Today I'm gonna have actors read the final draft of a play I've been working my ass off on. It's about a class of students dealing with the death of a favorite teacher. It's a real tear jerker.
Then I'll continue to comfort my friend whose husband left for a remote part of the Congo today (for a month with no contact with the outside world) on a UN mission to try to contain an outbreak of Ebola. He assesses who lives and dies. Holy shit! People A got to a tent for treatment, People B go to a tent to die and be incinerated! He has to burn everything he takes with him before his return. I cheered my friend up by telling her she knows what to buy him for Christmas - replacement socks and underwear! She was telling me the UN warned him that the locals hate the treatment team because they wont allow the dead proper burial, and that the majority of the people who finally go in for assessment are too far gone for help. She had their son make her husband a bunch of hand prints labelled "Hi Five!" for his dad to take with him, which started me misty eyed. A month is a long time for a little boy, nevermind my friend.
Then I'll comfort my other friend who's been unable to get pregnant after trying for a year straight.
Then maybe I'll cook up a stir fry for the SO and I, and maybe go to bed early? I'm tired just typing this.
There's been so many tears in the past 24hrs (friends' and my own). Why is it so fuckin' hard to be cognizant? Seriously! I come out feeling like an awesome friend, and like I'm definitely not alone in the universe, so, you know... Melanie 1, CrapWorld 0, but seriously... my spirit hurts. Fuckin' life!