Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip  (Read 4748 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« on: July 30, 2007, 06:54:54 am »

Nooo

Meh.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 07:15:32 am »

This strip just caused me to think about dead like me.
I feel the real punchline here is 'yes, I agree' we've been here so many times even Phillipe knows how it's going to go down.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 07:23:35 am »

Onstad has gone from PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE to rotten.com.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Noah

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 08:18:39 am »

maybe the worst achewood ever
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 08:34:09 am »

MR ONSTADT NEEDS TO GET HIS FACTS STRAIGHT FIRST A SPACE TOILET WOULD BE BURNED UP ON ATMOSPHERIC REENTRY IT WOULDNT STILL BE IN THAT SHAPE WHEN IT LANDED SECOND SPACE TOILETS ARE VERY TINY AND YOU CANT FIT A WHOLE KID IN ONE OF THOSE DONT ASK ME HOW I KNOW I JUST KNOW LOL THIRD IT WOULD BE SADDER IF IT FELL ON SOMEONE IMPORTANT LIKE HEATH LEDGER AND THEY HAD TO STOP MAKING THE NEW BATMAN MOVIE BECAUSE OF IT I KNOW AWFUL RIGHT?!??!?


...

I have GOT to start getting to bed on time.  Writing like that scared the bajeezus out of me.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 02:21:34 pm »

maybe the worst achewood ever

Awp!
Logged

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 03:03:17 pm »

I like this strip, for three reasons:

-Phillipe's accepting responsibility in that very mature, put-upon way that little kids have when they take on a burden of some sort.
-Awp!
-The intensely gross imagery in the fourth and sixth panels

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 03:14:39 pm »

Yes.  The "awp!" is excellent.  I really enjoy Lie Bot.  I don't know why, I just do.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 03:18:46 pm »

I like the tenacity of P. continuing to ask.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 03:19:13 pm »

maybe the worst achewood ever

I think you meant:

Worst. Achewood. Ever.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 04:36:11 pm »

I have to agree with those who think "Awp!" makes the strip. Otherwise, eh, take it or leave it. The imagery is impressively gross, though.
Logged

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 07:20:23 pm »

I like it. I like how Philippe confirms that all the previous Saddest Thing strips were in-continuity instead of one-off gags.

As for the grossness, I don't think it's that bad. I mean, this is the same Onstad that brought us Cartilige Head, Ray ripping the guy's face off in The GOF, and of course, "Now you know what it means to have death inside you", which I think were grosser than this. Or maybe my imagination just isn't as vivid as some people.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 08:09:41 pm »

This is developing into the Achewood equivalent of the old Hee-Haw gag where they ask Grandpa what's for supper.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 09:16:32 pm »

Eh, cartilage head and face-ripping may be grosser, but this is more gratuitously gross.  The former were poetic and surreal in their grossness, but this just layers it on without accomplishing anything.  In his heart, Onstad knows the saddest thing will always be a retarded man cradling a broken egg and crying.  He can't beat that one for poignancy, so he throws in gore, hoping if he just grosses us out enough then we won't notice what's lacking.  Basically this strip is the Titus Andronicus of saddest thing strips.
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 10:22:21 pm »

Thumbs down from me. Tired gag, traumatize the five-year old, Onstad's toddler rage. I can't complain, though, because it's free entertainment that is normally spot-on funny.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up