Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 ... 864 865 [866] 867 868 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1344661 times)

0 Members and 120 Guests are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12975 on: May 10, 2013, 09:07:28 pm »

Next time you could try making Damper. It was an essential part of childhood fires, though it would depend how awesome Danger Boy thinks it is to eat something pulled out of hot coals (it's way awesome).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:12:15 pm by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12976 on: May 10, 2013, 11:32:00 pm »

My mom is getting her flowers a day early, because every florist my sister called said they are closed on Sundays. Now that I don't live in the south this kinda stuff makes me feel fond nostalgia, rather than the pure rage I felt when I was a teenager.

We could have picked them up and hidden them somewhere. But, um, I wouldn't want to put that much stress on our sibling relationship. I hope my mom is impressed that her two children who can hardly remember to eat every day were able to only screw up by this tiny amount.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12977 on: May 12, 2013, 03:07:02 pm »

Camping was awesome! The people running the event took care of all the food and provided a lot of the gear. I'm not going to go into all the details because I'm sure nobody cares all that much, because camping is kind of boring if you're not the one doing it. But we saw a black rat snake as long as my arm at the campsite, which was by far the biggest snake I've ever seen outside of captivity, and I managed to see frogs hopping around and not pass out or have a panic attack.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12978 on: May 13, 2013, 04:10:20 am »

Was it an Alabama Black Snake?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12979 on: May 14, 2013, 05:43:18 pm »

That's awesome JL! Did your kids totally love it?

   
Out of curiosity, did the class leave you feeling like you can now just go camping on your own any time you want, or did you end up intimidated by the whole process?
Logged
[expletive deleted]

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12980 on: May 14, 2013, 06:42:20 pm »

That's awesome JL! Did your kids totally love it?

   
Out of curiosity, did the class leave you feeling like you can now just go camping on your own any time you want, or did you end up intimidated by the whole process?

Both?

I definitely realize that I do not have the proper equipment to just up and go to a primitive campsite if I get the urge. But I also feel like I know what to look for if I should decide to buy some gear, and also what to look for in a campsite given the gear (or lack thereof) I possess.

Right now I could go out and buy (or rent) a tent and some bedrolls (they are SO MUCH BETTER than airbeds!) and we could all spend the night at a drive-up campsite equipped with a fire pit and maybe some running water within half a mile, and we could do it with relative comfort. But if we wanted to pack our stuff in and hike to the site with rucksacks, or if we wanted to stay more than a night or two, or if we wanted a truly rustic camping experience, I'd need to lay out some cash on quality equipment and maybe learn a few additional skills, like building a cooking fire from dry wood and leaves instead of bringing in a huge bag of charcoal or a camp stove.

So, yeah. It sort of gave me a feel for which parts of the camping experience I enjoy, and the idea that there are different levels of camping that may be appropriate for different types of people. If it were just me and Pedro, I'd love to do the truly primitive experience sometime, because that is hard to the core. But with the kids, a drive-up site with nearby showers and a barbecue pit sounds just about right.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12981 on: May 14, 2013, 09:26:31 pm »

TIG clean out my fridge. Gross.

I do regular sweeps for expired food, questionable leftovers and general ickiness, but today is my big "take everything out and throw it in a cooler, then wipe down every shelf and rinse out every drawer" expedition, prompted by an unsavory odor that I still haven't been able to locate.

I live in fear of winding up like my in-laws. There are just two of them in the house, and they have an oversized side-by-side PLUS a stand-up freezer in the garage, and their fridge and freezer are still packed so full (and so messily) that I usually have trouble finding a place to stick a couple of juice boxes for my kids when we visit. It's so incredibly disgusting, I'm sure they've got food just rotting away in the back. It's like some kind of mental illness, almost, that's confined to their food storage areas (the pantry is horrid, too). I just can't stand the thought of all the food that must be wasted because they don't even know it's in there.

Not in my fridge. I have juice boxes and yogurt cups lined up like little soldiers, with the most recent purchases shuffled to the rear.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12982 on: May 14, 2013, 10:48:46 pm »

my parents' house is insane with food. I feel weird here when I buy 2 12-packs of beer at once (which lasts about 2 days, natch), and they have LITERALLY THREE REFRIGERATORS, FOR A HOUSE WHICH NOW HAS ONLY 3 OCCU#####.

Don't cook over a fire, get one of those little gas stove dealies. Even the hardcore naturalist type dudes I worked with at camp used them. Coals from fun-marshmellow type fires are good for hobo packs and stuff.

Today I blew almost all of my "fun" money for the month on car stuff, kitchen stuff, and hypoallergenic pillows.
One part of me feels weird about this, but when my mom asked what I wanted for my birthday I could only think of household goods, so... I guess this is treating myself.

Today I rearranged the ice cream display at work so that the labels for the flavors are on little sticks coming out of the ice cream itself, and every time someone correctly named the flavor they wanted instead of vaguely pointing or asking what the brown-colored one was (GUESS WHAT: IT'S CHOCOLATE), I felt joy radiate outwards from my wicked little heart.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12983 on: May 14, 2013, 11:06:33 pm »

Today I rearranged the ice cream display at work so that the labels for the flavors are on little sticks coming out of the ice cream itself, and every time someone correctly named the flavor they wanted instead of vaguely pointing or asking what the brown-colored one was (GUESS WHAT: IT'S CHOCOLATE), I felt joy radiate outwards from my wicked little heart.

This is an awesome accomplishment.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12984 on: May 15, 2013, 02:45:10 am »


Don't cook over a fire, get one of those little gas stove dealies. Even the hardcore naturalist type dudes I worked with at camp used them. Coals from fun-marshmellow type fires are good for hobo packs and stuff.


Yeah, we made hobo packs for dinner, but then they brought out a camp stove and served up pancakes and bacon for breakfast the next morning. By that time, it felt like cheating.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12985 on: May 15, 2013, 12:36:54 pm »

The only good part about a layover is commuter birds at JFK thinking they can play poker.


Back to demoing a house today. "Para usted" ::hands bottle of water:: I said in 8th grade spanish as he thread the needle between the foundation.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 02:02:20 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12986 on: May 15, 2013, 08:38:42 pm »

You make some money in a game?


Re:hobo packs:
I'm gonna make some hobo-packs with corn leaves and call them tamales!
Logged
[expletive deleted]

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12987 on: May 16, 2013, 03:46:02 pm »

Back to demoing a house today.

The patio... The patio behind the house is about 2 feet thick. It will literally cost more to break up and move this concrete than it cost for the entire property.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12988 on: May 19, 2013, 11:55:35 pm »

God knows Im not the best at keeping up with my responsibilities, but if you can't get it together to respond to a text about planning a basement karaoke party for our shared birthday, I just don't understand what your problem is.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12989 on: May 20, 2013, 01:44:10 am »

The patio... The patio behind the house is about 2 feet thick. It will literally cost more to break up and move this concrete than it cost for the entire property.

Why are you murdering houses, A-cap? Maybe this is the house taking revenge on you for murdering innocent houses.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 864 865 [866] 867 868 ... 878   Go Up