Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1344068 times)

0 Members and 191 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3180 on: August 13, 2008, 04:22:05 pm »

Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3181 on: August 13, 2008, 04:57:14 pm »

It just seemed like a completely innocuous, normal, routine thing to think I could walk into my library and search their catalog, but instead this lady is just throwing noise at me about documents and fees and forms.
Ok, so look. I submitted a form online to request a new library card. Today, a week later, I got a letter from the library telling me that they have on record that I, in fact, have a library card. They will not send me a new one. They go on to say that if I want a new library card, I have to go in and pay the replacement fee. Hand signed - Tammy

srsly?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3182 on: August 13, 2008, 07:29:49 pm »

A-Cap, they have obviously decided that you are too dangerous a person to be allowed access to the library and are doing everything possible to discourage you.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3183 on: August 13, 2008, 11:12:19 pm »

They noticed all the Ayn Rand books on your card, they're afraid you're going to try bring the place down from the inside.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3184 on: August 14, 2008, 02:09:58 am »

They noticed all the Ayn Rand books on your card, they're afraid you're going to try bring the place down from the inside.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to can you, Doc.  That's all there is to it. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3185 on: August 16, 2008, 07:47:48 pm »

They noticed all the Ayn Rand books on your card, they're afraid you're going to try bring the place down from the inside.
Today I made dinner reservations for my girlfriend's birthday. "Party of two, name John Galt, we'll be having the guacamole appetizer"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3186 on: August 17, 2008, 06:53:49 am »

I'm never gonna understand the cult of certain kinds of cars.

Does it get me the places I need to go with a minimum of gas and a maximum of safety?

Is the A/C strong and the stereo adequate?

If yes, I'm good.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3187 on: August 17, 2008, 08:38:21 am »

Yeah but there's a difference between buying a car or similar for it's functionality compared to buying it for what it is. It's the same reason people buy art, the possession of something beautiful.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3188 on: August 17, 2008, 10:09:52 am »

I dunno... I guess I just can't look at cars in that sense?

Let alone when you're talking about not even "car as beautiful" but "car's beauty as conspicuous consumption".

Which is not to say that I am immune to the idea of having the best just to have the best... if I were a wealthy man, I'd certainly be of that opinion in regards to having the very best food and the very best media/computer equipment and a room devoted to pinball machines but... cars, I can't see that way. Cars are conveyance/convenience to a dude.

It is hard to imagine viewing cars like that.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3189 on: August 17, 2008, 10:22:13 am »

Different strokes y'know?

and I say this as someone who does not, in fact, own a car. But this has more to do with good public transport than any inherent dislike for them.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3190 on: August 17, 2008, 12:18:48 pm »

I got out of my car and yelled at the driver: "YOU fuck*ng IDIOT. DO YOU SEE HOW CLOSE I CAME TO YOU SPENDING TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS? YOU'RE A FUCK. YOU DON'T DESERVE A BENTLEY." He stayed there, stopped, to listen to me yell at him. He was completely scared of me. I think I went overboard maybe.

This is the funniest thing I have heard since I got out of bed five minutes ago. The way this month has been going, it has set an unreasonably high standard for the rest of the day, I fear.

I don't really understand car love on the one hand. On the other hand, I drive a little green Beetle because I hate cars and it makes me feel better to be driving a car that's so cute that it's almost a little animal. So it is unclear which side I'm on.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3191 on: August 17, 2008, 12:56:43 pm »

I don't really understand car love on the one hand. On the other hand, I drive a little green Beetle because I hate cars and it makes me feel better to be driving a car that's so cute that it's almost a little animal. So it is unclear which side I'm on.

New twee hipster beetle or old made-by-the-nazis beetle?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3192 on: August 17, 2008, 01:42:48 pm »

I dunno... I guess I just can't look at cars in that sense?

Let alone when you're talking about not even "car as beautiful" but "car's beauty as conspicuous consumption".

Which is not to say that I am immune to the idea of having the best just to have the best... if I were a wealthy man, I'd certainly be of that opinion in regards to having the very best food and the very best media/computer equipment and a room devoted to pinball machines but... cars, I can't see that way. Cars are conveyance/convenience to a dude.

It is hard to imagine viewing cars like that.

I don't get cars either, but I can understand that some people just want them. I mean I own lots of books, most of which I could have easily gotten at the library. So that's just conspicuous consumption on my part. Ditto the computer I generally leave on 24/7, Tivo, &c, &c.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3193 on: August 17, 2008, 02:21:39 pm »

New Beetle. The old ones aren't really that cute. Also, one of the reasons I don't like cars is because I am afraid of them. I wouldn't even ride in an old Beetle, they are basically a death trap.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3194 on: August 17, 2008, 03:33:24 pm »

Back in Hampton Roads, there was literally one person who drove a Bentley around town - Allen Iverson. He would park it wherever he felt like, and when he got a parking ticket, he would take it off the windshield, drop it on the ground without looking at it, and drive off. My ex worked for the police force, and said they had a bulletin board full of his outstanding tickets. But they couldn't go after him, because he was the Pride of Hampton or some shit, and more importantly, if they did, there would have been race riots in the streets.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 878   Go Up