Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349635 times)

0 Members and 158 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1350 on: December 22, 2007, 09:47:37 pm »

Today I am going to wake up at 3:30 to snow!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1351 on: December 23, 2007, 03:55:45 pm »

Today I'm gonna whine about how gray and foggy and wet it is, even though at least it's not cold so I should just shut up.

Also, today I'm gonna see how long I mess with my new satellite radio before I give up and listen to something on the internet. This was an extravagant gift, and even more so if it only works half the time. But hey, it's like you get time travel thrown in for free - a minute ago I was hanging out the window pushing the antenna around trying to pick up the signal and realized that with this new technology I had just moved several decades into the past, like I was wiggling the rabbit ears on the TV trying to pick up a station. 

Oh well, hopefully when the Technical Staff gets home he will be able to make it work properly. We don't call him the Technical Staff for nothing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1352 on: December 23, 2007, 07:51:28 pm »

Golfhaus-- my mom recommends Mario's Pizza. It is kind of far from you, I guess-- it is basically over in Matthews. If you do a Google Maps search, it is the one on Weddington Road. I don't think I have been there, but a few of my friends agreed that it was pretty good.

yesterday, I shopped for my mom's birthday present, went to a nice Italian restaurant for her birthday dinner, and then saw Enchanted with my friends. I liked it, and this was a relief, because I was worried that I was becoming such a horrible film snob that I wouldn't want to be my own friend any more.

Today, I bought presents for everyone else I need presents for but my grandmother. I bought a bunch of books and flashed back to doing the very same thing last year-- the same cute girl was working the cash register, too. It's funny, because she's a friend of a friend who I'd never found particularly attractive... but she puts a cute little apron on, ties her hair back, and puts on her glasses... instant crush.
Also, her (non-identical) twin sister looks a ton like my ex girlfriend, so maybe there are some subtle things at work here.

today I'm gonna-- realize that I spent what is, for me, an unbelievable amount of cash in the past 20 days or so. I want to blame it on using a debit card, but... I would have been just as bad dropping $20's. I mean, a lot of it is xmas presents for people, of course. I knew I had cash, so I spent slightly more on everyone...
 But a lot of it is like... 2 movies, 2 issues of Wired, an issue of Filter, a book of comics, 3 packs of really nice acoustic guitar strings that were on 50% sale... goddamn.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 07:15:04 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1353 on: December 24, 2007, 12:37:52 pm »

Hope Ladainian Tomlinson doesn't get 20 fantasy points.

Oh, and some other stuff.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1354 on: December 24, 2007, 02:55:15 pm »

Today I'm gonna try to find something to do on Christmas for a couple of misanthropes who never plan anything in advance.  It's not looking good.  I thought we'd try to have a traditional Jewish Christmas of Chinese food and a movie. But I forgot that thing where I don't really like movies. 

There's nothing normal I want to see. But we live right around the corner from a very nice theater run by the American Film Institute. Unfortunately, I forgot that thing where AFI is for people who REALLY like movies. They are playing:

It's a Wonderful Life. Why go out to see this when you can probably see it for the millionth time on TV?
The Third Man. Unfortunately, I recently saw this in one of my binges of trying to catch up on classic movies and American culture, thank you, Netflix.
Some French thing to be named later.
No Country for Old Men. OK, this seemed like the most likely possibility, so I looked up some reviews online, till I got to the LA Times one which starts out emphasizing the 'horrific carnage.' Um, no thanks.

This is the French thing. I am sorry that I so uncultured that I do not want to see this, but really, I don't.

AU HASARD BALTHAZAR
Often considered Bresson's "supreme masterpiece," AU HASARD BALTHAZAR is a religious allegory conveyed through the life and death of a donkey. Baptized "Balthazar" by three young children, the donkey is thrown into a life of successive labors and abuses at the hands of different owners.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1355 on: December 24, 2007, 05:10:02 pm »


It's a Wonderful Life. Why go out to see this when you can probably see it for the millionth time on TV

For a while they were only showing this once or twice a year.  I don't know if that's still the case or not, but it's definitely not all over the place.  Plus, it might be nice to see it without commercials and on a big screen.

M'car! M'car!

Personally, I'm getting ready for 24 hours of A Christmas Story.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1356 on: December 24, 2007, 10:25:15 pm »

Today I'm gonna try to find something to do on Christmas for a couple of misanthropes who never plan anything in advance.  It's not looking good.  I thought we'd try to have a traditional Jewish Christmas of Chinese food and a movie. But I forgot that thing where I don't really like movies. 

I'm the same way, omba. I just don't really enjoy movies that much, and I hate seeing abuse or violence in films. Some of my friends have been real assholes about my dislike of movies, which doesn't help. But you are correct, there is literally nothing else open on Christmas Day other than movie theatres. Have you considered visiting the homes of a couple different friends for Christmas Day drinks? Or maybe looked at films that will be playing at another theatre? Maybe there will also be restaurants or coffee houses open, so maybe you could go out for a nice dinner or just play backgammon at a coffee shop for an hour or two.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1357 on: December 24, 2007, 10:33:28 pm »

AU HASARD BALTHAZAR
Often considered Bresson's "supreme masterpiece," AU HASARD BALTHAZAR is a religious allegory conveyed through the life and death of a donkey. Baptized "Balthazar" by three young children, the donkey is thrown into a life of successive labors and abuses at the hands of different owners.

That's the thing about French movie plots... you could come up with the dumbest plot ever, and someone from France has already beaten it.

Pierre Le Feignez, in his directorial debut Ce N'est pas Vraiment Un Film explores the struggle between capitalism's need to compartmentalize society into its demographic components, and one man's confusion over Who He Is and Who He Wants To Sleep With. This struggle becomes apparent to the nameless protagonist through his chance encounter on the Metro with Aurélie, a shopkeeper with a secret. Four hours, fifty-two minutes. Black and white. Nudity, violence, language, and more nudity.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1358 on: December 24, 2007, 11:24:54 pm »

Have you considered visiting the homes of a couple different friends for Christmas Day drinks?

Well, see, for misanthropes that don't plan ahead, it's kind of hard to work this out at this point. You have to assume everyone else has plans by now.

Or maybe looked at films that will be playing at another theatre?

OMG, the current movies that are out at this time... noooo.

Well, Technical Staff has even nixed the Chinese food part of the plan - he wants to stay home and cook lasagna. I said that was fine as long as I didn't have to do any of the work.


Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1359 on: December 24, 2007, 11:49:14 pm »

Christmas is also my aunts birthday (her daughter's bday is New Years day) and her favorite food is lasagna so I think I have had that every Christmas I could eat solid food, except the 3 or 4 I was not eating meat, in which case I have Manicotti (sp?)
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1360 on: December 25, 2007, 03:41:06 am »

This is the shittiest Christmas Eve I have ever experienced. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I hope you cats are all partying down with loved ones.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1361 on: December 25, 2007, 03:46:22 am »

So sorry my dear.  I hope things improve for you.  Hang in there.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1362 on: December 25, 2007, 06:22:45 am »

This is the shittiest Christmas Eve I have ever experienced. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I hope you cats are all partying down with loved ones.

I agree.  Halfly because I have to work in the morning, at the hospital.  In charge of the babies' medications.  These babies don't got no respect.
Logged
ACHIEVE

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1363 on: December 25, 2007, 07:13:32 am »

I'm so sorry.

Good vibrations off toward the rest of your Christmas, if that's possible.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1364 on: December 25, 2007, 01:12:41 pm »

... have a pretty sweet christmas, as it turns out.
Took my Nana to church in the morning which was an interesting experience since it was the first time I've been in ages. I'm an atheist but was raised catholic and I still really enjoy services because of the feeeling of ritual and community, I actually ended up doing the prayers of the faithful seems they just pick someone at random in this church and I was in a front row and there early. Then we tried to find a cafe for breakfast but nothing was open (unsuprisingly) so we settled for a cup of tea and ridiculously rich fruit cake.
Then to the Lady's parents for lunch and so on, good day in the end.
Got a pretty good haul too, highlights were all curtesy of Ms. Lady: Mario Galaxies, a Lego Nabu Starfighter and a beautiful silver pocket watch which really took me by suprise. It's something I've wanted for ages but could never bring myself to buy (which I suppose it what christmas is for after all) and I hadn't mentioned it to her, at least not recently and certainly not in the context of christmas. It's nice when you realise someone knows you that well.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 878   Go Up