Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat is MAD WITH POWER.

Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1347440 times)

0 Members and 180 Guests are viewing this topic.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6165 on: November 30, 2009, 05:34:42 pm »

...deal with the ongoing fallout of having my Facebook and Gmail accounts hacked this weekend, with the requisite "help, I got mugged in London, send money!" email sent out to everyone I've ever known.   Note to friends: "Hey, how was your trip to London?" isn't funny.  I'm going to spend the next 6 months waking up with hate shakes because I'm worried about the hackers finding the one (there was only one) email that had my SSN in it.  Fuck off.  Besides, why the hell would I go to Jolly Old England during America's holiday of gastronomic excess?

They also set up a dummy email account on Opera Mail, but that account has already been shut down.  I was really looking forward to opening a Yahoo! Personals ad for them, with the headline "Small Dick, Big Heart".

Wow, Ted, London's kinda dreary this time of year, why'd you go?  (DON'T HIT ME)  No, what I really meant to say was, that frickin' sucks.  I feel for you.  Internet hugs probably won't help, but if there's a way I can internet punch that motherfucker in the eye, just let know.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6166 on: November 30, 2009, 05:52:24 pm »

Besides, why the hell would I go to Jolly Old England during America's holiday of gastronomic excess?

I spent London in Thanksgiving once.  My Turkey dinner was chicken curry.  Yumm!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6167 on: November 30, 2009, 06:45:43 pm »

...deal with the ongoing fallout of having my Facebook and Gmail accounts hacked this weekend, with the requisite "help, I got mugged in London, send money!" email sent out to everyone I've ever known.   Note to friends: "Hey, how was your trip to London?" isn't funny.  I'm going to spend the next 6 months waking up with hate shakes because I'm worried about the hackers finding the one (there was only one) email that had my SSN in it.  Fuck off.  Besides, why the hell would I go to Jolly Old England during America's holiday of gastronomic excess?

They also set up a dummy email account on Opera Mail, but that account has already been shut down.  I was really looking forward to opening a Yahoo! Personals ad for them, with the headline "Small Dick, Big Heart".

you must be a big deal if someone went through all that trouble.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6168 on: November 30, 2009, 06:46:41 pm »

Yeah seriously how did this happen?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6169 on: November 30, 2009, 06:52:01 pm »

That sucks, dude.

My hotmail account got hacked once. My password wasn't complex, at all. It was only a matter of time.
Logged

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6170 on: November 30, 2009, 07:16:52 pm »

I think they got into my Facebook first, and since I'm that dumbass who used the same password on both services, they were able to get into my Gmail after that.  Apparently, it's a common enough issue that Facebook has an FAQ about it.  Naturally, FB still has yet to respond, while Google restored me within 4 hours.

My password wasn't that weak: 8 characters, no real words, alphanumeric.  Only weaknesses were a repetition of the numbers and a lack of case-sensitivity. 

The goal of these scams is to find someone in my contacts who's out of touch with me/gullible enough to believe that this scenario is possible, and then give the fuckers some cash. 

All that said, I did get the oddest compliment of my life several times during this weekend: "We knew it couldn't be legit, because you're a better writer than that."
Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6171 on: November 30, 2009, 07:48:25 pm »

I wonder if I should go change some passwords, instead of the work I should be doing right now.

Of course this would mean I'd have to remember all the passwords I already have.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6172 on: December 01, 2009, 12:53:52 am »

Fix your terrible, insecure passwords in five minutes

An article by my current internet-journalist crush, Farhad Manjoo. S'good.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6173 on: December 01, 2009, 03:13:46 am »

Ironically, I read that article when he first posted it, and thought "Yeah, I should do that"

As you might have already guessed, that's about as far as it went.
Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6174 on: December 01, 2009, 03:45:24 am »

i took care of some santa bidness today(what little im conducting this year...).  almost all of my out-of-state friends are taken care of.  also, my TOUAMBSS-person.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6175 on: December 01, 2009, 02:10:18 pm »

Ironically, I read that article when he first posted it, and thought "Yeah, I should do that"

As you might have already guessed, that's about as far as it went.

Oooh, that is the saddest thing.

I will consider that system next time around, but I just went and changed some stuff and finally managed to write them all down in one secret place where I can find them again if I need to, I can't bear to do it all again immediately. I've at least changed that thing where too many of the passwords were the same.

I honestly don't understand a business model that involves hacking into people's accounts and asking their friends to send money. How many people are really going to do that on the basis of one message without contacting the person? And if you know someone well enough to agree to send them money, wouldn't you know whether they were really in London at the moment, and realize something was up? The chances of success just seem so low. It just doesn't even seem like a good scam.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6176 on: December 01, 2009, 02:26:45 pm »

Oooh, that is the saddest thing.

I will consider that system next time around, but I just went and changed some stuff and finally managed to write them all down in one secret place where I can find them again if I need to, I can't bear to do it all again immediately. I've at least changed that thing where too many of the passwords were the same.

I honestly don't understand a business model that involves hacking into people's accounts and asking their friends to send money. How many people are really going to do that on the basis of one message without contacting the person? And if you know someone well enough to agree to send them money, wouldn't you know whether they were really in London at the moment, and realize something was up? The chances of success just seem so low. It just doesn't even seem like a good scam.

A scam was going around here in Minnesota this past summer where elderly ladies were being targeted by young men.  The men were calling random old-lady-sounding names and saying, "Grandma, I'm stuck in jail in Canada, can you send money?"  Then poor Grandma would be like, "Mike?  Mike, is that you?"  And the guy would be like, "Yeah, it's me, Grandma, it's Mike.  I got in trouble here in Canada, and I can't get out of jail unless you wire $1000 to bail me out."  You would not believe the numbers of elderly women who were taken by these horrible people. 
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6177 on: December 01, 2009, 05:11:35 pm »

watch this movie it is even better than it looks
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6178 on: December 01, 2009, 05:26:12 pm »

watch this movie and hope it is better than it looks
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6179 on: December 01, 2009, 05:29:47 pm »

trout, i liked it. it's a wes anderson film, and no denying it. i haven't read the book but i can guarantee that most of the script isn't Dahl's words.

(the link i posted above was a response to bluemoon's post, i should have quoted her)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 878   Go Up