It's because the Super Bowl has evolved into more than a football game. It's a secular holiday and is as much (if not more) about the parties and watching commercials than about the actual football. What I hear you saying is that you don't want to go to a big family party where you're not going to be the center of attention on your birthday. Which is valid, I guess. But why don't you go to the Super Bowl party and get a birthday outing another night? Bingo -- TWO PARTIES WHERE THERE WAS ONLY ONE BEFORE!!!
I don't want to be the center of attention. I just don't want to cook food, go to my in-laws, and babysit a bunch of kids all day -- which is what it's been the last several years.
I don't know how it is where y'all are, but in my husband's family, it's not like Christmas, where the focus of the day is spending time together as a family. The focus is spending time with the television, and woe betide anyone who tries to talk about anything that's not sports-related at one of these events.
At least last time the super bowl fell on my birthday in 2005, there were no kids (I was hugely pregnant) and I could sit on the couch next to Adrian and read a book while everyone else was watching the game. (I watched the commercials.) That was fine. But being alone in a third-floor playroom with a six kids under ten while everyone else drinks beer and watches sports two floors down is not a party for me. It's a chore, and I think I'm justified in saying that I especially don't want to do it on my birthday. Especially when, as I keep mentioning, it means dick-all to my spouse and he's happy to skip it.
As Ash said, I probably should deal with this as a separate issue, because it sucks for me every single year, but most of the time I don't complain because at least it gives everyone else a chance to have a good time. And if it were a big deal to Pedro, I would go with a smile on my face. But it's not, so I won't, and I'm not understanding why I'm arguing about this with you guys when Pedro and I have already reached an agreement.
And I quote (from our IM conversation this morning):
Pedro: Let us together not plan to see the Superbowl this year. Or rather plan not to. Missing the Superbowl is not a wonderful thing, nor is it a tragedy. It is merely someting that is happening this year.
JL: Maybe to you. To me, it is a wonderful thing.
P: Well, Happy Birthday to you. 
JL: You know how it goes. I end up chasing after our kids and everyone else's because everyone else cares about the game. It's not a fun time for me. And I'm willing to do it most years, but...not on my birthday, you know? Especially since you're not that into football to begin with.
P: Yeah. To me it is a family party and not a major event. I like family parties, but there will be others. Complicating matters is the fact that your birthday is a Sunday on which our families are going to be occupied. Sunday = no [Drop In Daycare]. I will not be able to take you out that evening.
JL: We don't have to go out someplace. I just don't want to spend the whole day chasing kids at someone else's house while everyone huddles around the TV.
P: Indeed.
Now to address the 3 replies that were posted while I was typing all this:
You'd have to break up with my answering machine because I'd be at the Super Bowl party. Ha ha ha....
PS- I love you too Jayelle, don't break up with me.
LOL, Paul, I'm glad you're not my boyfriend so I don't have to break up with you. Because it would break my poor heart. Sometimes love just ain't enough.
Yarn and football are BOTH intrisically boring. Now stop arguing or I'm going to lock the thread, and that would be sad.
Yes, ma'am. Although...you could just split out the super bowl bits and lock that, and leave the rest intact.