Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Stone Goddess in DC July 21st-29th (featuring words jldunston said)  (Read 3380 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile

I haven't posted for a while, so I feel like a bit of a shill, but jl's laptop is not near her fingers, and I have GOT to tell you guys about this.


In four days and some hours, I'm going to be sitting in a theatre for two hours with a bunch of strangers watching other strangers say words that I wrote.  It's a play! 

Stone Goddess, a new play by Adrian P. Dunston

In college I wrote this one-act, and I've since revised and expanded it into a full length play. My buddy from college Tim Aldrich entered it into the DC Fringe Festival where it was accepted, and will be running this weekend and next under Tim's direction. Personally, I'm excited as all heck.

It's called Stone Goddess and it's about a man who created a talking computer named Melissa as a child.  As he grew up she was his only friend, and when he was in college he realized he was in love with her, and abandoned her in shame.  Now that he has gotten his life together, he is forced to work with her again, and his life again begins to fall apart.  It's sad, and funny, and nerdy, and I think you guys'd like it a lot.  (Yeah, I said "guys'd".)  Best of all, many of the lines spoken in the play are witty things my charming and talented wife has said (and I stole).  So if you ever wanted a chance to see a couple of professional actresses playing aspects of jldunston, this is it.

I know only a few of you are within spitting distance of DC, but I hope at least one or two Acheheads can make it out.  (Do the kids still say "achehead" these days?)  I'll post and let everybody else know how it went.

If there are reviews, and I think there will be, I'll send them out. I expect they will be somewhere between

"Playwright deserves new kind of Nobel Prize invented simply to describe how magnificent he is."
                                 and
"Repugnant genre play written by freshman author with sophomoric idea of dialogue, plot, and the human condition saved only by the clearly marked exits in theatre."

Either way, you'll hear about it.  If you would like to go, dates and tickets are at the link above.  The theatre only seats 70, so I'd buy them in advance.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Goddess in DC July 21st-29th (featuring words jldunston said)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 06:40:31 pm »

That's awesome. Sadly I'll be grandma-sitting that week and can't leave her alone long enough to get into DC for a play. Life is hard.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Goddess in DC July 21st-29th (featuring words jldunston said)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 07:07:18 pm »

Excellent!  Congratulations.

What are the odds that we'd have two playwriters herein?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Stone Goddess in DC July 21st-29th (featuring words jldunston said)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 08:08:57 pm »

Intriguing.  We have a lot of crap going on the next couple weekends, but I'll have to see if we can fit it in.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Stone Goddess in DC July 21st-29th (featuring words jldunston said)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 08:30:19 pm »

That's fantastic, all the best mate. The plot sounds a right gem.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Stone Goddess in DC July 21st-29th (featuring words jldunston said)
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 08:54:21 pm »

"Repugnant genre play written by freshman author with sophomoric idea of dialogue, plot, and the human condition saved only by the clearly marked exits in theatre."

If you were any kind of writer, you'd have fit junior and senior in there. Bah.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Goddess in DC July 21st-29th (featuring words jldunston said)
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 11:52:56 pm »

Wow, this is really cool, but I will probably not go because I am unbelievably lame.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Goddess in DC July 21st-29th (featuring words jldunston said)
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 03:23:10 pm »

Pedro said I should make a rare appearance to poke at Wombat and make her go. 

*poke* 

Also, I have been away for an unbelievably long time because I have been busy with three things.  They are: (1) writing my MA thesis, (2) raising the child we have, and (2) making another one (due 1/29/08). 

I'm available on AIM sometimes (jldunston) for your chatting pleasure. 

Also, go see my husband's play.  \

Who's the other playwright? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Goddess in DC July 21st-29th (featuring words jldunston said)
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 03:29:43 pm »

Pedro said I should make a rare appearance to poke at Wombat and make her go. 

*poke* 

Also, I have been away for an unbelievably long time because I have been busy with three things.  They are: (1) writing my MA thesis, (2) raising the child we have, and (2) making another one (due 1/29/08). 

I'm available on AIM sometimes (jldunston) for your chatting pleasure. 

Also, go see my husband's play.  \

Who's the other playwright? 

Wait, wasn't the first kid "paid for" with the Masters? What's the charge for kid #2?

Side_show is all up the the theatre world, including writing plays.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Goddess in DC July 21st-29th (featuring words jldunston said)
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 04:43:55 pm »

Ah, yes!  The likeliest suspect. 

Kid #2 means Pedro owes me a Ph.D.  I'll have to accept delayed payment in this case I think. 

Kid #3 = ferrari
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Goddess in DC July 21st-29th (featuring words jldunston said)
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 04:59:58 pm »

Stacey has been hogging the education upgrades in my family.  She's gotten a M.Ed and an Administrative Credential, while I'm still a lowly B.S.  I'd like to get a PhD, but her education has a shorter ROI cycle.  I've got to get moving on some prerequisite classes now, before she decides I've ceded the floor.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Stone Goddess in DC July 21st-29th (featuring words jldunston said)
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 04:14:20 am »

I'll check out the travelling show when it comes to Chicago.

Steppenwolf, maybe?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Stone Goddess in DC July 21st-29th (featuring words jldunston said)
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 09:15:18 pm »

I realize that I/we kind of suck for not coming out for this (at least, as far as I know, no DC area Acheheads attended, please correct me if I'm wrong).  But I'm curious, how did it go?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Goddess in DC July 21st-29th (featuring words jldunston said)
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 09:26:13 pm »

We looked up the website for the play and left the window open on my desktop for a week and talked about going many times. That's closer than we've gotten to going to anything in months. It's the best I could do.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Stone Goddess in DC July 21st-29th (featuring words jldunston said)
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 09:36:56 pm »

We looked up the website for the play and left the window open on my desktop for a week and talked about going many times.

I love you so much.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up