coincidental to Valentine's day but not specifically in celebration of it. It just so happens that the Parent's Night Out thing we take our kids to once a month fell on today. Every restaurant in town is going to be packed because of the "holiday," though, so we're going to stay in tonight and enjoy our nice clean bedroom.

Enjoy the hell out of it.

I hope this petite 30-something married customer at work doesn't know (does know?) that she is my imaginary valentine.
I have a Thing for women who always seem frazzled. Not to mention the whole "hipster mom" vibe, holy cow.

Good thing I'm not petite, or I might be afraid to meet you for fear that my middle-aged, frazzled, absentmindedness would make your head explode.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12586 on: February 15, 2013, 04:19:27 pm »

Good thing I'm not petite, or I might be afraid to meet you for fear that my middle-aged, frazzled, absentmindedness would make your head explode.

You're not middle-aged either.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12587 on: February 15, 2013, 04:34:16 pm »

Is it amazing that he remembers stuff that happened when he was two and a half or three? He wasn't even really talking by then so we didn't know whether he understood what was going on at the time, but apparently he did.

When my BF's oldest son was just learning to talk I taught him to tent his fingers and malevolently go "Mwah, ha ha!"  Everyone got a real kick out of this, so he would often do it to get a reaction from grown ups back when he was just figuring out words.  Then he got a full lexicon of language and seemed to forget about it.  He'll be starting kindergarten this fall, and when I last visited he said "Hey Auntie Mel, remember (tenting fingers) 'mwah, ha ha!?'"  Even better, my BF told him yesterday that I would be having a baby, and he wants to know how the baby got in there.  She's left it to me to explain.  I've told her I'm going to say I went to Tokyo, Japan, ate a lot of sushi and now there's a baby in my belly.  I don't think he'll buy it, but in this situation, it's not my place to tell the truth.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:22:57 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12588 on: February 15, 2013, 05:56:13 pm »

You're going to frighten him off eating sushi!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12589 on: February 15, 2013, 06:31:37 pm »

It is part of Mel's plan to reduce competition for sushi.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12590 on: February 15, 2013, 08:34:13 pm »

You're going to frighten him off eating sushi!

To be fair, at his age, he's not going to be eating any sushi anyhow.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12591 on: February 15, 2013, 09:41:42 pm »

Today we found out that my sister got into a very good college. We were worrie because she got rejected from UNC and was going into full panic mode. She just sent me a picture of herself eating fried pickles with her friends to celebrate. Yum.

I suddenly realize that maybe if both siblings are in Nashville I should look for jobs there. That could be fun.

Lately I am eating grocery store sushi for lunch at work. Delicious.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12592 on: February 15, 2013, 11:04:36 pm »

My lady got me two out of print games (Java and Mexica) and I got her a christmas tree topper that's a Meeple dressed like Santa. She was pretty jazzed about it.

Tonight one of my best friends from HS is coming over and The Lady is freaking out because she's convinced the friend doesn't like her.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12593 on: February 16, 2013, 03:06:41 am »

JL, that is a really cute story about your kids. I have memories of visiting the hospital at age 3 to see my new baby sister.

I am SO GLAD that Tokyo baby is safe and OK. That is great news!

I'm just diving in to the moving thing. I got twenty-nine days and a sparsely inhabited apartment to vacate. Today I rounded up a bunch of shit that I think will sell, and tomorrow I'm going to sell it at a community garage sale.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12594 on: February 16, 2013, 04:11:44 am »

I also have memories of my brother being born when I was that age. Specifically, I remember that an old man in the elevator called me "young man" and I really didn't like it, but I knew I shouldn't argue with a grown up I didn't know.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12595 on: February 17, 2013, 06:19:42 pm »

Every once in a while I have to deal with a bureaucratic process that makes me remember scenes of my parents yelling into telephones in my childhood.

Right now I am trying to figure out what the fuck my health insurance plan is from work, and coming up to all dead ends. Seriously, when I enrolled they just mailed me a member card. There is no information anywhere on the website for the provider, and the union website still has information from when they were with Blue Cross/Blue Shield 6 years ago. When I click on "Summary of Benefits" it says "There is no Summary of Benefits available for your plan." Yeesh. Now I guess I call them and say "I don't know anything about my plan, or even what questions I should ask you. Tell me the numbers for the basic health plan questions so I can write them down and repeat them to my dad."

I am totally into the idea of unions, and I definitely would not be making 11$ an hour plus benefits at a grocery store without them, but every interaction with my union makes me think they are a bunch of ridiculous dinosaurs grasping at straws.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12596 on: February 17, 2013, 07:55:39 pm »

I am totally into the idea of unions, and I definitely would not be making 11$ an hour plus benefits at a grocery store without them, but every interaction with my union makes me think they are a bunch of ridiculous dinosaurs grasping at straws.

That sums up my feelings on the subject as well.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12597 on: February 17, 2013, 09:21:27 pm »

Every once in a while I have to deal with a bureaucratic process that makes me remember scenes of my parents yelling into telephones in my childhood.

Right now I am trying to figure out what the fuck my health insurance plan is from work, and coming up to all dead ends. Seriously, when I enrolled they just mailed me a member card. There is no information anywhere on the website for the provider, and the union website still has information from when they were with Blue Cross/Blue Shield 6 years ago. When I click on "Summary of Benefits" it says "There is no Summary of Benefits available for your plan." Yeesh. Now I guess I call them and say "I don't know anything about my plan, or even what questions I should ask you. Tell me the numbers for the basic health plan questions so I can write them down and repeat them to my dad."

I am totally into the idea of unions, and I definitely would not be making 11$ an hour plus benefits at a grocery store without them, but every interaction with my union makes me think they are a bunch of ridiculous dinosaurs grasping at straws.

Inev, you make more per hour than I do. And I get no benefits, and am paid under the table.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12598 on: February 17, 2013, 09:52:27 pm »

Figuring out health plans is fuck*ng byzantine. Inev, call the number and the customer service people can help you. They should be able to mail or email you an "Explanation of benefits" that describes what is covered and not covered. The EOB will also explain how much the insurance will cover for each type of service, and any maximums or exclusions.

Customer Service should also be able to mail you a Provider Directory (or give you a web address to the online directory, if they have one) so you can figure out which providers are covered under their system. Obviously you want to avoid non-network doctors and facilities like the plague.

Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12599 on: February 17, 2013, 10:10:00 pm »

Yeah, this is absolutely a good job that I am extremely grateful for. I have gotten a lot of promotions for sticking around and not fuck*ng up.

That said, I am ready for a different job.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 878   Go Up