Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Colin Fletcher  (Read 2009 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
RIP Colin Fletcher
« on: July 29, 2007, 05:22:15 am »

I was just surfing Wikipedia and found that one of my favorite writers died last month.

If you aren't familiar with Colin Fletcher, you should check him out.  I seem to prefer genre writers who transcend their genre.  Fletcher fit that category.

He was a walker and he wrote about walking and his walks.  His first book was about his walk down the length of California.  His most famous book, The Man Who Walked Through Time was about his walking the Grand Canyon from one end to the other -- he was the first person to do it.  He was a backpacking guru, author of four editions of The Complete Walker.  The guy made comparisons of camp stoves and fly dope readable (and fairly regularly, compelling).  He included humor, philosophy and a true appreciation for self-knowledge and human nature in his books.

He wasn't the best known writer, but he's meant a lot to me over the years.  I'm going to take a nice long walk this week and think about him.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Colin Fletcher
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 02:03:08 am »

In other news, cats have barbed penes.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Colin Fletcher
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 02:14:03 am »

I read a book last year about a guy that walked the Appalachian Trail.  It wasn't really a very good book.  I only read it because it was written by an artcar guy. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up